Question regarding DCP and the role it plays in fanbase

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to read on DCP the same type of information I get from late night radio; conspiracy, black helicopters, secret governments, what really happened at Area 51, signals from Osiris and other Truth. It's all here. One only has to know how to read between the lines. Don't listen to the doubters. Be careful. Remember: you are being watched.

IMO, it's an excellent question, and it's one DCI should strive to answer.

I think Mike hit it with his "representative sampling" statement. In depth knowledge of the demographic make up of it's customer base is critical to any revenue dependant entity. DCI has two distinct customer bases: paying members and fans. It wouldn't be all that difficult to conduct surveys both at regionals and on this board to determine exactly how representative this board is of the overall fan base. This board could be and should be used as a valuable tool by both DCI and its members.

I would bet this board is used as a resource by DCI more than generally believed. It's been referenced a fair amount, and I suspect publicly publishing rule proposals was a decision made in part with expectations of using this board to gauge public response -- a wise move. Not to parrot support for DCP, but, again, it would be wise of DCI to learn as much as it can about the DCP sampling and subsequently use it as an analytical marketing tool as much as possible. As such, it's in DCI's best interest to see DCP flourish and grow as much as possible, and anything they can do to help ensure that result should be done!

I would say little to none

Probably right.

Interesting this is OP's first post. Kind of an irrelevant point, but interesting nonetheless.

Two other interesting thoughts:

1.) Were there any crowds last year who warmly welcomed the Cadets and their show? I heard heckling at each of the three I saw/heard.

2.) I can count the number of heart-felt, spontaneous standing-O's in the entire activity since getting back into DCI in 2004 on one hand. General displeasure? So much so that we all have 4 extra children sitting around aged 10 years b/c we weren't throwing them in the stands. So, yeah, I'd say that DCP at least has people of all mentalities and opinions. Some may be more brash or vocal than others, but I'd say we are pretty representative.

This is a public discussion board. It is dedicated to drum corps fans and people who enjoy conversation and discussion drum corps. This forum has it's full swing of participants: Those that are 100% sure they are affecting change in drum corps with their ideas and beliefs all the way down to those that come here just for fun, conversation and discussion of days gone by... and everything in between.

While I do believe conversation and discussion in some camps may have some interjection of discussion, ideas and opinions expressed here as a matter of discussion or brain storming... I think the overall "Role DCP plays in fanbase" is probably very small overall. If the intent of the question is cleverly disguised by the poster to say: "Get over yourselves, DCP posters... you don't make that big of a difference in the overall big picture of DCI" ... well, I would say that 99.99999999% of the regulars here know that very well, and have no such illusions. But it won't stop them from lively discussion or intense debate about issues that people feel strongly about... and that's what a place like this is for.

I could not care less how many participants in this forum have marched in a corps or not, because many who have not marched have a tremendous amount of knowledge about drum corps. And as far as the amplification question in the OP's post... what is said here on DCP will not have ANY effect on what passes as a rule for DCI. The only problem I have with amplification personally anymore is when it is done poorly, because it appears that amplification... like it or not... is here to stay until corps decide they don't want to use them anymore.

SOMEDAY in the future... it will be something new, maybe laser light shows or big screens with visual images on them or drum triggered sound modules... and all this discussion about amplification will be MOOT.

It is obvious that the majority of participants on this board aren't very fond of electronics and amplification. I for one, am a proponent of amplification and electronics, and for innovation. I believe strongly in what George Hopkins is doing in pushing the envelope for this activity. I am sure many of you disagree with me, and that is quite alright as we are titled to our own opinions. I do however, have a question about DCP and the role it plays in DCI. What percentage of the actual DCI fan base is represented on these here boards? Are the majority of DCI fans against the use of electronics and amplification? Further more, would it be possible to determine what percentage of DCI fans have marched corps and what percentage hasn't? Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Signed,

patron of the Marching ARTS

wouldn't it be great if people were not given posting rights on DCP until they had at least read and lurked for 6 months?

wouldn't it be great if people were not given posting rights on DCP until they had at least read and lurked for 6 months?

Considering over half the stuff posted is whining, bashing, or #####ing my answer is no.

my guess...

dcp < 1%

I hate it when we agree. I think if you took those who actually post on a regular basis here, which is really not that many in the grand scope, you would be looking at a miniscule part of the show attending public.

IMO, it's an excellent question, and it's one DCI should strive to answer.

I am a frequent reader of fan forums on drag racing. I don't think the NHRA is altering what it does based on the whims and complaints of the fanatics like me who post there.