Bayonne Bridgemen

A guy form Beatrix' with many old drumcorps stories once told me that the Bridgemen were once formed to keep kids with 'criminal' backgrounds from the streets and learn them new social aspects in drumcorps which will change the rest of their lives.

Can anyone tell some stories about this? I want to write about it in a assignment for school about the social aspects of marching music.

Thanks in advance!

That was not only the Bridgemen, but all of the CYO and Catholic Parish drum corps. Back in the golden years, there were drum corps from mostly every parish that could sponsor one. The Bridgemen were only one of many. Look at some of the names: St. Lucy's Cadets, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, St. Kevin's WEmerald Knights. St. Joseph's, St. Vincent's, St. Mary's Cardinals etc.... Many of the corps that werent sponsored by the church were sponsored by YMCA or Boy Scout TRoop. Some were even sponsored by the local PAL...Police Athletic League...(Bluecoats were started that way).

There is a story about a pretty famous corps personality that was sent to New Jersey from Brooklyn to be in corps sponsored by the town police department. They were called the Police Cadets!

This was the norm back in those great days of drum corps.

Donny

A guy form Beatrix' with many old drumcorps stories once told me that the Bridgemen were once formed to keep kids with 'criminal' backgrounds from the streets and learn them new social aspects in drumcorps which will change the rest of their lives.

Can anyone tell some stories about this? I want to write about it in a assignment for school about the social aspects of marching music.

Thanks in advance!

Not True....

Bridgemen History

Not True....

Bridgemen History

Yes...

but Madonna was definitely in our rifle line!

:blush:

Yes...

but Madonna was definitely in our rifle line!

:rolleyes:

I think I saw her at the Venice one night :P

I remeber in 1975 or '76, Rita Moreno was the host of the PBS channel's presentation of DCI Nationals and she stated (while 27th was on) that it kept kids off the streets and not stealing hubcaps. B)

I remeber in 1975 or '76, Rita Moreno was the host of the PBS channel's presentation of DCI Nationals and she stated (while 27th was on) that it kept kids off the streets and not stealing hubcaps. B)

Gene Rayburn (of The Match Game) is the guilty party who stated that. False statement, as most cars in Revere at the time didn't have hub caps. Imagine, dissed by the man who kept Charles Nelson Reilly and Joanne Whorley off of welfare!

The Stockton "Police" Commodores director, Gene Castles, was a policeman in the Stockton P.D. He worked out an arrangement with the courts to give certain kids, bad but not completely incorrigible, who got into trouble the option of joining the Commodores instead of going to Juvenile detention or CYA (California Youth Authority). It had a profound effect on many disadvantaged, troubled youth in the area.

Can you imagine? You get in trouble with the law and your punishment is that you have to go and learn how to play a bugle from Jim Ott.

I was in drum corps in 1970’s. There were many organizations that helped many drum corps in many places.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada had a ‘baby boom’ in the 1950’s. I lived on a street where next door had 9 children, across the street had 5 children and a few houses from me had 12 children. We could go to the Kiwanis Club after school where we could dance, sing, play sports, watch a movie or learn a craft.

Later we could be in the Toronto Kiwanis Music Festival. This was where youth had music, hard work and competition.

In 1969, I joined a drum corps that was then sponsored by Local 626 of the Scarborough Professional Firefighters Association. Scarborough is now part of Toronto. This was where youth had music (and they taught us how to play and march), hard work, competition, discipline, friendship and travel to other cities for drum corps shows.

Drum corps made us very busy in the 1970’s, usually with no time for crime.

Many Drum Corps in the early days were a great place for kids to go. many were located in cities where there were very few oppurtunities for youth so you often had the choice of playing sports, playing in a drum corps, or getting into trouble. The corps that I think could have epitomized this sentiment was the CMCC Warriors where there were a lot of at risk kids in the corps. I don't think there's a better way to help kids than to have them invovled in an activity that builds teamwork, personal responsibility and passion such as drum corps does.