Just wondered what you would do in this situation

It is getting towards the end of the season. Something in the show just isn't being cleaned very well. It is an amazing part of the show, but the section just can't quite get it clean. Do you think it is better to water it down slightly, so that it becomes clean, but not as exciting visually/musically as it was? Or is it better to leave it in and just take the errors as they may come?

If it is not "clean" then it is not working and you are not doing your show as well as you can. Fix it. Make it acheivable. Period. It is what we do in drum corps, ie., execute together.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the section is on the move while playing, change it to a standstill.

:beer:

That wouldn't cause mass chaos and damage to the rest of the show...If that were to happen, you bring in the all-power hose and make sure you can move and play. Points for trying. :beer:

Edited by DrillmanSop06

Definitely not a either-or situation.

My first question would be how dirty it is. (I see that's already been mentioned.)

But the next question is....how would it be fixed? Must it be entirely removed from the show? Do players merely need to be restaged to get the music across cleanly? Or can you subtract a few people from a part and get the rest to nail it? If it is a drill move, perhaps tweaking the tempo or distance a bit would preserve the effect while making it performable.

I'd take things on a case-by-case basis.

In finding a balance, there is a difference between taking out unclean music, and taking out a mess, its the staffs job to determine if its a mess, or if they took it out, they'd be missing out on a musical moment that is just maybe not squeeky clean. Personally, I go for musicality first, and only take it out if it's dirt takes away from the musical moment, other than that, I'd say spend the season cleaning it up, we rehrearse up to 12 hours a day most of the time, I figure an elite hornline can perform at a pretty high level, just have to teach them how.