Gains from DCI

Alrighty, So My parents kinda keep asking me why they should pay for DCI... And I really don't have an answer except it will be a chance of a lifetime and great life experiences.. This is not a question asking for a reason to tell my parents to pay for it. They are already going to pay for it. The question is what do i get from DCI. What will I get out of it in any way material or non material I just would like to know is it anything special to colleges please explain in detail as well as possible I've been running this question thru my head for awhile.

Alrighty, So My parents kinda keep asking me why they should pay for DCI... And I really don't have an answer except it will be a chance of a lifetime and great life experiences.. This is not a question asking for a reason to tell my parents to pay for it. They are already going to pay for it. The question is what do i get from DCI. What will I get out of it in any way material or non material I just would like to know is it anything special to colleges please explain in detail as well as possible I've been running this question thru my head for awhile.

Obviously, you adopt and learn many things. You learn the value of hard work. You learn responsibility, dedication, commitment, teamwork, cooperation. You also gain many memories that will last you a lifetime. Add on the 29-149 new friends you see. At the end, you feel accomplishment and its rewards. You go back home wth a new sense of the world, trying to be perfect at everything you do. You can handle things that would make people quit. You can push through hard times.

Anyone would like to add anything else?

you will get a lot of responsibility out of it because your pretty much living by yourself the whole time it just sets you up for life and teaches many life lessons and also makes you better at the instrument u march

As you sow, so shall you reap.

It can be somewhat cheaper than staying at home with the A/C on high and continuous restocking of the fridge :)

What you'll get? An opportunity to travel around the country... meet different people... a good summer long exercise routine... and learn all those little life things that you're supposed to learn in school, like team work, dedication, etc...

Best thing to do is have your parents talk to the staff of the corps.

You make life long friends who are willing to help you at the drop of a pin.

You become a better musician and marcher, and sometimes, a better leader. (lead by example)

You learn how to do your own laundry, keep your space clean, adapt to various changes.

You, define you.

Thanks guys for responding so quickly... I just wanted some information I could give my parents. Anyways thanks guys I can't wait until the weekend after this one! 15/16 WOO Teal Sound Tryouts WOOT WOOT!

Carl,

We look forward to seeing you there that weekend too. Anyone else you know that might want to audition, bring them along. It is going to be a great weekend!!

As a DCI competitor & a DCI Mom, I would say the top 10 things that you will get that makes the cost worthwhile:

1. You get to compete in a WORLD championships..... Not too many activities offer that.

2. You learn the value of hard work (and I do mean hard) and discipline.

3. You learn to build endurance (you get the workout of your life and learn to sleep anywhere!)

4. You build your musical skills and that has been proven to improve math skills.

5. You will get to travel across the country

6. You will meet amazing people and make a lot of lifetime friends

7. You will get the opportunity to perform in front of hundreds and hopefully thousands of people

8. You will get the opportunity to hear the applause and cheers from crowds that appreciate your efforts

9. You will get memories that will stay with you for the rest of your life and become a member of the drum corps family, which is second to none

And most of all

10. You will have fun!

Not a bad payback for your dollars.