Rule Proposal 2008-06

Rules 2008  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Use of Electronic Instruments

• No; maintain that electronic instruments are not allowed
    • Yes; allow electronic instruments according to the proposal

After re-reading this proposal, I have great concern that there is a huge hole.

It says that you cannot use sampled wind instruments. OK, so let's say that I wanted to get around that little rule and have a clarinet. It's pretty simple.

All you need to do is to get a synthesized clarinet sound instead of a sampled one.

And for anyone who doesn't know, a saxophone sound is the easiest to make realistic through synthesis. It's just a characteristic of the instrument.

So "for performance purposes", let's be very clear. This is a hole you can drive a truck through.

I love the irony in the last statement... "Judge what we do... And how well we do it. Kind of like singing. :) "

I gotta say, even though these proposals are horrible IMO ($1 to TX), at least he has a sense of humor...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MORE THEREMIN!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the Ondes Martenot. That way we can finally bring a legitimate rendition of Messiaen's "Turangalia Symphony" to the field.

I swear we have had this conversation,

We have.

Side A thinks the Cadets/BD/whoever takes the new rules to the extreme, while Side B thinks keeping things the "old way" are extreme.

No.

...but it will pass anyway. The "creative minds" in the design subcommitee will push this on through, and you'll get to see lots of fun shows built around the brilliante sound of the oboe, violas, and whatever else a lazy designer wants to try out for his marching bands he writes for the next year.

Whatever creative gain we could get out of this will be lost as most designers will just use even more creative shorthand in a show...and keeps on keeping on until we're all one big happy homogenous educational super-happy-fun time.

Yay.

its not that adding electronics changes the activity that i have a problem with... it is the possibility of making DC less demanding that is my problem.

its not that adding electronics changes the activity that i have a problem with... it is the possibility of making DC less demanding that is my problem.

Yep. One of the cornerstone arguments against sampling is that the creative sounds used and thought up by some of the best minds out there will be replaced with the push of a button. Whether it's a marching machine, chains dropping, helicopter noises, thunder, or any number of other effects, these will no longer be a part of drum corps, except in how they were pre-recorded, and played back.

In addition, we have amplification in the pit now, allowing for a whole lot more opportunity. What exactly is needed that can't be reproduced live?

That, to me, is the most disappointing, soul-robbing aspect of sampling.

Yep. One of the cornerstone arguments against sampling is that the creative sounds used and thought up by some of the best minds out there will be replaced with the push of a button. Whether it's a marching machine, chains dropping, helicopter noises, thunder, or any number of other effects, these will no longer be a part of drum corps, except in how they were pre-recorded, and played back.

In addition, we have amplification in the pit now, allowing for a whole lot more opportunity. What exactly is needed that can't be reproduced live?

That, to me, is the most disappointing, soul-robbing aspect of sampling.

As a member, I don't know if I'd be willing to pay thousands of dollars to push a button for my solo... I don't think anything will go that extreme level. Maybe sound effects, but certainly not played parts

As a member, I don't know if I'd be willing to pay thousands of dollars to push a button for my solo... I don't think anything will go that extreme level. Maybe sound effects, but certainly not played parts

Actually, I'm talking specifically about sound effects. I played an ocean drum one year... I guarantee you that if sampling was allowed, it would have been. Ocean drums are a PITA to play right, and since that was pre-mic, it was tough to get loud enough. Today, the ocean drum would have been played through an amp. But IMO, I think it would be sad if that type of thing that I had to master would be replaced with a button press. To think about that makes me physically ill; no exaggeration.

I think as long as there is a microphone available, there is absolutely no need for sampling. I think there is an argument that can be made for and against the amplification of instruments in the pit only, but as long as there is amplification, the concept of samples is illogical to me.

As I've asked before, what are you going to get out of sampling that can't be done today? I'm well-versed in the electronic/sampling areas personally, and the only thing you're going to take from it, IMO, is a lazy approach to effects. The art of Foley is alive and well in drum corps, and it would be tragic to reduce that (or anything in drum corps) to a button.

There are some times when this would rock and stink. Using a mallet kat for a calypso beat rocks, but this is drum corps. we have survived years with out it, I think we'll be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

85% against the future of Drum Corps, man, they sure are stupid, why do they hate progress? They’ll get use to it, they’ll buy whatever we give them, they always do. We know what’s best for them, we know what our fans should want

this one tied last year

hey, I'm american, I'm use to stupid voters and even worse results

85% against the future of Drum Corps, man, they sure are stupid, why do they hate progress? They’ll get use to it, they’ll buy whatever we give them, they always do. We know what’s best for them, we know what our fans should want

this one tied last year

hey, I'm american, I'm use to stupid voters and even worse results

LOL.

I was shocked to read that it tied. I just don't get why they want to add these things instead of coming up with more creative ways of making these sounds. I can just see it NOW, the future of drum corps is less front line and more electronics with more technical people running them.

I just don't see how that is so innovative since it's already been used in bands?

Wow...that :smile: big time!