Free day mischief

The Noose Story

I copied this from the Traditions section of the Cavalier web site: http://www.cavaliers.org/years/history/1970/04.html

Our introduction to the 70's didn't take long. We expected it to be Trooper's year with us close on their heels, and we'd heard that both Boston and Sac were doing okay, and that did prove out. What we didn't expect, though, was the surprise that hit us in Michigan City after Troopers took third and we were announced in second ... Santa Who???? The west coast invasion had begun. After the show the next day in Milwaukee, the snotty little left coast upstarts left us a wrapped present .... a noose with which to hang ourselves. We remembered. It was to surface again. (See 1971).

1971 ...

Oh my God, the stories from that year. I promised I'd return to the noose story from 1970, so here goes. We tore up the competition during the early season, winning 5 of the first 6 shows. The show was getting mixed reviews. People either loved it or they hated it, but they came to see it. The big one was Wheeling, one of our home'shows, and the first time we saw Troopers and Santa Clara. We came in pumped up and confident. We destroyed Troopers in the cafeteria at the high school that afternoon when we entered singing - every mother-lovin' one of us. The spirit carried us through the weekend, beating them all hands down, and since Santa Clara stayed at the Hall that week, we left them a little Christmas present, the noose. We soon got it back after the Boston fiasco, and kept it for about 15 years before we had the chance to give it back. What a fine tradition between two great competitors. Don't you miss those days?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst free day ever - laundry day in Tennesse in '04. People got drunk, caused mayhem, Ed Devlin made life the next day a complete hell. We did stretch and run in the morning, then ran about a mile after breakfast as punishment, then started to do basics block. It went something like this:

(8 counts into a figure 8 block) "STOP! PUT 'EM DOWN! RUN!"

(we run the equivalent of a 1/3 of a mile or so)

"Get back in and come to set."

::gock:: ::gock:: "NO! Bad horns up! Run again"

This happened repeatedly throughout the block. I think we finally made it through one figure eight block after about 4-5 failed attempts and runs. We were repping at like 200 bpm and doing seven count air at ff the whole time. My favorite quote from the day was when one of our bari players passed out during drill rehearsal and an ambulance pulled on to the field to check her out: "Hey, just march as close as you can to the ambulance without hitting it."

The best part, though? The brass staff decided it was hornline conditioning day during brass block - which meant sprinting to touch trees and lightposts and stuff and then running difficult chunks of the show. It was worse than anything I ever experienced at Crossmen, and I think a lot of the people that went on to march Cadets would tell you it was about as bad a block as they ever went through there. Plus it wins for the sheer hilarity of marching around an ambulance on the field.

Ugh, that reminds me about this one day we had in '04 coincidently. We had just gotten a half free-day and were given the chance to explore around Denver while I&E was going on. But before we left, our instructors told us to bring an extra change of clothes and didn't say anything else. By the time we were on the bus and heading back, we get an announcement from one of the staff that we would be rehearsing till late at night because they had made some changes to the show. We were all so tired because we had been walking around all day and now we had to suit up and go rehearse. It was the most tiring, frustrating day because we had just spent the first half relaxing and the other half working. And because we kept making mistakes and our instructors were getting mad. The only good thing that came out of it was that our visual score improved a bit at our next show but man. I was hating life that day.

Edited by sopchick_01

Some of you guys had no morals. When we had a free day the whole Corps would spend the entire time in Church and all our extra tour money went into the collection plate. BTW - I hope that nobody really believes that. :thumbup:

:thumbup::huh: Ok, you got me for a second there.. Edited by sopchick_01

Beer in general has an AWFUL Taste.

wow, thats such a weird coincidence, i think i actually read that fact somewhere a few days ago. might have been a book in the library or something, im not sure.

wow, thats such a weird coincidence, i think i actually read that fact somewhere a few days ago. might have been a book in the library or something, im not sure.

No, I know what you are talking about, it's in the book "Amber Brown is not a Crayon." I read it years ago.

I hate beer. In my life I have had what would probably amount to a grand total of two 12-ounce cans. One at a single session and the rest spread over the other 54 years of my life.

And yet, strangely, last year in China I found out I could drink their beer without wretching. I got sick of having warm Coke and warm Sprite at every meal and we had to pay for the the bottled water, but the beer was cold and came with the meals and finally I broke down and tried it. Then this year, back in China, I took a tour of the Tsingtao Beer factory and actually enjoyed the beer at the end. But their beer is only 2.2% alcohol. The beer they export to the rest of the world is 4% except fot the beer sent to America, which is 5%. Can one taste alcohol? Maybe I just don't care much for the alcohol content of American beer. Is that possible?

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

In Lake Havasu City, we called it a half day and went to the lake. I hate swimming (even in arizona), so I went over to the bridge and did some sight-seeing and bought lunch instead. I didn't break any rules, but it was sure fun having a little bit of time for myself, away from the rest of the corps. And on my way back I bought a pizza, and shared it with a few other members that I passed by (they were going to the bridge too).

I feel left out. I had my first drink when I was 21 and didn't try beer until I took the Coors factory tour during DCI Worlds in 1978 after aging out. (Couldn't finish it.) Someone please tell me I'm not alone in this.

I'm with you, kinda. I've never drank or been drunk and never will. I could go into detail with my reasons, but I'd hate to tick some people off.

I wonder if mass marketing drove most of those smaller pop makers out of business? I used to see Chicagoland's Canfield's all over the place, and now I can't find them anymore. I should Google them and see if they even still exist. There was something fun about trying out the different regional pops because tastes were so different from region to region before the "McDonald's-ization" of America.

For anyone going to the Atlanta DCI regional, I highly recommend the World of Coca-Cola, the new one being right next to the remarkable Georgia Aquarium. It has a tasting room where you can try out all their products from around the world. And get back to me after you taste Beverly.

I tried Beverly in the old museum a few years ago. That stuff was horrid. It's definitely the kind of thing where you say "This is horrible. You have to try it!"