1977 Oakland Crusaders

Drumline

Oakland Crusaders

The 77 Line

"Nobody will ever do what we did. I hope you've worn it well" - Doug Bass, 2002

On the afternoon of August 18, 1977, on the field at Folsom Stadium in Boulder, Colorado, the Oakland Crusaders drum line scored 18.85 in percussion (X 14.2, PA 5.0, Total 19.2 - Judge #1; X 13.6, PA 4.9, Total 18.5 - Judge #2) in preliminary competition at the Drum Corps International Championships.

Oaklands were first in every sub-caption on both percussion judges' sheets. The Blue Devils and the Freelancers both scored 18.2 to tie for 2nd. The Oakland Crusaders placed 15th overall, not making finals.

The following night, at DCI Finals in Denver's Mile High Stadium, The Blue Devils would not beat the prelims score Oaklands had posted. Devils would only get 18.8 and the High Drums trophy.

No corps in the history of DCI ever won a caption and failed to make finals.

The Oakland Crusaders of 1977 have become a trivia question. More importantly they became legends.

We are celebrating this Drumline's feat on October 27,2007 and are desperately searching for a recording of the DCI prelim show from the 77 season and would like to ask for your help in finding this recording.

Thanks

Drumline

"No corps in the history of DCI ever won a caption and failed to make finals."

Not completely true... In 2004, the Lehigh Valley Knights missed II/III Grand Finals, but still had the high color guard score of the week. I'm not sure if it's ever happened in another division w/ another caption before, but Oakland Crusaders percussion was not the only DCI corps to win a caption and miss finals, but I'm pretty sure they were the only Open Class/Div. I(now world class) corps to win drums and miss finals. Regardless, still quite an incredible feat.

• 2 weeks later...
"No corps in the history of DCI ever won a caption and failed to make finals."

Not completely true... In 2004, the Lehigh Valley Knights missed II/III Grand Finals, but still had the high color guard score of the week. I'm not sure if it's ever happened in another division w/ another caption before, but Oakland Crusaders percussion was not the only DCI corps to win a caption and miss finals, but I'm pretty sure they were the only Open Class/Div. I(now world class) corps to win drums and miss finals. Regardless, still quite an incredible feat.

This is true, however I believe caption awards were handed out at finals- not grand finals- which would still make them the caption winner. OC, didn't win the caption because of overall placement

I also believe Oakland Crusaders 1995 guard won in Div II prelims but the rest of the corps did not make finals.

Gaurd was second in '95, and the corps was sixth- missing finals by 1 spot. So perhaps, had the corps made finals the guard could have won? who knows?

I also believe Oakland Crusaders 1995 guard won in Div II prelims but the rest of the corps did not make finals.

Gaurd was second in '95, and the corps was sixth- missing finals by 1 spot. So perhaps, had the corps made finals the guard could have won? who knows?

Still not true.

1995 Jersey Surf. They won drums at prelims but didn't make finals.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, nice thread. I recall that year when Oaklands' screaming line kicked butt in prelims, but could'nt perform finals due to overall score. I was playing snare in Freelancers that year and we had hopes of winning drums that year as well when we scored a 19.35 week before nats in Fort Collins. Goodheardt and Sorrensen were judging that show in Fort Collins and we really had a clean show that night. As fate would have for finals we fell short of our HD objective ticking in the drum feature - Toccatta. We placed 3rd in drums following BD and Madison.

In 2005 I had the pleasure of meeting Doug Bass (We were introduced by Al Murray) at DCA. Our entire conversation centered on the 77 line, their style and book. Doug was a snare anchor of icon stature, who's intensity could get all in the line to the next level.

Great trivia..

Earl Brown