OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

• 2 weeks later...
1977 September 15 Edmonton Journal, photo by Mike Dean.

Nancy, snare drummer, oldest sibling of 3 sisters and a brother,

home after our 10 week European tour.

scan0004-a-2.jpg

Thank you for sharing this picture! You can see the emotion in her face...one of joy, I hope! Thx for sharing all of your great pictures and stories!

Thank you for sharing this picture! You can see the emotion in her face...one of joy, I hope! Thx for sharing all of your great pictures and stories!

You're welcome and yes, joy. The girls had Sr. and Jr. corps in 1977 and in years before. In 77, the Sr. corps had an average age of 16 1/2. Nancy is hugging her youngest sister Lisa (see also page 48, post #474 of this thread). Lisa was in the Jr. corps and too young to go to Europe with her sisters. btw, the 6 snares in 77 were very good. The 3 sisters continued with winter guard for years after our drum corps was discontinued September 1979. They were still young at that time.

It's taken me about a year to get through 1,200+ pages of some old corps photos and enjoying the journey. Yeah, I like drum corps and winter guard.

1977 Alberta All Girls, Rome, Italy, Wendy, multi toms 74-77

1977-Rome-a.jpg

Edit: Wendy is far right multi tom in 1974 photo, page 26, link below;

the drummer wearing the red T-shirt is Joan. Saw Joan at our reunion 2006...

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...6263&st=250

Edited by lindap

I was not in a drum corps family like so many I know. It was me and my identical twin sister for a year, (she was a flag and colorguard caption, I was a cymbal and snare drummer). I moved on, she did not. Although my mom totally supported me, she was not involved with the activity, but I give her full credit for letting me continue on. There are so many kids that HAD to quit drum corps because of college educations that parents would pay only for if they didn't do drum corps...money talks. I knew, however, that there would be life after drum corps and even let go opportunities to teach. It's great to see pics of the all-girl activity which, to my knowledge, is non-existent today, like so many other aspects of drum corps.

OMG! Either those girls are really short or the flag poles are REALLY tall!

And now you know why they didn't spin those flags back then!!!! It was hard enough in the mid 70's with 6 1/2' poles with spikes on the end!!!

And now you know why they didn't spin those flags back then!!!! It was hard enough in the mid 70's with 6 1/2' poles with spikes on the end!!!

I think somewhere back in this thread someone had mentioned that those girls we're pre teens who marched in the Vanguard Cadet Corps. BTW, Carmen Cluna had our guard spinning those same 6.5' poles you mentioned back in 1967 when we were St. Joseph Patron Cadets. I posted a shot of them on the "Some Old Corps Photos Ad Yours" Topic.

Puppet

I think somewhere back in this thread someone had mentioned that those girls we're pre teens who marched in the Vanguard Cadet Corps. BTW, Carmen Cluna had our guard spinning those same 6.5' poles you mentioned back in 1967 when we were St. Joseph Patron Cadets. I posted a shot of them on the "Some Old Corps Photos Ad Yours" Topic.

Puppet

Depends on how tall the girls are. There were times when we'd do a pole vault, you know, like the olympics. Yup, pike stuck in the grass, yikes :)

I was not in a drum corps family like so many I know. It was me and my identical twin sister for a year, (she was a flag and colorguard caption, I was a cymbal and snare drummer).

THERE'S TWO OF YOU!!! Excuse me while I have a daydream about that.

:smile: :smile: :inlove: :inlove: :smile::inlove::tongue: