Blue Stars will be making BANK on Merch this year

cd89

Have the rule proposals made by George Hopkins affected the Souvie sales of the Cadets?

I think field placement will be a bigger factor than rule proposals.

I bet Crown's sales have skyrocketed in the past 2 years.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and again...all this lather poses nothing toward the OPs original question regarding how these proposals will affect revenues the Blue Stars will gain or lose at the souvie stand in '08.

Get to the point, gentlemen.

My opinion is that these proposals will be long forgotten by summer and will have no affect positively or negatively on the souvie sales for Blue Stars. If people wanted to show their support, then it should be coordinated now while the proposal irons are in the fire...not 6 months later when these are all but forgotten.

Well, my question was not answered on its hypothetical, so on with the show.

Well, my question was not answered on its hypothetical, so on with the show.

Gotta say, I'm not really sure what answer you want. Seems to me that a couple of people have answered as best they can. You're asking them to make a distinction between the sound produced before and after it goes through amps and then compare both the before and the after and then definitively say whether one would score higher or lower. But, as has been stated, the judges score (or are suppposed to score) only on the final, total sound. So if the sound BEFORE going into the amps is identical to the other corps (hypothetically), you can't definitively say if adding the amps would make it better, worse or the same. I understand that you're looking for an answer that adding the amps to a similar sound will be rated higher by the judges because your point is that judges award amp usage. I'm not in a position to agree or disagree, but I don't think your hypothetical addresses the issue to the point you think it does. :tongue:

Oh, and I agree with Tom Brace on the original point. Most folks won't even know that the Blue Stars were attached to these proposals. Those of us on here now know that they were only the vehicle for submission and not the author, and besides, I doubt that the general drum corps public spending would be persuaded by any of this anyway. All the corps who have used amps haven't been hurt at the souvie booth as far as I can tell, so why should this generate a significant swing the other way?

Edited by Liam

Gotta say, I'm not really sure what answer you want. Seems to me that a couple of people have answered as best they can. You're asking them to make a distinction between the sound produced before and after it goes through amps and then compare both the before and the after and then definitively say whether one would score higher or lower. But, as has been stated, the judges score (or are suppposed to score) only on the final, total sound. So if the sound BEFORE going into the amps is identical to the other corps (hypothetically), you can't definitively say if adding the amps would make it better, worse or the same. I understand that you're looking for an answer that adding the amps to a similar sound will be rated higher by the judges because your point is that judges award amp usage. I'm not in a position to agree or disagree, but I don't think your hypothetical addresses the issue to the point you think it does. :tongue:

That is why I put the question in the hypothetical.

Oh, and I agree with Tom Brace on the original point. Most folks won't even know that the Blue Stars were attached to these proposals. Those of us on here now know that they were only the vehicle for submission and not the author, and besides, I doubt that the general drum corps public spending would be persuaded by any of this anyway. All the corps who have used amps haven't been hurt at the souvie booth as far as I can tell, so why should this generate a significant swing the other way?

Well I agree as well. Those in the know realize that this really is not a Blue Stars proposal and the Blue Stars may very well vote against the proposal. The majority will not know and will make their purchases based on other factors, IMO.

That is why I put the question in the hypothetical.

Understood -- but your hypothetical didn't specify if adding the amps increased the quality of the totality of the sound, decreased the quality of the totality of the sound, or was inconsequential to the totality of the sound. You only talked about the comparison of the sound BEFORE the amps were added. Therefore, the answer to your hypothetical question has to be the famous "Not enough information provided" :tongue:

Look at it this way -- what if two corps had the exact same quality of sound (like your hypothetical) except that then one corps added French Horns while the other corps did not. If I asked you who would then score higher (all else being equal) your response would be (or should be) did the French Horns add to or detract from (or have no effect on) the overall sound quality before you could answer.

I get what you're driving at, and like I said, I'm not necessarily arguing with your overall point. I just think that your hypothetical isn't really addressing the point like you think it is, that's all. :ph34r:

Understood -- but your hypothetical didn't specify if adding the amps increased the quality of the totality of the sound, decreased the quality of the totality of the sound, or was inconsequential to the totality of the sound. You only talked about the comparison of the sound BEFORE the amps were added. Therefore, the answer to your hypothetical question has to be the famous "Not enough information provided" :ph34r:

Look at it this way -- what if two corps had the exact same quality of sound (like your hypothetical) except that then one corps added French Horns while the other corps did not. If I asked you who would then score higher (all else being equal) your response would be (or should be) did the French Horns add to or detract from (or have no effect on) the overall sound quality before you could answer.

I get what you're driving at, and like I said, I'm not necessarily arguing with your overall point. I just think that your hypothetical isn't really addressing the point like you think it is, that's all. :w00t:

I understand what you are saying. On with the show. :tongue:

Have the rule proposals made by George Hopkins affected the Souvie sales of the Cadets?

Yup..quite a bit. The last two years have both shattered records; last year expecially!!

I think Cadet's programming may have affected souvie sales. Honestly, I'd like to know.

I bought a shirt from every single Top 7 corps this year except Crown (because I ran out of money) and Cadets (because I don't like what they're doing, even if I do agree with their high placement).

Edited by Ranger Rick