Boston's Elbows

Not to call you on this specifically, but that's impossible, as DCP is only 5 and a half years old.

that's great, Tristan!!! dude got burned...lol

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the OP's question, I suppose it's similar to SCV's dramatic approach to presentation. Are they egotistical for consistently maintaining a visual intensity? Does the fact that they maintain a just-below-parallel arm angle when their horns are up represent passive aggressive egotism?

No. All it represents is an strong value for visual presentation.

Boston's elbows representing passive aggressive egotism? I think you're trying to find Atlantis in a small, neighborhood lake, here.

They're also mostly 13-17 year olds...

Not like those other high schools with their 40 year old professional musicians... :huh:

Not like those other high schools with their 40 year old professional musicians... :huh:

:huh: I thought of this after I made the post, too. I didn't mean to compare Tarpon Springs vs. other high schools; rather, my point was that if such a young group could overcome the musical issues regarding Boston's elbows to win High Music, then it should be just as easily implemented with the considerably older/more experienced performers in BAC.

Not to call you on this specifically, but that's impossible, as DCP is only 5 and a half years old.

Bzzzzzt. Use of logic. Ten yard penalty.

Bzzzzzt. Use of logic. Ten yard penalty.

wow....football on my tv and my computer

I am blessed :)

Actually, Boston was like that until they re-organized in the late '80s ... They were a different corps from then on, in a very positive way.

We had a run-in with Boston in the late 80s. Two corps with reputations for being "bad As" on and off the field bumping into eachother at retreat. Bottom line is that it was only a few drumline guys bumping eachother, more specifically one of our guys not moving out of the way and a few of their guys not wanting to alter their path.......

After our directors talked post show, both corps had to line up facing eachother while we got reamed. Then we had to introduce ourselves to at least three members of the other corps. We found out they weren't devils and were just like us.

The bottom line is that many kids today (and in my time) think they know what their corps reputation is and they like to play tough. 9 out of 10 of them would get their butt kicked if you put them in 1975. Also, most of the incidents today (and then) only involve a few KIDS, not a whole corps. There is always a smart mouth kid that breaks corps rules, and there is always a kid that takes offense or wants to make it a big deal. You have to admit though, they are some of the best memories of summer. Long after the scores are forgotten the stories still live.

The bottom line is that many kids today (and in my time) think they know what their corps reputation is and they like to play tough. 9 out of 10 of them would get their butt kicked if you put them in 1975. Also, most of the incidents today (and then) only involve a few KIDS, not a whole corps. There is always a smart mouth kid that breaks corps rules, and there is always a kid that takes offense or wants to make it a big deal. You have to admit though, they are some of the best memories of summer. Long after the scores are forgotten the stories still live.

Yup.

Having marched with Boston in the first year of the recent "elbow" tradition, I can help shed some light on the true reason behind the misinterpreted visual stance...

When the new visual team took over in 1999, they realized that the old, worn-out uniforms simply did not look good from the press box. They looked much more like potato sacks than some of the more updated, "square" looks that other successful corps were using.

Instead of buying a whole set of new uniforms with money that didn't exist, the staff did the best with what we had and decided that we could refine our visual image with a simple "elbows out" philosophy.

This stance, they felt, would allow us to look bigger and fuller.

The corps was fortunate enough to get new uniforms in 2002, but for whatever reason, the stance has not changed. Although some may not like the new trademark of Boston, noone can argue that it adds a unique identity for the corps.

Edited by Eaglebac

I know Crown had several run ins with BAC this past summer. Their was some squaking by BAC in the mixed AOC arcs..bad enough that Howard W. had to nip it in the bud.. :blush:

I always told the Crown kids when they (BAC) started talking junk to look at them intently and just say "recap".. ^0^

You know Im also curious about this because I heard it was Crown who was nagging BAC. Please explain to me how this happened if Crown can talk in uniform and BAC can't.

I think we should stop this post...it has just turned into a big "he said she said" thread for people who weren't there. Whatever happened this summer happened. Period.

Edited by marchinalong8