You're a real comedian

It would be cool for Ratzenberger to do a drum corps episode, huh... They did Zildjian. DCI Made In America?

He's also done a remo one, where he jammed out with Remo and you even got to see Ratz play his drum.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of anyone that ever marched in a drum corps (DCI or DCA) that made it big in comedy. I'm talking television or movie big!

Jeff Cesario & Jason Plawner (a.k.a. JJ Boyd)

Gene Steichen. . . former Colts baritone player from 1973 - 1982.

Currently the "Fig Leaf" (aka the drummer) for the Fruit of the Loom commercials (past 6 years).

Folks in Minnesota might remember a lottery commercial where a guy dressed in magnets jumps onto the side of a bus and sticks. . . folks in Colorado may remember the lottery commercial where the vampire wins the lottery, freaks out, opens the window to proclaim his good luck, and then disappears in a cloud of smoke as the sun rises. . .

Didn't Ed McMahon of "Tonight Show" fame march in drum corps at one time, way back when?

I thought I heard that mentioned somewhere.

Then again, it might have been the voices in my head..... :P

Fran

It would be cool for Ratzenberger to do a drum corps episode, huh... They did Zildjian. DCI Made In America?

John Ratzenberger was the "Ringmaster" at this year's Barnum Festival drum corps show in Bridgeport, CT. (Each year, the Barnum committee chooses a celebrity as "ringmaster" of the Barnum events.)

My brother in-law is with the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni corps, which did an exhibition at the Barnum show this year........ he said Ratzenberger came by and struck up a conversation with some of the folks from the alumni corps, talking about his days in drum corps, and the changes in the activity since the days he marched.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Although probably NOT a comedian, Frank Vincent who played Phil Leotardo on The Sopranos, had marched several years in drum corps in his youth, which led to the eventual formation of his band, which led to his career in show business.

Excerpted from his website:

" He spent his adolescence playing and traveling with various national championship drum and bugle corps. This passion evolved into playing in small combos at various nightclubs. He then met record producer Bill Ramal who became his musical mentor. In time he became a successful recording drummer for such prominent names as Don Costa, Paul Anka, Del Shannon, Trini Lopez and the Belmonts. He found himself playing 5-6 nights a week and recording 3-4 days a week. His insatiable desire for performing soon came to the fore and his drum playing became secondary. At this pace, he developed a stage personality and learned the meaning of comedic timing and discipline which would soon lend itself to his acting career."

Wait..............did they say comedic timing and discipline?? Well............is Frank Vincent famous enough for ya? LOL!!!!

Mr. Shinebox, right???

Tony Deyo has a pretty good thing going...

No way! His brother, Tim, and I were buddies when we were in the 101st Airborne Division (AASLT) Band! IIRC, he said his brother played mallets with the Cadets (including 1993), but my memory could be a little off. Ravedodger, does that sound about right?

Edited by stifled4mallettechnique

Comedians Jimmy Kimmel and Julie Gold both have routines about playing in their high school marching bands, both on clarinet I believe.

http://www.tonydeyo.com/

then you'll enjoy seeing this! you can find some of his stuff on youtube as well.