Can we Stop Using the Words Graduation and Faculty Now ?

I think they are also trying to legitimize themselves with HS and college band directors who are more high brow and don't buy in to the idea that drum corps is a serious place for music.

True enough. Here are 2 things to consider about drum corps vs. HS music programs:

1. Corps won't give you much music theory education. If you are going to pursue music in college, a good high school program should give you enough theory background to be able to avoid remedial music courses. (I was a TA at the Univ. of Texas while getting my masters in music theory, and I saw lots of kids who hadn't gotten enough basics to pass the diagnostics so I know there are gaps here.)

2. High school programs have the concert season to spend time learning major concert works, and hopefully dropping in a little bit of music history/literature in classes when possible. While I was exposed to a lot of great classical and jazz during my corps years, I was so saturated by each corps' arrangements that it was difficult at first to listen to the entirety of pieces like Appalachian Spring or West Side Story. (and then I grew up and got over the "it's not like corps!" moment. Now I get frustrated with a lot of corps arrangements, but I get over it eventually. :cool: )

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I have never been comfortable with the words graduation and faculty being used in drum corps. Sorry to the folks and corps who like using these words. According to Webster's Dictionary, there use in today's DCI drum corps doesn't make sense.

Websters.....not me

Faculty: All the teachers of a school, college, or university or of one of its departments or divisions.

Maybe Spirit can use this word but they would be the only one.

Graduation: A graduating or being graduated from a school or college.

I agree with you completely. And I don't understand why those words are supposedly okay, but the term "marching band" is so universally rejected. Drum corps is a lot more like a marching band than it is a school.