And we lose yet another...

This one is a major blow. :(

I had a couple of former students march SW in its early days; and he had nothing but good things to say about the corps. I cannot see this as being anything other than just plain old financial difficulties...without a lot of the bad things that sometimes causes it within the management. Just a sign of the times.

I truly hope two things: That SW can pull a Troop and come back strong in '09; and that this is NOT a sign of a trend. We have lost too many corps recently.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this sucks. I love Southwind, I've enjoyed their shows and both times we've housed with/near em I've just felt that they were an amazingly classy group of people. And I'd buy one of those shirts too.

ah, crap.

completely out of the blue. :[

as I sit here, mellophone in gloved hand, taking a break from practicing the 2008 Southwind Audition Etude, my first thoughts are..

okay, now where am i supposed to go if i don't make Glassmen?

with no CR and no SW I'm down to Glassmen or Bluecoats as prospective corps...

maybe corps in the Ohio river valley are just aiming too high? I can reach four world class corps in less than four hours drive, but the nearest open class is.. detroit?

I really wish people would stop picking 2008 as their year to have financial problems. >_>

come back soon, guys.

Wow...

It was this time two years ago that Troop had to fold for 2006, and they were able to come back stronger than ever. Southwind can do the same. Making the decision now is a big step, and I hope they they work hard to turn it around.

Here's looking forward to 2009!

ugh.

well put alison, thanks for posting that on here.

it was nice having a non-semifinalist corps (as of lately, theyve certainly done great things in there before) push the boundaries of drum corps design. innovative, compelling, and unprecedented shows for years now.

we've toured with them a lot for the last years (and heard them a lot, especiallly in '05 playing the same piece as us....and always playing legends of the fall last before leaving for their performance) and it'll suck not seeing them around. its strange being in a corps that ive felt was directly correllated to the eventual turning of their fate in the 2000 season. one can only wonder....

id probably buy one of those shirts too by the way.

oh and it especially sucks to happen the year after southwind beat madison (still using their old horns i assume, though i could be wrong). no offense to madison at all, but my corps got word of it when it happened (after having speculated about it for a little) and were all really happy for southwind. real milestone in the corps history, though surely insignificant in the long run. im sure there were a good amount of people who it meant a lot to, though.

eh, no offense but i wouldnt buy that one. sorry to be picky.

Well, this sucks. Southwind was my designated root-for-the-underdog corps ever since they came back. If it means they come back bigger and better next year, great, but I'm always wary of corps taking a year off. One year turns into two turns into three and suddenly we're down like four corps. Hopefully a Southwindless year is good for the organization, but it's certainly not good for the fans, or for DCI.

I think 2002 was my favorite Southwind show.

EDIT: haha, someone did my sig in this thread.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!