Should Mini-Corps Stay Home From DCA

Memorize or not?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Music Allowed in Mini-corps competition?

• Musics stands should NOT be allowed
    • Penalty for use of music stands
    • Music Stands should be legal - but I don't care for them
    • Ok with musicians; ok with me
    • I don't see what the big deal is - I play the flute!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mini corps, I think should have the talent and music at a level that most people would be able to memorize.

Mini corps, I think should have the talent and music at a level that most people would be able to memorize.

Again.. don't see what memorization and musical talent have with one another.

I could memorize ten minutes of music when I marched in corps back in the sixties, and we were taught by rote back then.

Most of us hadn't ANY music training at that point; aside from what end to blow into. My impression was that drum corps had come a long way since then.

The real challenge is being able to pull out any number of tunes and READ them.

But, no.. we've got PLENTY of participants and fans.. let's continue to isolate ourselves from the rest of the music world.

It does really make us special!

Edited by brassomaniac

If members of mini-corps want to use music stands, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Fran

Last week, I attended a performance of the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall, music stands and all. Can't get more professional than that! We've come to expect that as the norm for orchestras.

There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about using them in Mini Corps. However, speaking purely as a spectator, I enjoy seeing a corps or a mini corps more if they don't use them. To me, that's simply the 'norm' I have come to expect in our activity. I was always taught the music had to be memorized.

At the Brooklyn United Show on October 20, most of the brass lines, and some of the drum lines used stands. Many people played with more than one group, and it was vital to them to use them. I fully understand that, but still it detracted from my enjoyment. I am more impressed by those who play without music, but that's just a spectator's preference.

It struck me as amusing when several pieces of sheet music went spiraling to the floor during different corps' performances. I waited to see what the players using/needing it would do. (Most just kept playing and never picked it up, but I wondered if they knew what to play at that point!)

I've played with several drummers who are excellent sight readers, and I envy their ability. However, it's been my experience that they often took longer to learn to play the music properly, and to memorize it. They continued to use it as a 'crutch' long after others had learned it cold. I don't know if that's also true of brass players. As a spectator, I just admire those who go without stands and enjoy them more.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Last week, I attended a performance of the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall, music stands and all. Can't get more professional than that! We've come to expect that as the norm for orchestras.

There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about using them in Mini Corps. However, speaking purely as a spectator, I enjoy seeing a corps or a mini corps more if they don't use them. To me, that's simply the 'norm' I have come to expect in our activity. I was always taught the music had to be memorized.

At the Brooklyn United Show on October 20, most of the brass lines, and some of the drum lines used stands. Many people played with more than one group, and it was vital to them to use them. I fully understand that, but still it detracted from my enjoyment. I am more impressed by those who play without music, but that's just a spectator's preference.

It struck me as amusing when several pieces of sheet music went spiraling to the floor during different corps' performances. I waited to see what the players using/needing it would do. (Most just kept playing and never picked it up, but I wondered if they knew what to play at that point!)

I've played with several drummers who are excellent sight readers, and I envy their ability. However, it's been my experience that they often took longer to learn to play the music properly, and to memorize it. They continued to use it as a 'crutch' long after others had learned it cold. I don't know if that's also true of brass players. As a spectator, I just admire those who go without stands and enjoy them more.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I certainly agree that one of the attractions of drum corps comes from the fact that music stands aren't in the way of the performance: that is, players don't have to have their eyes in the stands and can focus on the conductor and on the perfect performance of the details, which have been memorized. And, as a spectator, I would also prefer that.

I think that it's also perferable, if it's possible, from a programmers standpoint; since memorization of the details of a piece would be desirable for any ensemble, I would think.

However, once you get to playing a much larger book, playing for multiple groups, doing with limited rehearsal hours; and then add in fairly complex arrangements to be memorized, you run into a bigger problem.

Altough I'm sure the activity is full of great musicians, I am going out on a limb here; and am going to guess that the vast majority of players look at a very limited size book for the entire drum corps season. and that they do a ton of reps on those few tunes.

Just not possible for me at this point in my life. I brought my little group to the drum corps scene because it appeared that there was a place for a stage group with corps instrumentation, judged only on musicality.

Viewing several pretty good groups this year, playing from stands, it seems like we weren't alone.

Edited by brassomaniac

I have yet to see a minicorps perform, but I've kept up with Capital Brass and understand you guys perform with a real book. I would give exception to a group that plays for more than one or two venues. I would also have to expect the quality of the performance to be pretty good in return.

That said, when I was in the 101st ABN Band, we had five head charts (memorized), of which, any could be called at a moments notice.

Personally, I haven't been required to memorize anything in quite a while. That's probably a good thing since my memory is pretty bad anyway. I've played way too many charts to keep up with all the notes. :P

However, once you get to playing a much larger book, playing for multiple groups, doing with limited rehearsal hours; and then add in fairly complex arrangements to be memorized, you run into a bigger problem.

I . . . am going to guess that the vast majority of players look at a very limited size book for the entire drum corps season. and that they do a ton of reps on those few tunes.

This is absolutely true for most corps members, especially drummers. I believe we drummers are much more into the constant repetition of our parts than brass players for the most part.

Unless they sight read well and learn fast, most drummers tend not to get involved too much in playing with multiple groups. That seems to be more of a brass players' phenomenon, and using music on stands is perfectly fine, necessary and accepted. Many alumni corps drummers are not readers, whereas most of the 'newer generation' in DCA and DCI are, because it's expected of them.

Bottom line, if Mini Corps use stands, so what? I don't believe it gives any inherent advantage, nor causes any disadvantage to the performers. As a spectator, I just like them better without, but there is no reason why they should not be allowed to use them if they want to.

My sincere wish for continued success to you and Capital Brass, Tom.