Rule Proposal 2008-09

Rules 2008  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification limited to Front Ensemble percussion instruments

• No; amplification remains as is, not necessarily limited to percussion
    • Yes; sounds created by members themselves (i.e., voice, narration, whistling, breathing, sound effects, etc.) are made illegal

Judging by the friends I talk to, people I know, over hearing things during shows, I may not be able to speak for everyone, but I know my opinion is shared by a lot more then me judging from my sampling of the drum corps audience. Then, you come to DCP and read everyone's comments and reviews, I'd have to say using my sampling and DCP, you are in the minority here.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it makes no sense to limit voice as an instrument. It's a perfectly valid instrument in drum corps shows, as it has been for decades.

I didn't state that it does or doesn't make sense to limit voice, I said that if the intention "of the proposal" was to limit the scope of voice implementation, then the "proposal" makes perfect sense (eliminating "amplified" voice certainly limits the scope of how voice may be used). Likewise, I believe I pointed out that I'm not sure I'm ready to agree with the proposal. Maybe an instance of poor writing on my part.

And then you have to throw in another viewpoint, the one of those of us who actually attended multiple shows and saw first hand the reactions....pretty much doesnt agree with the "Mike D" viewpoint. Valid, credible, or not. And no, you dont have to attend shows to have an opinion, but to take part in a discussion of reactions at shows ? yeah...pretty much you should have been there. IMO

~G~

I will actually lose more respect for Cadets and Hop if they change their vision based on idiots who cat call and yell stupid things to the corps at shows. I am sure you are referring to other reactions besides this kind, but honestly, for any corps out there I would hope they would not change their vision based on a vocal minority. I think there were just as many cheering the corps on as people who sat on their hands or said dumb things out loud against the corps/Hop.

I will actually lose more respect for Cadets and Hop if they change their vision based on idiots who cat call and yell stupid things to the corps at shows. I am sure you are referring to other reactions besides this kind, but honestly, for any corps out there I would hope they would not change their vision based on a vocal minority. I think there were just as many cheering the corps on as people who sat on their hands or said dumb things out loud against the corps/Hop.

Agreed... the vocal minority is not worth bending for. You just have to watch out for that ######## the Silent Majority... ;)

Indeed, the vocal minority, average joes with no respect, and the passive fan should not have an influence in major decisions wether they are progressive or not. Respect should be strived for and given on both sides. No matter how loud those for amplification/narration/electronics rattle their swords, the true reality is that based on many points of view from all walks of life on DCP, and in the "real world" This is not/was not a favorable move and the disdain is not going away but getting louder and reaching a wide variety of ears from the lowly fan to the designers. Kids/young adults in the corps are also not in the "majority" for these "progressive" changes as I can tell you first hand just based on the few dozen or so I speak/spoke tp personally, those my friends have spoken to, and those others have spoken to. There is a quiet confidence in truth......those that know it, have it and support it can sit back and watch the minorty yap all they want......truth always wins out,no matter how much it is ridiculed and how much others try to attack those that tell it.

Oh, and if these polls on DCP carry no weight, then by all means, great, the trend is quite clear every time its brought up, theres a lopsided "against" all the time..so, if those against amps/narration are such a small group, and irrelevant, then how small are those that are in favor of it that barely make a dent in the poll outcomes ?? Oh, thats right, they dont know about DCP and just love all the changes thrown their way....got it.

~G~

I will actually lose more respect for Cadets and Hop if they change their vision based on idiots who cat call and yell stupid things to the corps at shows. I am sure you are referring to other reactions besides this kind

Dont forget, the internet in general is a sort of "National Enquirer" place and everything can be blown out of proportion. Sure, Quarters was a debacle and I bet many of those that took part in that behaviour would take it back if they had all the facts......cant change history, I didnt do it, I didnt condone it, I am not here to judge either way. I certainly wouldnt call them idiots because folks from all walks of life took part in letting their feelings known.

With that said, I too wouldnt want to see any corps change their ideas due to cat-calls and booing, but I would certainly respect those that sat back, looked at facts, listened to opinions, and realized that recognizing and correcting mistakes or bad ideas in actually progression. Nobody is perfect and nobody can make good decisions all the time.

Nothing wrong with revisiting an idea and altering it for the good of the whole.

~G~

I don't like this imposing rule change.

It's too extreme. Just because the BlueStars do not want to use narration, why should the other corps experimenting or choosing to use it be forced to compromise their design.

Amplification is an option in my opinion. Limiting is limiting.

Blue Devils, The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown are all using it...

Just because I don't want to use it, shouldn't mean that others can't.

I don't like this imposing rule change.

It's too extreme. Just because the BlueStars do not want to use narration, why should the other corps experimenting or choosing to use it be forced to compromise their design.

Amplification is an option in my opinion. Limiting is limiting.

Blue Devils, The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, Carolina Crown are all using it...

Just because I don't want to use it, shouldn't mean that others can't.

Well, unfortunately, it really hasnt brought anything groundbreaking or jaw dropping to the activity but it has polarized the community. Just how long do you let it ride before you re-examine it and alter it for the greater good of the community. You dont let a hole in a boat stay unrepaired, the boat will sink.

~G~