Changing Corps

If the majority of a corps comes back the following summer, the staff can boost the program. It's a fact.

If it's valid for people to leave a corps, then my argument is just as valid.

If someone marches Pioneer for five years and then goes to Phantom to ageout, that PR's finals performance wouldn't mean as much as it would if Pioneer had made finals. At least that's how I see it.

If the staff creates a quality program, then they will be able to retain members from year to year. It's not a chicken and egg situation, the staff and admin create the program, the members march it.

It's always valid for members to leave a corps (there's no contract involved, even if there were....many members are minors, so couldn't even enter into a contract), if your argument though is that there's ever a reason to lay a guilt trip on a member who chooses to change corps between seasons, than I don't agree that your argument is valid.

As for your example, accomplishing a goal with a group is part of what drum corps is about...there's no reason to say that reaching whatever goal PR is striving for is any less satisfying than the goal that Pioneer was going for. Additionally, the corps is made up of more than one individual. One individual, no matter how talented, will make a placement for a corps....if anything, it's the weakest member who will have more impact on placement of a corps, not the strongest. One person changing corps will not effect the future history of the corps....and it's cruel to make a member think it will in an attempt to get them not to change corps.

Peace,

CuriousMe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the members responsibility to participate fully in the program, not to build it. A member has no choice on whether the administration has it together enough to feed them, who the staff is, what their leadership/teaching style is, what the program is, or the level of excellence expected by the staff; the member has no control over anything but their attitude, and their performance. They can lead by example, but if the program around them doesn't have the goal of excellence, what could the member possibly do?

If the corps wants to keep members and build the program, it's their responsibility to have a program that offers the members what they're looking for.

I stand by my original statement, it's not any one member's responsibility to build the program of a corps, so to throw a guilt trip on them is beyond unfair.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Maybe we should just send instructors over their house to mow their lawn on Sundays.

Maybe we should just send instructors over their house to mow their lawn on Sundays.

No thanks, Ill just be happy with a corps that feeds me and provides instruction and an atmosphere that i can enjoy. Sorry if thats asking too much

Or perhaps have the Barri line pay the staffs' mortgages?

Equally ludicrous ideas...everyone has a role; to overstate anyone's part is just silly. Members have their responsibilities both to the corps and in their own lives and staff have their responsibilities both to the corps and in their own lives. A staff member and a corps member each have different responsabilites...each is responsible for what is in their loci of control. To tell a member that if they leave, they'd be responsible for their former corps not achieving in the future is just manipulative and cruel.

Peace,

CuriosuMe

What if you are in a leadership position with a corps? Are you more obligated to return the following seasons? opinions?

What if you are in a leadership position with a corps? Are you more obligated to return the following seasons? opinions?

In my opinion, members sign on for a season. No matter what their position in the corps, barring an exceptional circumstance, I'd expect any member to honor that commitment. But this is drum corps, not matrimony, past the season I don't think that there's an obligation to return the next year if you think there's a better match for your needs someplace else.

Members only have so long to march, do they really want to spend their lives wondering, What if? Does a corps really want a member spending their time wanting to be somewhere else?

Peace,

CuriousMe

Or perhaps have the Barri line pay the staffs' mortgages?

Equally ludicrous ideas...everyone has a role; to overstate anyone's part is just silly. Members have their responsibilities both to the corps and in their own lives and staff have their responsibilities both to the corps and in their own lives. A staff member and a corps member each have different responsabilites...each is responsible for what is in their loci of control. To tell a member that if they leave, they'd be responsible for their former corps not achieving in the future is just manipulative and cruel.

Peace,

CuriosuMe

Lol. True...not to mention the fact that many staff members often leave positions with lower ranking corps for more lucrative jobs. I get it, theyre not really in it for the money, but then again the members obviously arent either.

You're missing my original point.

It means more to me to bring a corps into Finals/Semis than to jump to the Top 6. I'll always feel that way. If you interpret this as a guilt trip, then it's your own personal hangup and not mine.

It's up to the individual person to decide where/if to march the following summer and I'll always support that decision, but don't ever think that moving doesn't have consequences. I could have had a medal, or I could have had my ageout crosssabers. I got my sabers, I'm happy, and I admit that I think that people who jumped to other corps while I marched made the wrong decision. Wanna make something of it? :)

Edited by Pinwiz

No. However, I suspect persons in leadership roles would be those who have decided it is their obligation to stay where they are anyway.

As for the other debate, here's my 2 cents:

There really is no right or wrong way to do this. Sure, if you march in 5 different corps in 5 years some folks might wonder what you were looking for. But so what? That's a person's prerogative. However, I'm willing to bet the VAST majority of people marching drum corps stick with one corps, or at most march in two. Luckily, most of those people happen to be in open class and "lower tier" world class organizations. Without them we wouldn't have much fun come finals week. To be honest, I don't care much about the same 3-5 corps duking it out on finals night. Sure, it's good drama for ESPN, but it's only a fraction of the total picture of this amazing activity.

I'm not for guilt-tripping people. If they want to move on, so be it. Personally, my hope is that kids want to stay with a corps and be a part of the building process. But you can't expect everyone to have that kind of personality - or patience, in some cases.