Crossmen '04

I loved the sound of the brass in '04, especially early season before they got hit with the hose. I'd like to know what type of mouthpieces you guys were playing on. Most specifically the trumpets. You guys had an extremely open sound and it's either due to the mouthpiece and/or you had a brass tech that knew what he was doing.

Thanks

I loved the sound of the brass in '04, especially early season before they got hit with the hose. I'd like to know what type of mouthpieces you guys were playing on. Most specifically the trumpets. You guys had an extremely open sound and it's either due to the mouthpiece and/or you had a brass tech that knew what he was doing.

Thanks

Yeah, that was a very solid brassline, (although young), some excellent leads, and some very unique sounding arrangements by Drew Shanefield. Drew is truly a great educator. The ballad was especially impressive that year IMO.

cool arrangements, iffy sound though. just my opinion; your enjoyment of their sound is indisputable and subjective, of course.

01 and 02 brasslines were outstanding. loved the sound in 01. drew's sop solos were outstanding; thats a year where im curious about the soprano mouthpieces because i thought his tone was outstanding. ironically, "open" is one of the terms i usually use to describe it. very free-blowing and full.

cool arrangements, iffy sound though. just my opinion; your enjoyment of their sound is indisputable and subjective, of course.

01 and 02 brasslines were outstanding. loved the sound in 01. drew's sop solos were outstanding; thats a year where im curious about the soprano mouthpieces because i thought his tone was outstanding. ironically, "open" is one of the terms i usually use to describe it. very free-blowing and full.

Only saw a couple corps live in 01 as going on last doesn't let you see much. If they had the same brass staff in 01 as they did in 04 I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing on the same stuff.

Thanks

YEAH BABY !!!

never got to hear it early season, but that was one of my favorite shows at finals. The trumpet feature in the opener was really cool.

like Jared said, it sounded iffy sometimes, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the show much at all.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

In '04 we had several great trumpet guys on staff.... Drew Shanefield, Ed Roush, Al Chez, and Trevor Braselton.

The only guys from the '01 staff that were still around in '04 were Chez and myself....

as far as high brass equipment during those years... I don't remember cause I was mainly working with the low brass but then again I think what's behind the mouthpiece has much more to do with the sound than the equipment itself.

In '04 we had several great trumpet guys on staff.... Drew Shanefield, Ed Roush, Al Chez, and Trevor Braselton.

The only guys from the '01 staff that were still around in '04 were Chez and myself....

as far as high brass equipment during those years... I don't remember cause I was mainly working with the low brass but then again I think what's behind the mouthpiece has much more to do with the sound than the equipment itself.

That is the truth. However, I know all too well that a change in mouthpiece can make great players sound complete different. If you get a chance, check out early season BD recordings from 2001. I'm talking anything around the May-June area. Our trumpets were playing on new mouthpieces early on which gave them a lazer like sound. It wasn't too appealing to the judges so we switched back to the good old traditional mouthpieces that were played on in 2000 and prior and the change in sound was immediate. So to sum it up, you obviously had a talented hornline with some brass guys that knew what they were doing. I'm just looking for that final ingredient.

Thanks ^0^

Thanks

I know the mellos were on Mello 6's. I'm not sure what the trumpets were playing on, but I think a big part of our sound that year was fact that our 3rd trumpets were actually on flugelhorns. That really helped with warming up the upper brass tone.

I know the mellos were on Mello 6's. I'm not sure what the trumpets were playing on, but I think a big part of our sound that year was fact that our 3rd trumpets were actually on flugelhorns. That really helped with warming up the upper brass tone.

You might be on to something with the flugels. Hadn't considered that.