Seeking Corps Director for Texas Kingsmen

The Texas Kingsmen Junior Drum & Bugle Corps from Corpus Christi, Texas is looking for a Corps Director. The Corps is a new project governed by the Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (est. 1991) and is only in the earliest stages of development. An all-professional instructional and writing staff is in place and raring to go. Recruiting has been ongoing since the spring of 2007 and interest is very high in this region. A rehearsal facility has been secured and the Corps is ready to begin rehearsals this winter as a brass & percussion ensemble with plans to transition into a drum & bugle corps in the next year or two. All that is missing is an administrator to step in and take charge of the project.

Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (GCDCA) will be conducting the interviews. The appropriate candidate will:

-Have a strong work ethic and impeccable business ethics.

-Have the leadership ability to lead an adult staff and student members.

-Have some experience with this type of activity.

-Have the ability to travel with the Corps during the summer.

-Be willing to put in long hours, take tons of abuse, and not get paid (initially) to do it.

-Have the willingness and passion to see this project through to completion.

Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (GCDCA) will provide oversight to the Corps as they do with the Gulf Coast Sound Drum & Bugle Corps from Houston, Texas. This Board of Directors has decades of experience in the activity and has successfully funded and produced two summer Drum Corps Associates (DCA) competitions. In 2008 GCDCA will produce a third DCA show along with a new Winter Guard Individual & Ensemble competition.

Applicants may submit their resumes to: Resume@TexasKingsmen.org by February 15th, 2008

The Texas Kingsmen Junior Drum & Bugle Corps from Corpus Christi, Texas is looking for a Corps Director. The Corps is a new project governed by the Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (est. 1991) and is only in the earliest stages of development. An all-professional instructional and writing staff is in place and raring to go. Recruiting has been ongoing since the spring of 2007 and interest is very high in this region. A rehearsal facility has been secured and the Corps is ready to begin rehearsals this winter as a brass & percussion ensemble with plans to transition into a drum & bugle corps in the next year or two. All that is missing is an administrator to step in and take charge of the project.

Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (GCDCA) will be conducting the interviews. The appropriate candidate will:

-Have a strong work ethic and impeccable business ethics.

-Have the leadership ability to lead an adult staff and student members.

-Have some experience with this type of activity.

-Have the ability to travel with the Corps during the summer.

-Be willing to put in long hours, take tons of abuse, and not get paid (initially) to do it.

-Have the willingness and passion to see this project through to completion.

Gulf Coast Drum Corps Associates (GCDCA) will provide oversight to the Corps as they do with the Gulf Coast Sound Drum & Bugle Corps from Houston, Texas. This Board of Directors has decades of experience in the activity and has successfully funded and produced two summer Drum Corps Associates (DCA) competitions. In 2008 GCDCA will produce a third DCA show along with a new Winter Guard Individual & Ensemble competition.

Applicants may submit their resumes to: Resume@TexasKingsmen.org by February 15th, 2008

great to hear the corps is getting ready to be up and running. Great group of people associated with this project.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!

I wish you the best of luck in your new corps. BUT, I do have to laugh at the "job description" you gave for a Director. Specifically, I am talking about point five. I know it's best to be honest, but I cannot imagine a whole lot of people getting excited over the statement "be willing to put in long hours, take tons of abuse, and not get paid (initially) to do it". I know its true, but that is like trying to sell a new pickup by saying "it eats tons of gas and will cost you an arm and a leg to get repaired".

Yes, good luck to you all with the upcoming season. It's nice to see more drum corps coming to the field. It seems like every year a drum corps dies and fades away.

I also got a chuckle out of the job description but, it is true. Being a corps director is not for the faint of heart. It's not only about the glory of winning...it's a position that takes deep commitment and a lot of heart to lead the organization successfully down the road to championships.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

-GM

Yeah...I'm with Greg on this one. While I, of all people, appreciate sarcasm and "truth in advertising", just use caution in that approach. To US, we can appreciate the sentiment. We all have our own stories of our own "Jack Bevins" that had to work miracles to keep a corps on the road. On the other hand, if someone not quite familiar with the activity is looking for an interesting 2nd project to volunteer at, it may cause concern.

Good luck.

People, I cannot stress enough how excited I am about the Texas Kingsmen. When this was first announced to us at GCS, it was met with great enthusiasm. I'd be willing to do anything to help TXK out, just to see it come to fruition. I think I am crazy enough that if I had the resources and the know-how, I'd step up and be the director. However, I don't think I'm there at all. Thus, my tenure at GCS continues.

Please, if you have the gumption, resources, know-how, and the insanity that pretty much ALL corps directors posess, then strongly consider this. There are lots of kids/students wanting this to happen. And it is an exellent opportunity to show the drum corps world what else Texas has to offer.

It's great to see some Corps starting up in the Lone Star State. It's something that's baffled Drum Corps people for years. Texas is LOADED with marching musical talent. It seems like every other kid in DCI is from there, and they've known that for a long time. Corps don't have audition camps there just for giggles. Good luck and all the best.