2008 Finals Corps Housing

Living in Indiana, I know for fact that it is going to be an issue for corps to get "good" housing. School starts the following week after finals in most school systems. This means that bands are in band camp and that football is in football camp. This equals no fields or space to be used by outside organizations. There are going to be a lot of corps staying at middle schools.

How is this any worse than for BOA Regional and Finals when school is ACTUALLY is session and football season is in playoffs and other sports are in full swing and 100 or so bands come to town?

Thank you for your kind words about our community. A hint for you Tom. One of my slogans is... Banners, Balloons & Booms! I will post more as things develop. Also, Michael Boo will be providing some info. for everyone at dci.org as things start to come together. One thing for sure, the fans will love what is being set up for their comfort and enjoyment. Don't miss it. Bring on the Blizzards & Dilly Bars. Hope to see you here.

Banners, Balloons, Booms & Boo ???? :P

Banners, Balloons, Booms & Boo ???? :P

Thanks for the laugh, Liam.

How is this any worse than for BOA Regional and Finals when school is ACTUALLY is session and football season is in playoffs and other sports are in full swing and 100 or so bands come to town?

Because most of those bands are not staying at schools, practicing 8 hours a day on a field and sleeping in the gym. They're, for the most part, staying in hotels and performing their shows at the dome.

It's much different then the DCI situation.

Because most of those bands are not staying at schools, practicing 8 hours a day on a field and sleeping in the gym. They're, for the most part, staying in hotels and performing their shows at the dome.

It's much different then the DCI situation.

Really? Most of those bands stay in hotels? And they don't practice somewhere during the day when not performing?

Honestly, I don't know -- I don't follow the high school scene that closely anymore -- that just surprises me a little ....

Really? Most of those bands stay in hotels? And they don't practice somewhere during the day when not performing?

Honestly, I don't know -- I don't follow the high school scene that closely anymore -- that just surprises me a little ....

Yeah, pretty much. Certainly on the hotel point. You've gotta remember that HS bands aren't as hardcore as DCI.

This also causes a problem for DCI. What if a school district has a "naughty" corps that shows up and does something to screw it up for everyone else. Could mess up things for the future corps including themselves.

This is my concern, as well. Housing issues have been difficult to manage particularly over the past several years. Last year was a major challenge for drum corps and Tour Event Partners due to the schedule being shifted to accomodate tours that would conclude on the west coast (instead of the east coast or in Madison).

Shows that lead up to the championships in Indy should "settle" into regular dates over the next ten years. That could be a good thing.

The possible challenge will be housing becoming more restrictive over that time, due to "wear and tear" on those same housing sites year after year.

My hope is that the drum corps Tour Managers and TEP folks communicate on a high level and really work together to keep things positive.

I feel this is a bigger challenge than funding a drum corps... :satisfied:

-GM