Defenders Alumni Corps Formed

Kevin thank you and guess what, She's Not There is the second number we plan on playing after Divergents. The closer will be Solitare.

Well Rick, I waited for a while after the reunion to make sure people really really wanted to do this, and there does appear to be a decent amount of interest.

Thanks again for the positive support.

Dale

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin thank you and guess what, She's Not There is the second number we plan on playing after Divergents. The closer will be Solitare.

Well Rick, I waited for a while after the reunion to make sure people really really wanted to do this, and there does appear to be a decent amount of interest.

Thanks again for the positive support.

Dale

You may be in for a surprise. When the Park City Pride held it's first get together, we expected about 100 people....200 showed up, people from out of state & out of the country sent Emails that they would participate and learned the music over the internet and actually flew in for the Spring Sunday Camps....even from Amsterdam.They even wore their wooden shoes at practice when they came. 99 days later we fielded a Corps of 233 and stole the show.Check out these two sites. If you want to see some Alumni Corps on Nov 17th in Plymouth,MA there is a huge parade and a concert in the Old Meeting Hall (not Free & may be sold out) Sat night. You can see the corps warm up outside( drum lines), and in the warm up hall across the street for free. Good Luck!

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

http://www.theparkcitypride.org/

http://americashometown.org/concert/index.html

My fav Defenders tune is Solitaire. Bring back the burst out of the arc at the end and I'll be very happy.

Any chance you will play Theme Without A Movie? Eric brought it to you guys after we folded and you really had the talent to pull it off.

You may be in for a surprise. When the Park City Pride held it's first get together, we expected about 100 people....200 showed up, people from out of state & out of the country sent Emails that they would participate and learned the music over the internet and actually flew in for the Spring Sunday Camps....even from Amsterdam.They even wore their wooden shoes at practice when they came. 99 days later we fielded a Corps of 233 and stole the show.Check out these two sites. If you want to see some Alumni Corps on Nov 17th in Plymouth,MA there is a huge parade and a concert in the Old Meeting Hall (not Free & may be sold out) Sat night. You can see the corps warm up outside( drum lines), and in the warm up hall across the street for free. Good Luck!

http://www.theparkcitypride.org/

http://americashometown.org/concert/index.html

No doubt that PCP turned out to be a phenom and an anomaly all at the same time ... but ... when we formed the corps' concept, it was pitched as a "one time shot" reunion corps with the focus of a single performance at the Barnum Festival parade and show ... membership was open to anyone who wanted to give it a go ... the majority of people who joined had not touched an instrument in 40 years ... we expected 15 people at our first planning meeting and 50 showed up ... we expected 75 at our official signup and 150+ showed up ... and you saw how the number swelled by performance time just 100 days later to 200+ ... it was an amazing journey ... but, it was only after the success of that first show (and the 100 days that led up to it) that a faction within the corps formed a management team to carry the corps forward as a sustaining combined alumni corps ... they hurdled many challenges over the first and second year to become a fine performing group, now in great demand due to their attention to detail and entertainment value to 60's and 70's drum corps die hard fans ...

So ... my advice is to the Defenders is to pick a definitive parade/show/event and make arrangements with the sponsor to target your corps as the marquee exhibition ... it's worked for 27th ... it's worked for SCV ... it's worked for Madison ... it's worked for Anaheim ... and it can work for you ... the greater Boston area is ripe with talent that your corps will appeal to ... and if I were involved, I would target the 4th of July parade/DCI show/extraveganza that occurs up there ... it's a stable ongoing venue with a good fan base ...

Good luck in however you proceed ...

Andy "one of the original PCP minds" Lisko

No doubt that PCP turned out to be a phenom and an anomaly all at the same time ... but ... when we formed the corps' concept, it was pitched as a "one time shot" reunion corps with the focus of a single performance at the Barnum Festival parade and show ... membership was open to anyone who wanted to give it a go ... the majority of people who joined had not touched an instrument in 40 years ... we expected 15 people at our first planning meeting and 50 showed up ... we expected 75 at our official signup and 150+ showed up ... and you saw how the number swelled by performance time just 100 days later to 200+ ... it was an amazing journey ... but, it was only after the success of that first show (and the 100 days that led up to it) that a faction within the corps formed a management team to carry the corps forward as a sustaining combined alumni corps ... they hurdled many challenges over the first and second year to become a fine performing group, now in great demand due to their attention to detail and entertainment value to 60's and 70's drum corps die hard fans ...

So ... my advice is to the Defenders is to pick a definitive parade/show/event and make arrangements with the sponsor to target your corps as the marquee exhibition ... it's worked for 27th ... it's worked for SCV ... it's worked for Madison ... it's worked for Anaheim ... and it can work for you ... the greater Boston area is ripe with talent that your corps will appeal to ... and if I were involved, I would target the 4th of July parade/DCI show/extraveganza that occurs up there ... it's a stable ongoing venue with a good fan base ...

Good luck in however you proceed ...

Andy "one of the original PCP minds" Lisko

Andy, after that Barnum debut, there was no way most of us could walk away from it. As a drum arranger /instructor you were the right choice for a monster line. Are you retired now or work from home?

Jim ( I still owe Andy a drink because I was housebound for the I&E ) Ormiston, PCP

:laugh::doh::doh:

Andy, after that Barnum debut, there was no way most of us could walk away from it. As a drum arranger /instructor you were the right choice for a monster line. Are you retired now or work from home?

Jim ( I still owe Andy a drink because I was housebound for the I&E ) Ormiston, PCP

:laugh::doh::doh:

My involvement with PCP was well prior to my role as their drum instructor ... from the initial "concept" bar talk with Ken Fogerty to the massive planning and details with Duquette, Rodia, Dorritte and Genero for music, instruments, uniforms, logistics ... to the recruitment of other magnificent staff members and corps players ... it was a trip I will likely not forget ... and you (along with Pat Torre) were one of the first to join the "rust removal" sessions in my basement ... and then with Tony and Duane in my family room ... and then onto the German Club where all hell broke loose ... LOL ...

Andy "retired from dc ... not from life" Lisko

and then onto the German Club where all hell broke loose ... LOL ...

Andy "retired from dc ... not from life" Lisko

For me those were great nights, getting to know Guy, Benjie, Gus, and playing again after 44 years with Wes Wirth, and all the others that attended. I know you are retired from DC, I meant from work. 3 corners for pizza & beer some afternoon?

Edited by Scarlet Knight

For me those were great nights, getting to know Guy, Benjie, Gus, and playing again after 44 years with Wes Wirth, and all the others that attended. I know you are retired from DC, I meant from work. 3 corners for pizza & beer some afternoon?

Not able to retire from work yet, Jim ... but, beer and pizza on a Friday late-afternoon sometime sounds good to me ... especially at the 3 Corners, which hosted the initial PCP meeting and signup (along with several post-rehearsal affairs) ... heh ...

Give me a call ... I work from hom on Fridays ... :laugh:

Andy

Okay ... so ... to get back to the Defenders ... I remember them as the Holy Family Defenders in the 60's ... and then later as the Rockland Defenders in the 80's ... I'm pretty sure they were in Garfield's show in 1964 but, can't remember if they attended any VFW or AL nats or the WO ... anyway ... my question: did the Defenders in the 60's ever play the theme from the TV show from that era called The Defenders (starring E.G. Marshall)?

Andy

Yes Andy the Holy Family Defenders did go to the Garfield Invitational in 1964 and also went to Cleveland that year for VFW. That corps also attended the NY Times invitation at Shea stadium that year as well.

The corps stayed with the church until the end of 1976 when for various reasons the organization severed ties with them. There were many reasons but one of them was the number of out of town kids in the corps, it was no longer a parish organization. The corp parents ran the bingo interestingly enough but the corps didn't get to keep the bingo, it stayed with the church. The 1977 season was the first of the Rockland Defenders and then on to the Plymouth County Defenders for 81 & 82.

Thanks everyone for the advise, we appreciate all the help and support we can get.

Dale