1996 Phantom Regiment Video...

dkpath96

I don't know if this post is legal under the guidelines of this forum, so if it is not, my apologies.

I am looking for a high-cam recording of the 1996 Phantom Regiment show, preferably finals week. I've e-mailed DCI about it, and have e-mailed PR about it, and haven't heard from either.

Does anyone know where this video might exist, if it does? I know DCI has it, they made their finals video multi-cam using clips from it.

PM me if you know anything. I am willing to pay for it and all that legal mumbo. Thanks!

I am looking for a high-cam recording of the 1996 Phantom Regiment show, preferably finals week....I know DCI has it, they made their finals video multi-cam using clips from it.

You know DCI has it? I'm not sure about that. There were some years, I think in the 1990s, when Tom Blair Productions did not do the video production for DCI, but if they did it in 1996, then Tom Blair Productions (not DCI) had the tape you seek... in 1996. It may have been erased or destroyed shortly after finals that year. Just because it was used in the video doesn't mean anybody kept all the raw tape from each camera beyond a week or two after finals. And even if TBP or DCI or PR still do have it, it doesn't mean they can sell or give you a copy. I hope you find it, but it's kind of a long shot to even get somebody to go through stuff to figure out for you whether it still exists. You may be asking a lot here.

Not really an answer to your question, but more I'd just like to point out that I think there's a market for the "high cam" series. Not sure if DCI still has them, but if they released a legacy collection like that I would buy it in a heart beat...ok, I'd probably save up for a few weeks, but eventually I totally would get it!

Well I agree with that, absolutely. In fact, why not have a Legacy Great Drills series... high cam only with great sound? I just don't know how many of the old tapes of High Cam only still exist. But if TBP or DCI has them, there could be a real market for this, even reselling material to people who already have videos of the same shows. Sure, if you've bought the recent DVDs, you have High Cam of top 6 anyway, but before 2000, you often don't.

Edited by Peel Paint

I'm not sure it was available in 96, but high cam recordings of the top 25 were sold once upon a time, IIRC.

I'm not sure it was available in 96, but high cam recordings of the top 25 were sold once upon a time, IIRC.

They were, sold by DCI, but only for some of the championship years. I remember buying a high camera video (in Beta, yet) for 1983 that included Garfield's show. Back in those days, they were much more expensive on a per-show basis than DCI videos today, and of course, the video and audio quality isn't as good as today's DVDs. The high cam videos weren't widely owned. On the rare occasions that a high cam video for DCI becomes available on eBay these days, it tends to fetch a much higher price than the regular videos, which tells you that demand exceeds supply.

Edited by Peel Paint

it's kind of a long shot to even get somebody to go through stuff to figure out for you whether it still exists. You may be asking a lot here.

I agree... But thanks for informing me about TBP, they will be my next target of appeal.

They were, sold by DCI, but only for some of the championship years. I remember buying a high camera video (in Beta, yet) for 1983 that included Garfield's show. Back in those days, they were much more expensive on a per-show basis than DCI videos today, and of course, the video and audio quality isn't as good as today's DVDs. The high cam videos weren't widely owned. On the rare occasions that a high cam video for DCI becomes available on eBay these days, it tends to fetch a much higher price than the regular videos, which tells you that demand exceeds supply.

I remember seeing (once...) a high cam of the Madison semifinals show at Scott Stewarts apartment/corps office. By far the best representation of what we were at the end of that magical season.

I'd LOVE a copy of that, and love to see those tapes made available to everyone- especially guard members, who I think always get short shrift when it comes to the hit-hit-hit closeup style of broadcast (guard work is meant to reach the stands- not a cameraman 15 ft. away!).

We all love to sit on the 50 in the upper deck! Why not sell those performances?

...especially as TV screens get bigger and bigger. With that trend, a growing number of drum corps fans may prefer High Cam to Multi Cam. On a 19" 4:3 screen, marchers on high cam look like dots. But on a large-screen 16:9 display, it does look a lot more the way the view looks from high in the stands. But drum corps was taped in 4:3 so to take it out to 16:9 you either have to cut off part of the picture or distort it, and when you blow up those old videos to a large-screen display, the picture softens badly.

a growing number of drum corps fans may prefer High Cam to Multi Cam.

That's one of the best features of DVDs today - to get the full effect of a corps GE, you gotta watch the high cam, in my opinion.