1965 Buccaneers' Hats

Thanks for the memories, Nanci!

I love checking out all of your historic postings here. I'm amazed at how many I remember personally. Crazy how some details stick with you so many years later!

I recall that this article about the Bucs' 'hat controversy' was in the copy of Drum Corps News that I bought at the 1965 'Evening With the Corps' show at Carnegie Hall. I clearly remember reading it on the subway heading home to Queens that night! Amazing, huh? (Ironic side note: That was the last time I was in the 'Hall' until I went to a concert there just this past Monday.)

Disclaimer and apology: I cannot remember everyone and may not spell some of the names correctly. I apologize for the errors and omissions.

From right to left:

Front rank:

Bruce Englehart

Curt Wiedenhammer

Junior (John to his mother) Ferraro

Ned Baldinger

Lee Deschler

Brian Kauffman

Second rank:

Ken Green (over Angie’s right shoulder)

Louie (Dennis) McLean (or at the left of the front rank)

The horns are double piston (horizontal) Getzens. Only the sopranos (you’re looking at the first sopranos) had two pistons. The other horns were piston/slide Getzens. The second piston was illegal for some contests, notably the VFW and AL championships. The sopranos inserted a “plug”, a short length of wooden doweling, inside the second valve body behind the piston and removed the lock from the slide. The judges checked the horns during inspection. The practices the week of these shows were fraught with panic, as the sopranos had to first free up the slide, which may not been moved in months (lots of slide and penetrating oil, brute strength, and cursing), and then relearn the show using the slide. You can imagine the clunkers coming from the sops during the horn arc.

Thanks, Nanci!

Edited by The Oz

Those hats are not nearly as insulting as say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Playing a trumpet in Bugle corps. :) :) :) :) :)

I was disappointed when I joined and didn’t wear the (now called) Aussies. But if you saw some of those lids close up at the end of the season, you understood the big part of the reason for the change: they didn’t travel well. They were carried in rather flimsy stiff paper boxes that all sported tape jobs on the corners by mid-season. And one rainy day was all it took to ruin the shape. No way could the corps afford relbocking the hats a couple of times each season and ther short lifetime.

It should be noted that the color guard continued to wear the felt hats while the drums and horns went to the shakos.

Thanks for the memories, Nanci!

I love checking out all of your historic postings here. I'm amazed at how many I remember personally. Crazy how some details stick with you so many years later!

I recall that this article about the Bucs' 'hat controversy' was in the copy of Drum Corps News that I bought at the 1965 'Evening With the Corps' show at Carnegie Hall. I clearly remember reading it on the subway heading home to Queens that night! Amazing, huh? (Ironic side note: That was the last time I was in the 'Hall' until I went to a concert there just this past Monday.)

I love, love, love responses like these....

John, please feel free to post directly on the Blog in the comments section at the bottom of each entry. That way, "all" can enjoy and perhaps relive and or learn from your added touches.

You don't have to join if you don't want to.... just click on "Anonymous" and then just type your comments / thoughts / feelings / additional info.

Then type in your name and perhaps your DC bio or not... what ever.

Either way, thanx for sharing your memories!

Disclaimer and apology: I cannot remember everyone and may not spell some of the names correctly. I apologize for the errors and omissions.

From right to left:

Front rank:

Bruce Englehart

Curt Wiedenhammer

Junior (John to his mother) Ferraro

Ned Baldinger

Lee Deschler

Brian Kauffman

Second rank:

Ken Green (over Angie’s right shoulder)

Louie (Dennis) McLean (or at the left of the front rank)

The horns are double piston (horizontal) Getzens. Only the sopranos (you’re looking at the first sopranos) had two pistons. The other horns were piston/slide Getzens. The second piston was illegal for some contests, notably the VFW and AL championships. The sopranos inserted a “plug”, a short length of wooden doweling, inside the second valve body behind the piston and removed the lock from the slide. The judges checked the horns during inspection. The practices the week of these shows were fraught with panic, as the sopranos had to first free up the slide, which may not been moved in months (lots of slide and penetrating oil, brute strength, and cursing), and then relearn the show using the slide. You can imagine the clunkers coming from the sops during the horn arc.

Thanks, Nanci!

Sheesh :wub:

Don't thank me.... you are the one to be thanked! Wow! Please feel free to post directly on the Blog! Copy and paste this as I directed John in the above message. And thank you for all this info!

I love, love, love responses like these....

John, please feel free to post directly on the Blog in the comments section at the bottom of each entry. That way, "all" can enjoy and perhaps relive and or learn from your added touches

I posted on the blog as you suggested. Thanks again!

I posted on the blog as you suggested. Thanks again!

Thanx so much!

I just think it makes it all the more *real*

(well, according to emails... these 'added comments' have connected long lost friends, given a more realistic approach to the 'old news articles, makes it all the more relate-able... I could go on and on....

But, all in all, I guess what I'm trying to sum up is...

This isn't MY site. This is for and about everyone that ever had anything to do with or has a love for or an interest in....

Drum & Bugle Corps! Period.

Obviously, this is a major passion for me... and apparently I'm not the lone ranger. lol

Sheesh :rock:

Don't thank me.... you are the one to be thanked! Wow! Please feel free to post directly on the Blog! Copy and paste this as I directed John in the above message. And thank you for all this info!

Nanci,

Done. And I added the following:

Ronnie Ferraro (the youngest of the three Ferraro brothers) is likely one of those I can't place.

Thanks again.