BIG News from The Cavaliers

Wow, ten pages and not a single bash! I've never met Mr. Fiedler, but I have tremendous respect for him. Outside of drum corps, what is his resume? I'd like to know what other endeavors this incredible guy has achieved.

Here is his bio on Cavalier.org. It obviously hasn't been updated in a few years:

Jeff Fiedler is currently the full-time director of The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps, having served in that capacity as the part-time director for 16 years. He had served the marketing, public relations and development officer at a Catholic Chicago Archdiocesan high school - St. Francis de Sales. 2006 had been his tenth year in this administrative position, after nine years of teaching (five as a department chair) at the same school.

Prior to teaching, Fiedler worked for ABC/Capitol Cities publishing in Wheaton, Ill. He is a graduate of Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism - BSJ-81. He achieved his educational credentials at Northeastern University, Chicago in the mid-80s.

Fiedler saw his first drum corps in the mid-60s while visiting his cousins who were members of the Crusaders of Milstadt, Ill. He officially began his drum corps career with the Cavaliers' cadet corps in 1973, moving up to The Cavaliers as a baritone player in 1975. He was the corps’ drum major in 1979 and 1980. In the winter of 1981 he marched in the corps' winter guard (WGI Champions, Syracuse). From 1981 to 1990 he served the corps as a flag instructor, program/staff coordinator, visual caption head, personnel director and assistant director.

His favorite corps memories include performing in Birmingham in 1980, working with Steve Brubaker (long-time Cavaliers visual designer), the Cavaliers' winter guard years, perfecting the 1995 “Planets” show and celebrating the corps' 50th anniversary in 1998.

Fiedler always has believed and advocated that the best thing about the drum corps activity is the people one meets, the friends made and valued forever, as well as the impact the organization has on individuals as they grow up.

In addition to his directorial duties, Fiedler serves as an officer (vice president) on the Cavaliers Board of Directors and is currently the Chairman of the Board of Drum Corps International, serving on the executive committee. He was most recently inducted into the Drum Corps International Hall of Fame in 2005.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that the new director is not assuming the position full time, but is keeping his teaching job...

Interesting in what way? Maybe I can clear it up * a little *, though Bruno, as far as I know, hasn't addressed this publicly. I do know that Bruno is also a passionate educator, with a longtime job in Pennsylvania, and he's only a few years from collecting retirement there. So he's not local to Chicago, like Jeff, and he's put in a couple decades as corps instructor and assistant director developing a pattern of commuting that works. So my guess is go with what works, in the beginning. And as I just mentioned, Bruno has a teaching career he's passionate about, too. Hey, it's still SO early right now in the transition; give things time to shake out.

Here's hoping that Jeff lives longer in retirement than Gail.

YIKES... and how. :cool:

Really, though, Jeff isn't even 50. Maybe we forget when we see a tenure with the number 35 beside it that, hey, he started when he was 13! Gail was a much older man when he walked away, though sadly, cancer is a specter that can creep up on any of us.

Gail was a joker right to the end, though. There are several stories Don Warren told me about their final conversations that show Gail's spirit, and their friendship. And one I'd *like* to tell on here, but it's probably too profane, even for the censors! :cool:

But here's a goodie, straight from Building the Green Machine:

... The Cavaliers were on their way to their 1992 title when Warren and Royer stood together during a contest late in the year and discussed the Vanguard leader’s retirement from the activity he’d dominated. Short of soaking up sun in Hawaii, Warren couldn’t imagine anything else sustaining the man. He asked Royer why he’d moved from judging to directing in the first place.

“You really don’t know?” Royer responded.

“No,” Warren said.

“You. You and Ferrera. When I was judging, you two were always on my back like I didn’t know my stuff. The only way I could prove that I knew more about music than you guys did was to start a drum corps and beat you.”

“Well, you were sure as hell successful there,” Warren said, a wry grin spreading across his face. “But I still don’t think you were a very good judge.”

Royer growled something in rejoinder, but this was the way between them. They were competitors, sure, but friends. The following spring Warren called Royer and learned he’d been stricken with cancer. ...

Wow, ten pages and not a single bash! I've never met Mr. Fiedler, but I have tremendous respect for him. Outside of drum corps, what is his resume? I'd like to know what other endeavors this incredible guy has achieved. ...

"Mr." Boo likely has many stories about Jeff, and I'd love to hear them, too! I think what's cool, and what has impacted so many people, is that they watched him grow up and come into his own in the Cavaliers. From cadet to baritone to drum major to instructor to program coordinator to assistant director to director, I've never heard of Jeff acting with anything but poise, and consider the learning curve there: difficult to pull off. But drum corps is an activity with many gems, glittering examples of dedication and great people. It's right that we celebrate them.

It was a privilege for me, in writing Building the Green Machine, to meet so many of the stellar folks who keep the Cavaliers rolling, and to tell their stories. With the longtimers, like Jeff, I was afforded a glimpse into how their lives developed, from childhood to adulthood. I'll be posting short excerpts this week at www.cavaliersbook.com from parts of the book that talk about Jeff's life and career. Drop on by the Blog and share your own memories! Today, I'll tell how Jeff came to the Cavaliers.

Edited by ColtFoutz

From my vantage point as a spectator, it's clear he was a force in this activity. I knew nothing about drum corps when I went to my first show (in Omaha) in June 2006, but the Cavies were there and it was clear even to this ignoramus that the Cavies were the class of that show. Excellence flows from the top down.

Best of wishes to Mr. Fiedler in his future endeavors.

It was about time that someone said it, IMO, he (and Scott Stewart) were the foil to many of Hopkin's ideas of drum corps should be. Both of these gentleman would actually take the time to think and test things through to see if they were viable for drum corps. Now with him gone I'm a bit on nerve about what will happen to drum corps. Jeff will be missed in many ways.

"Mr." Boo likely has many stories about Jeff, and I'd love to hear them,..

Thw thing that PO's me about Jeff is all my stories are G-rated.

This entire situation makes me wonder what the real reason was for Jeff''s "retirement" from an organization he spent 17 years with. This is especially true seeing Jeff left a long time career in education just one year ago to become the Cavalier's full time, paid Director. Could it be creative differences with the BOD, perhaps monetary problems trying to live on a corps' directors salary? Something just doesnt ring true here. None the less, I wish Jeff and the Cavaliers continued success in their future endeavors.

Edited by morganhill

I was very surprised to read this news. Another one of those things that makes me feel old, as Jeff was marching Cavies back when I was marching Oakland. I really admire what he's done with Cavaliers, and how he managed to help the corps maintain its tradition while moving to the forefront to the activity. I know him only by reputation, but have a lot of respect for what he achieved.

Best wishes to Jeff in his future endeavors, and best wishes to Cavaliers and their new director for continued success.

If it's G for Green then share 'em anyway! :cool:

I posted an excerpt from the book about how Jeff came to the Cavaliers at the book site blog here: www.cavaliersbook.com/interact.

A few folks have already posted their memories and/or reactions to the original blog about Jeff's announcement. All are welcome to stop by and chime in.

Oh, there are a few "locker room" stories but like with sports teams, "what is said in the locker room stays in the locker room." :cool: Hey, I have a few about Boo but the brotherhood is stong in the Cavaliers. You'll never hear them from me.