HS Marching Band fees

I thought I logged onto a drum corps website. Wierd.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My high school charged $150 for a non-competitive marching band that performed at all home and away football games. There also was a sizable trip each year to somewhere out of state that either the marching band or full music department would go on. We had an awesome booster organization that revolved around a "Fair Share Program." By fundraising for the band, I earned money towards my Fair Share account. From my sophomore to senior years, I didn't pay anything to be in marching band, indoor percussion, jazz band, and symphonic band (would be $50 a year otherwise). Most other people raised about the same amount of money I did. One guy I graduated with earned enough money in his Fair Share account to buy a new trumpet with it.

I don't remember ever having to pay anything (except perhaps trip expenses when we did an overnighter) when I was in high school band (mid-70s, in a champion-caliber 200-member band).

Last year, after what was explained to us as major belt-tightening, our son's marching band dropped their fees to just under $1,200. Yep, that was a reduction made possible by the band sleeping on a gym floor on their one overnight, out-of-town trip of the fall season. And it doesn't include the fee of several-hundred dollars for concert band season (one trip, to festival at a site that is 10 miles away), or the $1,000+ fees for winterguard or indoor drumline.

Granted this is one of the top BOA bands in the nation, and they do bring in lots of instructors, but I know it really puts a pinch on quite a few families.

Yeah, you did log onto a drum corps website, and there are plenty of threads on here about drum corps. I'll just bet you had a real good clue from the title of this thread that it might involve a discussion of high school band, so perhaps you shouldn't have clicked on it if you were going to be offended by the subject. :)

At my high school there is a 'fair share' you have to pay for each ensemble you are in. I am not sure how much exactly cause I usually have money in my account, but I have to pay symphonic band, marching band, and jazz band....its not too much and we are a small school. The thing is that we do a lot of fundraisers where if you show up and its documented you get money put into your account that goes toward paying your fees.

Yeah, you did log onto a drum corps website, and there are plenty of threads on here about drum corps. I'll just bet you had a real good clue from the title of this thread that it might involve a discussion of high school band, so perhaps you shouldn't have clicked on it if you were going to be offended by the subject. :)

I think he means there is another forum for something like this called marchingbandplanet. That's all..geez.

At my school it's 300 dollars for Marching band.

We have the lowest fee in our district though.

It's also 300 dollars for winter percussion this year because we're restarting the program and have to buy a new floor.

at my high school all you have to really pay for is travel this year we went to about 4 shows one of them being an over nighter and going to disney land and we had to pay $200 or we could fundraise it

for winter percussion we pay around 1000 for years we go to dayton this year were not going to dayton and we have to pay $600 and most of it is only spent on travel

You wanna make this thread relative to drum corps? Alright, let's make it relative to drum corps.

For these bands that have "pay to play" fees, have they been going up alot over the past decade or so? DCI corps' dues have been going up. But they tour. They spend money on gas (the price of which has gone up) and vehicles and everything, way more than a band would. So I'm just wondering if dues for bands (for those who have dues) have been going up.

Oh, and I know of a few BOA style bands around here that have dues. Plymouth is around $1000? Don't quote me on that. There are a few others that charge almost as much, and I'm sure there are others in Michigan that do too...