Improving Tone Quality

MelloFanatic09

Thanks for the link. I do the opening long tones most of the time. Although not as much as I should. And I start a partial lower. But repeat it on all ascending partials until I max out my range.

I guess I've gone and done it now. Dawning fire retardant suit. Here's me (note: Euphonium player) playing an odd model Dynasty Mello (key of G) with a G&W 1.25GW149 (trumpet) and with an old style Kanstul M6 (mello) mouthpiece. I ran through all of my pieces that are in my possession at the moment, but these two seems to have the most contrast in sound. Not that you can tell after compression, normalization, and conversion to mp3. At least not on these lousy PC speakers.

Recording setup: AT4033a mic -> M-Audio Mobile Pre -> Compaq Presario laptop (WalMart Special). Recorded at 48kHz, and 16 bit with jackd and ardour2 in linux. Edited with audacity. Converted with toolame.

I might redo it someday through my DMP3 and Delta 44 which sounds soo much more transparent. As I dream of having a good ribbon mic someday. Anyway here's the link to the sample. In case you're wondering the sequence is 1.25GW149 / Kanstul M6 / GW / Kanstul / GW / Kanstul mouthpieces. Only two samples looped three times. A 1.25GW149 trumpet mouthpiece followed by a Kanstul M6 mellophone mouthpiece, times 3.

http://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_7/mello_...w149_km6_x3.mp3

I don't know what excercises and stuff are the best, but I do know that practicing a couple of hours every day is so important. I actually record one part of a duet piece sometimes and play it back while I play the other part. This gives me an opportunity to hear myself and practice without feeling bored. Sometimes I get so excited when it goes good, I look at the clock and like three hours have gone by. Thank God I live in a drum corps family!!!!!!!![/b]I'm not sure if it qualifies as a good or bad sample. I still have a bit of air/fuzz in my tone that I haven't been able to shake yet. Of my 11 drumcorps seasons, I only played mello for one of them. And it was a short season, of only 4 months, with me on mello for about two weeks of it. Beyond that I have 9 seasons on Euphonium, and last season I played Tuba. I've been working on my trumpet chops for this season, but will likely end up on Euph again.

SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. SMOOTH. The quality was good so I was able to hear it. Got to love those G bugles.

I'm still trying to get used to the F. I'm REALLY not liking it too much I really prefer the G, but I'm working on it. Not as much as I should, but got to start turning up the practice time.

I don't know what excercises and stuff are the best (I like ARbans) , but I do know that practicing a couple of hours every day is so important. I actually record one part of a duet piece out of a book my friend Eldon gave me and play it back while I play the other part. This gives me an opportunity to hear myself and practice without feeling bored. Sometimes I get so excited when it goes good, I look at the clock and like three hours have gone by. Thank God I live in a drum corps family!!!!!!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taught to open my teeth. Yes your teeth does open to a point but make it larger. The goal is to put your pinky finger in your mouth and keep your teeth open to that diamater; about 1/2 inch diamater. (Easier said than done) I have found by practicing this and concenrating on opening my teeth when I play. I get a fuller, richer, tone quality. As stated before, listen to yourself practice and concentrate on what sound is coming out.

Sound: 1 a : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing b : a particular auditory impression : TONE c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective casue of hearing

Try it and see what happens. Just remember that changing you tone quality does not happen over night. Work at it and it will happen.

Eldon, just a horn player who has alot to learn.

This has been a great topic to read and get more imformation on how to improve. Thanks

You know Eldon, it's funny, because I remember you telling me that and every once in awhile while I practice I think "Eldon would say OPEN YOUR TEETH!!"

Now Eldon, who would say "BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Now, you KNOW it's a good topic if Eldon is responding!!!!

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. Many of these I've heard or have tried, and there are a lot of replies I haven't. To answer some questions... yes, I have access to a trumpet I could practice on (and a horn and mello), um, I use Mello 6 mouthpiece, and I've been practicing on a King Mello.

I'll try some of the other tips you've given me and hopefully it'll help some. Thanks a lot... and 11 DAYS TIL AUDITION CAMP YAY. b**bs

-Ashlee

mellophone - tone quality, talk about your oxymoron. b**bs

haha very funny, lol jk

Thanks though :lookaround:

Not my best work, but here's my mello being played by me, with a Bach 10S french horn mouthpiece, then a Kanstul M6 mello mouthpiece, then a G&W Dave Hickman Trumpet mouthpiece. Again, not a mello player here. Just illustrating the differences in sound between different types of mouthpieces on the mello. All things were kept constant, with the exception of the mouthpiece.

http://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_7/mello_fmt.mp3

I had originally tried a much more extreme sampling of a Schilke 13a4a, and Schilke 32, but the pitch effects of those extremes put too much dopler effect in the sound. And it was difficult at best to play on equipment that I rarely use.

If you don't mind a suggestion from an old guy, here's one of the oldest tricks in the book; practice in front of a mirror with your bell about a foot or more away. The next part is the most important; listen and adjust accordingly to get the sound you want.

Remember what it takes to get that sound and perfect it. Won't happen overnight and you'll discover new ways to color your sound for different situations.

Presuming you're using a set up that favors what you're looking for, this is a very effective technique.

Also, if you can, practice with a friend that knows the sound you want and have them listen and give you a critique.

One thing about the Adams routine, it works even better when it is taught by an Adams teacher. Might not help the original OP (french horn player) BUT if any young trumpet players reading this, find a teacher. If that teacher pulls out a book called "The Art of Brass Playing", go find another teacher. :)

amen