I must be missing something

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great if you future involves being a music teacher or something in the musical field but for the average person - not sure I see the benefit.

I actually think the polar opposite. If you're pursuing music, stay home and practice, whatever craft you may be studying. Of course that's just my radical view. But yeah, you have to actually march to get the full scope of why people go back again and again. They're usually pretty special people. You should march...

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Then you obviously haven't experienced it.

It's possible to march and live in the real world; I spent a summer with a corps and the experience there applies to the real world. Work ethic, discipline, all of that. It transfers to real life.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

how about the life lessons you learn on the road about being responsible and on tme, and beleive me it gets you in shpae. i lsot 40 pounds in my first summer on tour. i would ahve to say that you are right when you say that its something you ahve to experience. you work harder than you ever have for tne minutes in august, and for some reason after those 10 mintues it feels more than worth the hundreds of houirs of rehearsal,

Are you going to ask the same think on HS and college sports Forums?

About everything you asked about (giving up free time, tons of practice, etc) people in corps can also be asked about people doing sports.

Then there is this thing called ENJOYING what you do.... That's why I did a parade yesterday knowning my arthritic toes would probably hurt today (they do :( )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Thanks for your more than insightful response. I am actually an adult who has had the opportunity to watch a couple of friends children march in Drum Corps - but I am also someone who is trying to understand the bigger picture because most of those kids have had difficulty after August adjusting back to college, girlfriend/boyfriends, and miss the "drum corps world" and keep saying you just don't understand. What happens after you age out and don't have that - is marching drum corps really going to be the one thing that determines who you are?

No, it is not the one thing that determines who you are, but is one thing that refines who you are.

Yes, it takes time to readjust to reality, but it also takes time to readjust from sitting around all summer watching TV.

Are you going to ask the same think on HS and college sports Forums?

About everything you asked about (giving up free time, tons of practice, etc) people in corps can also be asked about people doing sports.

There is a difference - show me another sport or event where you have to pay for the privilege of being the top of your game? Let's see - college football players (usually have college paid), professional athletes (ungodly amounts of money), high school marching is a totally different event all together because it is done while in high school.