Favorite D 2/3/Open Class/A-60/whatever Performances of All-Time

Now that you mention it, if you really want OLD old school I remember Les Chatelaines All-Girls winning the DCI All-Girls (would that be "All GRRRLS" today - might be worth looking into) with a great show. I'm always fond of Bizet's "Farandole".

And my goodness, could those Quebec girls throw a victory party...

Wow B)

regards - jim

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1998 Phantom Legion

Should have won Division III.

Should have won Division III.

Agreed...and it was all there's to take too. Until Grand Haven and the Coast Guard Open...the beginning of the end. Oh, the stories I could tell.

But, I saw the corps in July in DeKalb. I worked with the corps since December of that year. They were on fire in DeKalb and just crushed DCM Div. III. Then they began matching up to the DCI Div. III and they were on top during prelims...but then...they took a step back in the Grand Haven finals. Too bad, because they had a good package and a smokin' drumline.

They finished second and that's commendable I guess, but they only have themselves to blame for losing a legitimate shot at the top spot.

From the beginning of the season, I was one saying...Mandarins and Ray Mar know how to be champs. They know how to do all the little things right...they have a winning formula. We need to focus on making sure everything goes right. And for much of the season, everything went right.

Oh, well. Enough living in the past.

1997 and 1998 Tarheel Sun =)

i dis agree i think tarhee might have been the bigest mess on the feild 1997 1998

Agreed...and it was all there's to take too. Until Grand Haven and the Coast Guard Open...the beginning of the end. Oh, the stories I could tell.

Grand Haven was synonymous with "free night" for St. Johns. In 1998 we went from only losing once all season to Mandarins, to tenth place and out of finals for the Coast Guard Open. We finished 4th that year behind Mandarins, Phantom Legion, and Yamato. What a joke the judging at that show was.

Grand Haven was synonymous with "free night" for St. Johns. In 1998 we went from only losing once all season to Mandarins, to tenth place and out of finals for the Coast Guard Open. We finished 4th that year behind Mandarins, Phantom Legion, and Yamato. What a joke the judging at that show was.

Well, it didn't help Legion that one of the tenor players laid the "F" bomb on the drum judge over and over again on the field during finals. Then the judge dumped the Legion's percussion score that evening.

I remember the brew-ha-ha that followed. Regiment BoD members even got into a screaming match with the judges during critique. Another 1992 moment relived by that organization. Nothing to be proud of for sure.

Anyway, I'll still say it today...Mandarins, under the direction of Ray Mar have always done the little things right...the details. They don't make those kinds of mistakes because they excel at discipline. They demonstrated that again in 1998.