HS Marching Band fees

I live in a small, rural NYS community. The HS marching band has been around for a while, having some success competitively and through some big-name trips through the years (for a small school and a small band).

I marched here in HS and now my daughter marches, with her sister to start soon.

Recently, the program suffered from director turn-over and parent disinterest, leading to low numbers and financial "issues." A new director is in his second year and things have started to turn around -- the field band was almost twice the size this fall as last.

Before the new director arrived, there was never a "fee" to be in this extra-curricular activity, but the director instituted a small fee this season. For years before, the students were just expected to participate as much as they could in various fund-raisers. They are still expected to do that, but there is still the new "fee."

I don't mind it -- in fact, I've heard of HUGE pay-to-play "fees" for marching band and all other HS athletics from bigger schools in bigger areas.

What does everyone think about fees to participate in extra-curricular activities in high school?

And, please note where you're from (be as general or as specific as you want) and how much the "fees" were at your marching band.

THANK YOU ... I'll be "using" some of this information as we discuss the future of these "fees" with our marching band program.

Edited by BlueR36

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched in High School not too long ago, there were zero fee's. Around 120 members. Decent sized staff and design time with experience, average community, BOA band, average band booster program. I'm not sure why there are fee's. We did some fundraisers for trips, but that's about it.

Where I teach, we charge the kids nothing. The kids pay for reeds, oil, general supplies, their band shirt. . .things like that. We do fundraising leading towards trips. We also have a great booster organization that raises money to help with trips and anything else we need throughout the year.

I do know that some of the bigger and better bands here in TX have exhorbitant fees though. I think LD Bell, which recently won BOA has a fee of about $1000 for the year. IMO, that is outrageous.

I guess that's something that varies from town to town and state to state. I never marched band before, but a few of my corpsmates did. Unlike Drum Corps, I don't recall any of them having to pay for it though.

it cost me 500 dollars to march this year, and it was about that every other year except 03, when I marched for around 200.

Our indoor percussion fee is 250 this year.

All in all, I don't mind paying for either of the fees. it's totally worth it.

~>conner

I went to high school in a medium sized town in western Kentucky - band fees were around $200 i believe, plus extra cost for color guard.

The school I teach currently has a fee of around $400. Plus I charge $150 for winter guard.

I taught in Indiana for a couple years and the band fee was around $700, plus more for winter guard.

My school charges $50 for wind members, and $65 for percussionists and guard members. The extra $15 is to pay for an extra week of instruction for their respective sections the week before band camp. I know that ours are cheap compared to some other schools right down the road who charge upwards of $1,000 to participate. However, I live in a low income area, and there are people in my area who have trouble meeting the money requirement even for our band. Thankfully, my director's have been very helpful to those members by reducing their fees, or working out a payment plan.

IMO, there should NEVER be an instance where a kid can't participate in marching band because of money. Some fees are necessary, but it is absolutely ridiculous to expect a family to pay $1,000 for marching band fees. My time that I had in marching band was some of the most fun I've ever had. It was a very different experience than drum corps(at least for me; I know that some other bands are more competitive). I was in my marching band for 5 years and I had an absolute b.l.a.s.t., especially during my senior year.

To think that someone wouldn't have the chance to experience what I did is very disappointing to me.

I never paid anything, and I taught at my HS this fall and I know they still don't pay for anything other than spirit items, instrument accessories, etc. This is for a 4A State Champion (97, 05, 07) in DFW.