Changing Corps

Of course it's vile to desire winning, especially for members of a corps with both the word "vile" and "evil" hidden in its name! :P

Try marching a corps with a director who has been called the antichrist :P (I wish I was making that up)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't like is the assumption in some posts that everyone in DC should be in it to win or to move up. Kudos to the hundreds of people who march in "lower tier" and open class corps and never consider any other corps. You never get enough credit for what you do yet you stick with it anyway. That is classy. Thank you!

Great post - Lot's of kids matching this description were marching with the Colts back in the 90's when I was around that corps. They still have a great retention rate and are making an impact on their kids regardless of whether they are 'in' or 'out' of finals.

Cool that you started life in the Nighthawks. I would have liked to have seen more of that corps.

David

Great post - Lot's of kids matching this description were marching with the Colts back in the 90's when I was around that corps. They still have a great retention rate and are making an impact on their kids regardless of whether they are 'in' or 'out' of finals.

Cool that you started life in the Nighthawks. I would have liked to have seen more of that corps.

David

Nighthawks was a fun little corps. We had a lot of heart - just like every other corps with less than 100 people who keep showing up every year on the field. That's why I'm passionate about being in the stands for every corps, not just the biggies. It's hard to go OTL at 7:15 to stands that are half empty night after night. At least back then the fans in the stands gave it up for us and others - Black Knights, Blue Nights (long before they became the powerhouse they are now), Emerald Knights, and so many more.

I haven't checked to see if there are any Nighthawks recordings available. I should go do that!

I once had a young man brag to me that he had marched in five different drum corps in five years.

My only thought was, "how pathetic, that he had such a difficult time finding what he was looking for."

That is a little hard on the guy don't you think? Maybe that is what it took for him. You could say that the person who stays with one corps having a mediocre experience is equally as pathetic since he/she lacks the courage to change. Or that blind loyalty steals experiences from some kids who are afraid to leave. Cults operate on that principle.

The truth is the "corps" experience is something different for everyone. Kids who march in small corps or weaker corps and have the ability and talent to perform at the highest levels might want to challenge themselves to see how good they can be, or see what it is like to be part of a great organization and experience great instructors and then take that knowledge back and help their old corps improve. They should be allowed to do that.

But, I am not saying everyone should run to Cavies, BD or Cadets, because for some the "big fish small pound" condition is important too. Sticking with something and seeing where you can take it is as enriching an experience as there is in this life. Just don't criticize someone who seeks to better themselves. After all, drum corps is a competitive activity and that is ok, because we challenge ourselves to get better every year in that environment. I never undestood why someone would knowingly participate in a competitive activity and justify their effort with "I just want to do my best and I don't care where I place." It is too much a personal denial of what it is you actually achieved.

so if you went to his corps and came in second by .05 you would be a loser ?

no ring .

stupid.

He wouldn't be a loser. Just someone who lost.

That's why I'm passionate about being in the stands for every corps, not just the biggies. It's hard to go OTL at 7:15 to stands that are half empty night after night. At least back then the fans in the stands gave it up for us and others - Black Knights, Blue Nights (long before they became the powerhouse they are now), Emerald Knights, and so many more.

I haven't checked to see if there are any Nighthawks recordings available. I should go do that!

Agreed..........and thanks for the mention. I aged-out of the Blue Knights in 1984. Several staff people (plus the corps director) from my first corps which folded in 1983 had moved on to Denver and I liked the idea of doing drum with some people I already knew. I also liked that the Blue Knights were spending their first three weeks in California that summer and I had never been to the west coast before. Come to think of it.....before joining the corps I had never been to Denver before!

David

Edited by notelvis

if you or anybody thinks the point of competition is to place 2nd...or 5th...or last...then you need to <fill in the blank with something snappy that cannot be thought of late at night>. not saying wanting to win should be at or near the top of anybody's list or w/e, but, imho (inserted for PC effect), those of you vilifying those who seek to win need to chill out. if 5th place is acceptable to you, then go get a hot dog after you perform, catch BD and Cavies, then scoot on back for finals retreat! end of discussion.

when did i ever say the point of competition was placing 5th???

i said the point of drum corps is NOT just to win. drum corps is a pursuit of personal and group excellence and perfection. that cannot be measured by some guys/girls in green polos wandering around a field or sitting in a press box. that can only be measured by giving every drop of effort that your body has.

drum corps is fun for being drum corps. not for winning. if winning was the only thing that made drum corps fun, then why are there so many people on these forums???

i said the point of drum corps is NOT just to win. drum corps is a pursuit of personal and group excellence and perfection. that cannot be measured by some guys/girls in green polos wandering around a field or sitting in a press box. that can only be measured by giving every drop of effort that your body has.

drum corps is fun for being drum corps. not for winning. if winning was the only thing that made drum corps fun, then why are there so many people on these forums???

Because so many people convince themselves that winning is evil so that they don't regret not trying to do it.

If drum corps is only about winning for someone that is their business as long as they don't hold back the corps because of it somehow. However most of the time even if someone thinks it is only about winning going into it they find a lot more than they thought they would.

Just because drum corps is those things for you it doesn't mean it is those things for everyone, and that's ok.

Are you making the assumption that those with the competitive spirit who want to be champions are not giving every drop of effort that their body has to do so? I tend to think that those who are just there to make friends are the ones not giving their full effort.

Are you making the assumption that those with the competitive spirit who want to be champions are not giving every drop of effort that their body has to do so? I tend to think that those who are just there to make friends are the ones not giving their full effort.

That was my experience in my first corps.

The same people that berated me for leaving the next year were, for the most part, the tickers that didn't work hard and made me want to leave in the first place.