Seneca Optimists

If I remember correctly, Kingston Grenadiers (DCA) were going to play a Chuck show last year but they didn't make it out to the field. Too bad from a number of perspectives, not the least of which would be having a new generation exposed to Chuck in Drum Corps. When was the last time anyone played one of his tunes?

They are fielding a corps this year (gearing up for their 50th anniversary) and will be playing a Chuck Mangione tune ("Echano"): Kingston Grenadiers

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are fielding a corps this year (gearing up for their 50th anniversary) and will be playing a Chuck Mangione tune ("Echano"): Kingston Grenadiers

I knew they were back this year but I didn't clue in about Echano. Great news on both counts, but I hope they hold on to the Mangione design for future use.

Clouds? Legend? Wheren't there a few more such toons floating around back when? I was always partial to the Freelancer's Bellavia.

Sorry, OT AGAIN !!!

BD2RINGS, do you know a guy by the name of Myron Melnick from TORONTO Canada ?? :tongue:

He instructed me in 1976 in Dutch Boy Cadets !!! :guinesssmilie:

Yes, I do know Myron. I hadn't seen nor heard from him in many years until he started posting on the Blue Devils pages. He came out to Stanford last August to play with the Concord and Santa Clara alumni.

Once in drum corps......

For those that have been in drum corps, no explanation is necessary.

For those that have not been in drum corps, no explanation is possible.

Now back to the original programming.

#### Kel, you sure looked good up on the podium........

Edited by BD2Rings

Now back to the original programming.

#### Kel, you sure looked good up on the podium........

Do I have to challenge you to sabres at dawn, sir? My second will contact your second.... :guinesssmilie:

Yes, I do know Myron.

um...I taught Dutch Boy Cadets guard part time in '76...Could you please say hello to Myron from all of us? Thanks. From Linda.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to Seneca Optimists.

Speaking of 50th anniversaries, Optimists are 50 year old this year.

Just got back from rehearsal (100 car pile up on the 400 highway to drive around) and the horn line sounds really good. Very clean for January. Marching 8 snares this year and we're drumming like it's May. We also have a start on drill thanks to the dome at St. Mike's College.

There's going to be a party in the summer, but a date hasn't been picked yet.

Del is also celebrating a 50th too. It was '58 when they evolved into a drum corps from a band (and here in '08 drum corps are 'evolving' into bands - excuse me, I must go and be sick for a moment... Ok, I'm back).

later,

John

• 2 weeks later...

parachuteMcCusker1.jpg

This was the centerfold for our Seneca Optimists' 1977 corps yearbook. It folded out in 4 and was a pretty

hilarious depiction of his version of what may could be happening under the chute done by Canadian drum corps artist Paul McCusker

This topic made for a lot of fun reading. I started my DC days in '77 and was at Mt Rushmore for the infamous " show your goods" session. I had completely forgotten that event.

While I shouldn't be, I am still amazed at the inter connections between the SW Ontario corps, and to some extent the West Coast corps, that stem from both the staffs and the marching members of that time. Myron would be one of those people - I had heard of Myron from the DB Cadet guys but it was only a name. Finally met him and got his side of the story around '92 in Chicago at a Rules Congress. Haven't seen him since.

Wendy - its great to see your name on here and it sounds like all is going well. And if anyone sees Len - please tell him Gardiner says HI!!

Jim