1973 Santa Clara

i have a couple of questions about the youtube video featuring the 1973 santa clara vanguard.

first, what was the average age of the corps in '73. from the video, it looks like the corps

could not have been 15 yrs old on average. an amazing show and power from such a young group

of kids.

second, at the end of the video, the full corps show is presented. at what point in the year was this show held??

the reason i ask is that the final dci recording of the show is very different musically than the video version.

the fiddler show and the bottle dance routine was great and what an amazing drum line in '73.

any thoughts???

mikey

:devil:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the avg. age was for the Vanguard in 1973 but I'm sure it was more than 15. My guess would be at least 17 or 18.

I Marched in another corps from the Bay Area at that time and we used to think that you had to be a college music major to march in the Vanguard.

Edited by Russellrks

i have a couple of questions about the youtube video featuring the 1973 santa clara vanguard.

first, what was the average age of the corps in '73. from the video, it looks like the corps

could not have been 15 yrs old on average. an amazing show and power from such a young group

of kids.

second, at the end of the video, the full corps show is presented. at what point in the year was this show held??

the reason i ask is that the final dci recording of the show is very different musically than the video version.

the fiddler show and the bottle dance routine was great and what an amazing drum line in '73.

any thoughts???

mikey

:santa:

I believe that our average age was 17 through 20 (very few age-outs). A majority of our original members (from the Sparks) aged out in '72. That left most of the second generation, plus rookies, to carry on.

You're a bit off with the statement "Full Corps" show. What they show on the Competitive Drum Corps video is a cut and paste job. Half the time, the music doesn't even match what is being marched. ALOT has been cut out. It's very frustrating to say the least. I have no idea when it was filmed, probably just 2 or 3 weels before finals.

I'm curious how you can compare this show to the "DCI recording". There is no DCI recording of '73 that I'm aware of. The first DCI recording of SCV is Championship "Prelims" '74, or also DCI Midwest '74. The only recording that I know of of '73 belongs to the Troopers and was filmed by Jim Jones.

We are all patiently ( :cool: ) waiting for the release of that tape (DVD) when all the legal mumbo jumbo is finally cleared up. Hopefully, before I die...

...... There is no DCI recording of '73 that I'm aware of. The first DCI recording of SCV is Championship "Prelims" '74, or also DCI Midwest '74. The only recording that I know of of '73 belongs to the Troopers and was filmed by Jim Jones.

Maggie - I am sure you mean video of the 73 Vanguard. There certainly are albums of the 73 Vanguard as well as the entire 1972 DCI Championship on vinyl. I still have my albums.

That would have to be correct, because I have every DCI championship performance SCV ever gave on my computer, and DCI sells everyone of them for download on their website.

Edited by Kyle B

Oops :cool: , you guys are right. Back to reading comprehension 101 for me.

As far as the music changing as Mike states though. Again, they cut out the last half of "OTL", the first half of "YPG", the middle of "Concert: and parts of "Out of Concert" and "Exit", not to mention hacking up most of the Drum solos in the video. The "recordings" are of the full show. None of the music had changed from the beginning of the season to the end except for the usual tweaking and watering down of bits and pieces throughout the show.

Man, I hope that people will be able to see what the drill was along with the music soon. It really was one of our best and my most favorite year to march... ever.

I was 13 years old, that sume of 73. I was the youngest member of the corps, younger than Mark Romo by quite a few months. I remember everyone being older than myself and it being very intimidaing. I mean living up to what they had established, the reputation, the legend...was a little daunting.

Oops :cool: , you guys are right. Back to reading comprehension 101 for me.

As far as the music changing as Mike states though. Again, they cut out the last half of "OTL", the first half of "YPG", the middle of "Concert: and parts of "Out of Concert" and "Exit", not to mention hacking up most of the Drum solos in the video. The "recordings" are of the full show. None of the music had changed from the beginning of the season to the end except for the usual tweaking and watering down of bits and pieces throughout the show.

Man, I hope that people will be able to see what the drill was along with the music soon. It really was one of our best and my most favorite year to march... ever.

i guess this explains why the recordings dont match up. but i took a look at the video again last night and i was hard pressed to find many of the corps members looking to be over 17-18 yrs old. what really matters is the great show produced in '73.

mikey

I have a few contest programs from 1969-72. I have no drum corps recordings, yet. I viewed the 73 SCV video clips the other day.

We were in the stands at a contest in 1973, possibly Toronto and saw the whole contest, live, from beginning to end. I was 17.

When SCV were on the field, I was speechless and dared not blink, didn’t want to miss one note or step. To MsBusDriver, Tansea and SCV of 73, thank you. :cool: