Flugal Bugle.

Kansan

We are waiting on the arrival of newly purchased K-40 King Flugal Bugle. :rock:

1st: Does the flugal use a special flugal mouthpiece or just a trumet one?

2nd: Should this Bugle be used for solos, played as 3rd par sop or added to the mid range section?

One thought of mine is to have a soprano or mello player use it for solo work. :rock:

What do the experts out there think?

2nd: Should this Bugle be used for solos, played as 3rd par sop or added to the mid range section?

One thought of mine is to have a soprano or mello player use it for solo work. :rock:

I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert, but I'd say listen to the tone color and use it where it will be the most effective in your charts. In a small line you need to get the most out of each player all of the time. That means maybe the mid voice is supporting the sopranos sometimes and other times they are doing something completely different. I wouldn't get hung up on where a certain instrument is "always" scored. Use the colors you have at your disposal to paint the picture in your imagination.

Not 100% sure on the mouthpiece, but regular flugels take a special mouthpiece. I'm sure you could get away with a trumpet mouthpiece, but the sound wouldn't be the same. A 6A4A might sound *a bit bright*. LOL.

It's likely a matter of what type of music your group plays. If you're hardcore jazz and use the middle horns as the sax section, then you should keep them with that choir most of the time. The nice thing is that you can move them from choir to choir as necessary, depending on the nature of the music at a particular moment. The french horn [shameless plug] can fit the same kind of situation. They could be part of the middle horn voice one phrase, and then be the icing on the bass choir for the next.

• Like 1

Definitely want to go with a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Mpc.size depends on player preference, but a trumpet mouthpiece is just too shallow to get a nice sound.

Some prefer a V cup, I prefer a bowl shape. On my Couesnon Bb flugel I use a Bach 1-1/2C fl. I generally don't care for Bach trumpet mouthpieces, but this one on the flugel is very nice and warm sounding. Flugelhorns get a bit squirrelly above a high A, so range shouldn't be an issue with mouthpiece size, if you don't write the parts high.

In Buccaneers, back in the last century, circa 1980, we used flugelhorns, alto bugles, and french horn bugles instead of mellophones. It was a real nice sound. However, in drum corps, you kind of expect the sound of mellophones.

Definitely want to go with a flugelhorn mouthpiece. Mpc.size depends on player preference, but a trumpet mouthpiece is just too shallow to get a nice sound.

Some prefer a V cup, I prefer a bowl shape. On my Couesnon Bb flugel I use a Bach 1-1/2C fl. I generally don't care for Bach trumpet mouthpieces, but this one on the flugel is very nice and warm sounding. Flugelhorns get a bit squirrelly above a high A, so range shouldn't be an issue with mouthpiece size, if you don't write the parts high.

In Buccaneers, back in the last century, circa 1980, we used flugelhorns, alto bugles, and french horn bugles instead of mellophones. It was a real nice sound. However, in drum corps, you kind of expect the sound of mellophones.

With the band I arrange for, I have used flugels as replacements for the 3rd trumpets...we are small..maybe 3 on each part. I wrote the parts as a bridge between the trumpets and the mellos. Worked well for us. Gave us a nice 3rd sound when needed, and filled in some space between trumpets and mello when needed.

We are waiting on the arrival of newly purchased K-40 King Flugal Bugle. :wall:

One thought of mine is to have a soprano or mello player use it for solo work. :wall:

The K-40 Flugel has a trumpet sized shank. You would be best served by getting a Curry TF (trumpet shank flugelhorn cup) mouthpiece. It works well in this bugle. You can use the instrument in a variety of manners, all that you mention above and then some.

I suggest using it as a planter.

Just kidding!

The flugel horn is a beautiful instrument. Sort of the English Horn of the Brass family.

:rolleyes:

I can see why you are in such demand as an arranger. Your creative skills are only equaled by your wit! :P

Jeff

Well, boss, I figured to treat it much like everything--have it play what I think it needs to be playin'. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I figure I'll end up adding a line on the score just for it--should it be "FL1" or just "FL"?--and write it to fit wherever I think it works best, whether mirroring a mello part, a soprano part, or playing a solo. I don't expect to write its part any higher than a mello part, so we may want to group it with mellos just for the heckuvit.

TAFL