"Moe"

Moe Knox's actual real first name is "Maurice"......

Really.....

Elphaba

I wonder who in this activity (if anyone) hasn't had their photo taken by this man at some time or the other? As a kid I would, as did just about everyone else, run over to Moe's van as soon as we were done competing on the field and look through all of Moe's contact sheets of photos hoping I'd find one with me in it..... (Thankfully there have been a LOT over the years.... I've marched in 5 DCs and because of Moe there's photograph proof I was "there". THANK YOU Moe!)

Maurice D. Knox, Jr.
Drum Corps Photographer Extraordinaire
Maurice Knox Jr.
Maurice Knox – While Moe’s performance history is limited to a year or two with the Connecticut Hurricanes, his major contribution to our activity is that of an historian who has captured through his photography the essence and history of the Drum Corps activity for better than 50 years covering Junior, Senior, All-age and Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps. No other individual has provided photographic coverage over a longer period of time then Moe. He not only covered the big name Corps but the lesser-known Corps as well. In addition he has captured many individuals with interesting stories that have been featured in Drum Corps World and is the longest serving staff member of Drum Corps World.
  • Like 1

you mean the good ol boy's club. fran that organization is a joke. please don't get me started.

no - don't get ME started... the issues I know you have (had) were cleaned up many years ago...

Don't either of you get ME started. I promised to keep my mouth shut.

Here, let me bring it back up on top and enlighten some, perhaps:

Please Read Before You Post
If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)
If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.
When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.
Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:
The *Guess Who* Mailbox
Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..
Guess Who # 503 ?
http://farm8.staticf...c6a9f41d9_o.jpg

(Thanx, Fish!! You are the Best!)
Sorry Folks, just couldn't let him be simply "named" and move on. He deserves SO much more!!

Both from those of us that are old enough to fully appreciate him and all his work and for those young enough to want / need to know your history and who documented it. Look for this man!!!

Here's a recent pic.:
http://farm4.staticf...cf5bde6c8_o.jpg

And here's some background from the Conn. Hurcs. Hall of Fame Page:

https://sites.google...OC-Knox-Maurice :

Knox, Maurice

Moe Knox’s interest in marching and music trace back to 1946 when he joined the Boy Scout Troop 14 Trumpet Band of Milford Conn. as a bass drummer. He later played bass drum and cymbals in the Milford High School Band. Upon graduation from high school in 1953, Moe signed up with the US Navy. As a recruit, prior to sea duty aboard the carrier USS Coral Sea, Moe played in the Navy Recruit Drum & Bugle Corps. Subsequent to his Navy hitch, Moe returned to Connecticut and joined the Hurricanes in 1958, however, he arrived too late to march the field corps that year and spent his time taking photos of the Corps instead. He eventually did march in the Hurricanes drum line from 1959 through 1961. During those few seasons with the corps, Moe became the first drum corps photographer. He initially shot mostly Hurricane images as well as pictures of the Connecticut Yankees, where his brother in-law played. Following his Hurc career, he progressed to snapping pictures of just about every corps anyone has ever heard of. His archives brim with thousands of pictures of drum corps history. Moe has methodically chronicled this great activity of ours since his first picture of any corps (the Hurcs) in 1958.

Moe is arguably the most well known “unknown” drum corps personality, having been plying his trade for over fifty years. During this time he has served as lead photographer for the original Drum Corps News (1964) and has been on staff on with Drum Corps World since 1974. It is estimated that Moe has shot in excess of 50,000 drum corps photos during his long career in drum corps photography. Just about everyone who has ever marched owns a Moe Knox photo to preserve their memories. He is the pre-eminent chronicler of how the drum corps activity has changed over his five decades on the job.

His invaluable photos are memorialized in the recently published book….”the History of Drum & Bugle Corps”

We Love you Moe!!!

Edited by NanciD
  • Like 3

FYI:

Blogger has changed their whole format. Nothing works the same anymore.

At least not the way, I shared my photos / documents, etc.,

So, I'll be continuing on my facebook account as I get the time and my equipment co-operates.

You can follow along here:

https://www.facebook.com/Historical.Drum.Corps.Publications?ref=hl

Please, feel free to "like", enjoy, "comment".... just follow along...

Duh, so am I. Some of us, just happen to read, as well as look at the pics I guess, eh? LMAO!!

(Go ahead, keep givin' me jabs.... I can take it. But, Don't expect me to "just" sit here and take it. :tounge2: )

you hurt my feelings.............. :cry:

no - don't get ME started... the issues I know you have (had) were cleaned up many years ago...

ok then why is moe not in??? so you're wrong ,y very old friend.

you mean the good ol boy's club. fran that organization is a joke. please don't get me started.

You know, these Halls of Fame can never make everyone happy. There will always be people that take too long to get in, and always some that seem (to some) to have gotten in "too easily".

I do think though that it is not particularly helpful to throw a negative label on a group that is there simply to honor the good work of folks in the activity.

Way back in the late 70s (some of the first years of eligibility) Pepe Nataro and I had a discussion about the (new) WDCHoF. Pepe was worried about whether he would be elected. Can you imagine? The guy was literally a living legend, one of the truly great personalities and performers in history. If Pepe worried about getting in, who is guaranteed?

I don't think it's an "old boys' club". I think it's a group of human beings trying to get it right. Some years you'll scratch your head and think, "huh?" and some years you'll say "I figured he (or she) was inducted 20 years ago".

I guarantee you this, when (not if, when) Moe is inducted, he won't refuse induction because it took "too long" to get selected. He'll take his place among his peers that contributed to the good of the activity, some of whom were selected way earlier and did less than he. On that day, it won't bother him at all.

And he'll take the best photos the WDCHoF has ever seen.

And you know what Dom? If you're selected at some point, you'll think it's pretty cool, even if you think it should have been sooner.

Ask Jim Rice of the Red Sox.

Edited by rayfallon

You know, these Halls of Fame can never make everyone happy. There will always be people that take too long to get in, and always some that seem (to some) to have gotten in "too easily".

I do think though that it is not particularly helpful to throw a negative label on a group that is there simply to honor the good work of folks in the activity.

Way back in the late 70s (some of the first years of eligibility) Pepe Nataro and I had a discussion about the (new) WDCHoF. Pepe was worried about whether he would be elected. Can you imagine? The guy was literally a living legend, one of the truly great personalities and performers in history. If Pepe worried about getting in, who is guaranteed?

I don't think it's an "old boys' club". I think it's a group of human beings trying to get it right. Some years you'll scratch your head and think, "huh?" and some years you'll say "I figured he (or she) was inducted 20 years ago".

I guarantee you this, when (not if, when) Moe is inducted, he won't refuse induction because it took "too long" to get selected. He'll take his place among his peers that contributed to the good of the activity, some of whom were selected way earlier and did less than he. On that day, it won't bother him at all.

And he'll take the best photos the WDCHoF has ever seen.

And you know what Dom? If you're selected at some point, you'll think it's pretty cool, even if you think it should have been sooner.

Ask Jim Rice of the Red Sox.

well i know bill mcgrath. and i talked to him about steve gadd. and he had a lot of crap about why he shouldn't be in. and why doug reynolds did. and sorry but he's wrong. and he has to approve it. good for the people who got in bad for the people who didn't.

well i know bill mcgrath. and i talked to him about steve gadd. and he had a lot of crap about why he shouldn't be in. and why doug reynolds did. and sorry but he's wrong. and he has to approve it. good for the people who got in bad for the people who didn't.

Yikes! I have to admit that besides recognizing the names I didn't understand anything you just wrote.

I am going to infer that you disagree still, so imagine my surprised face and we'll disagree about something, although having read your post I admit that I'm not sure exactly what it is we're disagreeing about.

Yikes! I have to admit that besides recognizing the names I didn't understand anything you just wrote.

I am going to infer that you disagree still, so imagine my surprised face and we'll disagree about something, although having read your post I admit that I'm not sure exactly what it is we're disagreeing about.

what is it you don't understand about steve gadd not being in??? he formed the drumlines for cru in the 60's that won many championships. and what did doud reynolnds ever do? nothing! i know them both. it should be the other way around. so disagree if you must. it's fine. sorry it just pisses me off.