Flying to camps?

When I was going to Scouts camps I always flew Southwest from Nashville to Chicago. Pretty cheap flights, but they're more expensive the direction I'm going this time around. I'll be flying from Nashville to Philadelphia, so you can probably guess what camps I'm going to. I've been looking, and the cheapest flights I've found have been from Northwest airlines. (oh yeah if you know any cheaper let me know). However, they're non-refundable.

Here's my dilemma. I was just about to book my flight and I realized this. My college band has to play at all home games, and missing one is not an option. I'm almost certain most of our playoff games will not be at home since we just lost, but I can't be sure. So the problem is the possibility of rescheduling flights. Northwest happens to charge 100 friggin bucks to reschedule/cancel a flight. That's pretty lame, and I can't afford to wait until just a few weeks before camp to book my flight, or to pay 100 bucks to reschedule.

So, if you have some flying experience, who is relatively cheap and doesn't charge an arm and a leg to reschedule?

Also, just for anybody else who needs some airline info, drop some input on the best airlines.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont book that ticket soon you are going to be paying for the same ticket at a higher price real soon.....what im sayin is that airfares are going to be going up soon and high....do it now!!

I've actually decided to get Grey hound bus tickets, it's cheaper and i'm going from Ohio to New jersey.

I find that using a travel agency site usually works well. It lists a bunch of flights from different airlines. Try travelocity or priceline. I personally use travelocity most of the time, but check around; you may be able to find flights that are cheaper. I've heard of people having bad experiences with Orbitz, though.

Any airline is probably going to charge you $100 for a flight that you have to change. I've never heard of any airline that doesn't. Of course, I think that some companies offer some sort of insurance for changes for about $15, but be sure to check the terms and conditions.

What I usually did was look up the best prices on orbitz...

Then go to that carrier and book the tickets there. Then you don't pay the extra 10 or 15 bucks that Orbitz tacks on.

Also, buy your tickets at least a month in advance, prices seem to go up exponentiallly each week after that.

Some Websites I use:

http://www.kayak.com (searches Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. + airlines sites)

http://www.studentuniverse.com (cheap tickets for college students)

Southwest usually has good deals too. I use kayak.com the most because it's like a google of airline tickets, except that airlines like Southwest, Spirit, etc. don't seem to show up on the search results. Once I find a good deal, I buy the same ticket directly from the airline because that's where it's the cheapest usually.

I find that using a travel agency site usually works well. It lists a bunch of flights from different airlines. Try travelocity or priceline. I personally use travelocity most of the time, but check around; you may be able to find flights that are cheaper. I've heard of people having bad experiences with Orbitz, though.

Any airline is probably going to charge you $100 for a flight that you have to change. I've never heard of any airline that doesn't. Of course, I think that some companies offer some sort of insurance for changes for about $15, but be sure to check the terms and conditions.

Don't ever book anything through a travel agency website. They usually charge a cancellation fee on top of the cancellation fee that each airline charges.