The most interesting Pit Sound EFX

rhythmaniacs

Sounds like you're describing a waterphone. Neat percussion toy.

Yep! that is it !

• 2 weeks later...
The helicopter sounds in SCV's Miss Saigon were great.

Phantom's 07 opening - Vespertine Formations - very, very cool!

Ditto, what was great about the SCV 91 was the stereo effect they pulled off. Having the sound travel from one side to another.

bowing on anything is awesome and fun. Some suspended cymbals don't resonate as well as others, but you can bow on just about anything, criotles are really eerie sounding, and Marimbas are fun too. Tam-tams can sound great if you get it buzzing enough!

There's a percusison ensemble piece I played in college (Normandy...something. . . it was about D Day) and everyone on mallet percussion had to bow for a while.

I've seen some pitch bending done on a vibraphone with a rubber headed mallet, but I'm not really sure how it was done. It was in a piece that also had bowing, I think the title had something to do with Mourning Doves. Mourning Dove Sonnet?

Water Gongs are really cool, they just take alot of preperation, a tub of water and a gong. You hit the gong and then slowly lower it in the water and it changes the pitch. Very, very cool.

A fun timpani trick is to have a suspended cymbal sit upside down on the timpani, and the timpanist rolls on the cymbal while glissing the pitch up and down.

Hope this helps! (:

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

I am actually looking for 2 specific sounds from the Cavaliers 007 show. There were REMO one headed drums that looked like roto toms and kind of sounded 'electronic'.

In the percussion feature there is the sound of zipper being pulled. Someone told me that it is two screws pulled against one another...anyone know?

Thnx

What year (in the 70's ) did Phantom use a Brake Drum During 1812?

• 4 weeks later...

the carolina crown show in 2000(Mask of Zorro) had someone scrap a bell mallet or xylophone mallet against the chimes. it sounds amazing. we used it in our interpretation of their show.

the hand bells (is that what they're called) that SCV used the last two years were AWESOME

also all the sounds they used in 2004