Should DCI be allowed to edit Finals DVD's?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody out there from the mothership who can speak to this? How often it's done? Who does it? And more importantly, why it's done?

I just don't see the harm in allowing such a "mistake" to be seen. As a journalist, I align myself with what was said earlier in the thread: we present life as it is. Now, DCI is trying to sell it's product, and put on a great show, but they do that anyway with the performance as-is. I can't see that anything is gained when a rough spot like that is "smoothed over," and in fact, I'd argue that more harm is done: aside from just plain appearing sneaky and slimy, you're masking what a hard, worthwhile activity it is. If there can be a bump or flaw in the top corps' performance, how much more remarkable and hard-won is their accomplishment.

Anybody out there from the mothership who can speak to this? How often it's done? Who does it? And more importantly, why it's done?

I just don't see the harm in allowing such a "mistake" to be seen. As a journalist, I align myself with what was said earlier in the thread: we present life as it is. Now, DCI is trying to sell it's product, and put on a great show, but they do that anyway with the performance as-is. I can't see that anything is gained when a rough spot like that is "smoothed over," and in fact, I'd argue that more harm is done: aside from just plain appearing sneaky and slimy, you're masking what a hard, worthwhile activity it is. If there can be a bump or flaw in the top corps' performance, how much more remarkable and hard-won is their accomplishment.

Unfortunately, the mothership as you put it doesn't post publicly on DCP...no real surprises there.

The best I would suggest is contacting them in Indy...they have moved right? See what they tell you. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that at the request of someone very close to the Blue Devils, (read Gibbs), DCI was asked to substitute the finals performance with the performance from semifinals.

Am I the only one who prefers to remember the program over a specific performance of it? I'd prefer having the best representation I can get of a corps at its peak. I don't see where ethics comes in to this. The DVDs are a product and the product holds the memories of all our great shows. I bet you won't hear any complaints from the person who missed the step-off. Is this really a bridge worth dying for?

Jeez, after reading the title thought the edit was something more glaring or dubbed audio...

Trying to remember which corps 1979(?) had a PBS live shot of two guys marking time together. Only problem was one was out of step. Still swear the guy OOS, turned his head a bit and did ye olde "hop step" to get back with everyone else. Next day, bunch of us were like "Hey did catch that guy from... betcha he's embarrased". :spitting:

I wouldn't get too wound about screw ups like a missed step. One of the DCA corps (won't say which) this year had two contras tap at the end of their Finals show. Unless you were looking at that part of the corps you missed it.

Am I the only one who prefers to remember the program over a specific performance of it? I'd prefer having the best representation I can get of a corps at its peak. I don't see where ethics comes in to this. The DVDs are a product and the product holds the memories of all our great shows. I bet you won't hear any complaints from the person who missed the step-off. Is this really a bridge worth dying for?

Maybe the DVD shoulb be just of all the 2008 corps filmed and edited at their best, instead of calling it 2007 DCI Finals or DCI Championship DVD's, because that would be a lie.

If it was sold as the 2007 Final DVD, you might have a point. Since it's sold as the FinalS DVD, I think I'd like to have my memories of FinalS refreshed by the DVD. So yes, a specific performance.

If you take your point to the ridiculous extreme, the peak representation of a corps' performance could be a snippet from Tupelo followed by a snippet from Atlanta, followed by a snippet from Phoenix, followed by....