Should DCI be allowed to edit Finals DVD's?

The point is, even if they did splice in footage from another show, or music, or whatever, it doesn't matter. The change has not significantly altered the real content of the show. The analogy to a football game doesn't work because the entire game is focused around that one moment of catching or dropping a pass, but the point of watching a show is not to sit there and catch people missing stepoffs or bumping into people. DCI has not been "dishonest" because there's nothing to be dishonest about. It's their product and they're welcome to produce it however they choose. If you really, really have that big a problem with it, well, I honestly question your priorities. Sorry guys, but this is just ridiculous.

You don't think a guy majorly blowing a solo has some effect on the score? Similar to a dropped pass possibly having some effect on the score?

I don't think that this is that big of a deal either, but on SOME level, DCI is asking us to recognize and accept their champion. So if they are going to market the competition that crowned the champion, there should be SOME level of authenticity to the recording. Again, editing around missteps and such is fine -- much like not highlighting every missed block or holding call. Show the positives of each corps -- fine. But editing in other performances smacks just a little of re-writing history to me, that's all.

And I understand that DCI can do whatever they want with their own product, I just think that at some point the integrity of the product must be maintained or the customer may lose interest. Nothing to date has risen anywhere near that level, imo, just highlighting the priciple of the thing :spitting:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave principal out of drum corps!

Editing is nothing new for drum corps. What year was it that on the cd's that a sop from BD fracked and they put in the semi-finals performance?

BTW, aren't principals the new name for corps directors now?? :spitting:

what a waste of bandwidth...can we all jsut move on.

1. DCI is not going to "re-release" an unedited version.

2. It's done and gone.

3. Noted.

Are we not allowed to theorize about what they should do in the future? Seems to me folks have differing opinions on this ....

Are we not allowed to theorize about what they should do in the future? Seems to me folks have differing opinions on this ....

and those should be called or emailed into DCI...the "offending entity"

but who am I to stop a parade. Continue complaining. And by the way, if this is the only thing we can think of to complain about...DCI is doing a really great job!

I'm sorry that that are those that feel this is an unworthy thread. Just move on and read another. I have been enjoying the discussion.

I think that DCI should try and keep the performance as unaltered as possible...to a point.

If they selected a new camera angle that keeps the mistake out of the multi-cam...great. They did not alter the performance, just showed it in the best light. After all most casual veiwers will only look at multi-cam. The error is still in high-cam. Perfect.

If the mistake is so great as to seriously distract from the enjoyment of the multi-cam and cannot be avoided then DCI should take action to alter the performance. A major frack is an example. They are very interested in making their DVD product be representative of the typical product.

This is not an historical record, it is entertainment. Keeping it as close to historically accurate as possible is good, but not required. Should they keep the buzzing lights in there since that represents reality or filter them out? What about the "Melissa" banner tow plane noise? Would that stay if it was on the DVD? How far do you want this to go?

even the Zapruder film was altered when it was shown to the Warren Commission...(see book Best Evidence)

Talk about conspiracy theories.

I know I complain about this thread and then still contribute to it. Ironic, huh? Or stupid...yeah stupid...I'll give you that one.

Hey, it's lunchtime. What else is a fanatic going to do?

it's hilarious that no one will discuss the fact that they most likely used a different camera angle for the multi camera track.

I demand to see the drops in Cavaliers 02 that everyone talks about on DCP. Guess DCI edited those out by using camera angles that didn't show them.

I could be wrong, but I think the only editing that took place was changing the camera angle on the multi-cam. I have the ESPN show Tivo-ed, and yes, the missed step off is there. I also own the DVD's; it appears as though they just used another angle for an extra 1 or 2 seconds, thus avoiding the tick on the multi cam.

Just speculation though...I doubt they would add a shot from semis or quarters when they could just use another camera's angle for an extra second or two to avoid showing the tick on the multicam.