New Design For Spartans.

no, 60 total, hardly any vets at all

man...that sucks...bad planning of the open house maybe? (hopefully?!) Maybe it was just a awkward time for people in that area......maybe not.

Anyway...the music his highschools use is awesome by the way...i was listening to the music more than the drill, lol.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the relative inexperience of the new design & instructional team and very lackluster turnout at last weekend's Open House (less than 60 auditionees)

I'd say this young man has his work cut out for him.

I am devastated at what has happened to the perennial beast from the east.

:cool:

Any word if members of the old staff have turned up anywhere? Or for that matter, the vets?

man...that sucks...bad planning of the open house maybe? (hopefully?!) Maybe it was just a awkward time for people in that area......maybe not.

Anyway...the music his highschools use is awesome by the way...i was listening to the music more than the drill, lol.

Not awkward timing at all. The fall marching band season has been over here for a month. They never had a problem getting potential members to show up when the open house was earlier. It's clear to me that the veterans realize that with this very young, inexperienced staff, that the corps may never be the same.

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
Not awkward timing at all. The fall marching band season has been over here for a month. They never had a problem getting potential members to show up when the open house was earlier. It's clear to me that the veterans realize that with this very young, inexperienced staff, that the corps may never be the same.

It's really a shame, the Spartans are one of my favorite corps. I was even going to try out for them if their world class status was confirmed! Guess that won't be the case this year... :cool:

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

I think you are correct, Plus when all but 3 staff members leave that sends out a clear message that there is something wrong with the organization.

It's not bad timing at all. Most of the vets are very close with the staff that had been there for many years, that staff was very well liked. The vets I have spoken with are planning on either following their particular instructor to where ever he/she is going to be teaching, some are seeing this as a "sign" to move on to Div 1, others are simply taking a year off. Many of them do not wish to return because they feel like it won't be the same family they're used to. Sure, new faces come and go, but when that many people on the staff (including volunteers) are asked to leave or voluntarily leave that should raise some suspicions about how the corps is being ran, and the vets realize that.

It's been very emotional for some of the vets, especially the colorguard. Lennie Machado was adored, trusted, and seen as a "summer father" for everyone, not just the guard. I'm interested in seeing what this new staff does for Spartans this year, and some of the new staff had previously marched Spartans, so I'm hoping to see some of the traditions continue. I wish them the best, and I hope to see them on top still, but only time will tell.

It's not bad timing at all. Most of the vets are very close with the staff that had been there for many years, that staff was very well liked. The vets I have spoken with are planning on either following their particular instructor to where ever he/she is going to be teaching, some are seeing this as a "sign" to move on to Div 1, others are simply taking a year off. Many of them do not wish to return because they feel like it won't be the same family they're used to. Sure, new faces come and go, but when that many people on the staff (including volunteers) are asked to leave or voluntarily leave that should raise some suspicions about how the corps is being ran, and the vets realize that.

It's been very emotional for some of the vets, especially the colorguard. Lennie Machado was adored, trusted, and seen as a "summer father" for everyone, not just the guard. I'm interested in seeing what this new staff does for Spartans this year, and some of the new staff had previously marched Spartans, so I'm hoping to see some of the traditions continue. I wish them the best, and I hope to see them on top still, but only time will tell.

Interesting to note that Lennie went to the Citations, and they ended up having 90+ members at their audition camp, if I remember correctly.

Not quite true.

The Citations had a wonderful Open House and first rehearsal. Over 60 new members, along with a large amount of returning veterans attended. To date there have been no staff additions from 2007 other than Ed Devlin as visual designer and myself as a program consultant.

Stay tuned for more official information coming from the Citations.

Fred Ford

Interesting to note that Lennie went to the Citations, and they ended up having 90+ members at their audition camp, if I remember correctly.

Not just Lennie but ALL the staff & support staff were very important to the corps members. The love they showed for the activity & each individual was something no one can describe. It was definitely something you had to witness or be a part of! Many of those people had been there for years & whom I started my marching career with & I wouldn't have changed that for anything. I can see why a lot of the vets wish to follow their current staff members. It's not just about where you march, but what you learn from your experience there as well. At the beginning of year season I was always nervous watching a lot of the younger members who were joining. Nervous, but never doubted them because I knew what they were going to become walking out of that organization. It's not so much perfection they strive for but dedication and loyalty to each other & to one self. We are not individuals in that corps, we are ONE. The staff did amazing things & are all amazing people. I'm happy to say that I marched with the best for a decade of my life & even more proud to say those people are my family.

Edited by shann62684

Not just Lennie but ALL the staff & support staff were very important to the corps members. The love they showed for the activity & each individual was something no one can describe. It was definitely something you had to witness or be a part of! Many of those people had been there for years & whom I started my marching career with & I wouldn't have changed that for anything. I can see why a lot of the vets wish to follow their current staff members. It's not just about where you march, but what you learn from your experience there as well. At the beginning of year season I was always nervous watching a lot of the younger members who were joining. Nervous, but never doubted them because I knew what they were going to become walking out of that organization. It's not so much perfection they strive for but dedication and loyalty to each other & to one self. We are not individuals in that corps, we are ONE. The staff did amazing things & are all amazing people. I'm happy to say that I marched with the best for a decade of my life & even more proud to say those people are my family.

I could not have said it any better. My many seasons with the Spartans were amazing. And it had nothing to do with the name "Spartans" it was because of the talented staff, and the amazing volunteers that made the drum corps what it was. They truly made the drum crops the class act and successful drum corps that it is. So there is no suprise that members would want to follow thier staff to were ever they go. I truly wish the administration would have resolved any issues that caused the staff to leave.

Edited by Caesar