BIG News from The Cavaliers

To those who've question the timing of this announcement and in particular its "suddenness," let me offer a few thoughts.

I have no inside knowledge about this particular case. I do, however, have lots of experience with changes in senior leadership in the corporate world. It’s common in companies for changes such as this to be months, even years, in the making only to be announced suddenly and unexpectedly to most. It is entirely possible – again I have no inside information – that Fiedler and the board have been discussing the timing of his departure for a long time. It’s even possible that last year’s appointment as fulltime director was made to forestall something that might have happened sooner.

My point is as sudden as it might seem to you or me, it might not have been sudden at all to certain Cavie leaders and might have happened precisely on schedule. Or not.

HH

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit stunned as this news was a bit out of the blue, but hey Jeff, thanks for the ride buddy. Your corps have entertained and awed, and completely changed the face of the activity, and you were at the forefront of all that. When you look in the mirror, you should be proud.

Let me ask this question.

In my opinion, last year’s Cavies show wasn’t to the standard we’ve come to expect recently. I’d offer as validation the tepid comment that show generally attracted on this board.

So my question is, knowing what we now know about Fiedler leaving, to what extent did last year’s show reflect his fatigue, diminishing interest, distraction or whatever the right characterization is? Or conversely, to what extent did last year’s show persuade him the effort to offset that fatigue, diminishing interest, distraction or whatever the right characterization is was too much to ask again?

Standard disclaimer applies: I’m asking an honest question in the hopes of either getting a reasonable answer or a reasonable discussion. I’m not trying to criticize any individual or corps, nor am I trying to ruin anyone’s perception of that corps and its performance.

HH

In my opinion, last year’s Cavies show wasn’t to the standard we’ve come to expect recently. I’d offer as validation the tepid comment that show generally attracted on this board.

So my question is, knowing what we now know about Fiedler leaving, to what extent did last year’s show reflect his fatigue, diminishing interest, distraction or whatever the right characterization is? Or conversely, to what extent did last year’s show persuade him the effort to offset that fatigue, diminishing interest, distraction or whatever the right characterization is was too much to ask again?

Standard disclaimer applies: I’m asking an honest question in the hopes of either getting a reasonable answer or a reasonable discussion. I’m not trying to criticize any individual or corps, nor am I trying to ruin anyone’s perception of that corps and its performance.

HH

I think that last year's production just didn't work. It didn't result from any bad decision, I certainly thought the concept looked good on paper just like the Chicago show, and Jeff's mindset wouldn't have changed the outcome. The Cavies machine will continue to do its thing.

As for last year being the impetus for Jeff's leaving... when it's your time, it's just your time. It doesn't matter if you are on a high or a low, you'll know when it's time for a career change.

None.

Edited by dc oldtimer

I think I figured it out !! Here is why Jeff is leaving the Cavies

Too bad you were not there the next year when Jeff marched right off the podium. He was pretty limber. One leg stayed on top of the podium. It would have made for an interesting photo. It was pretty funny from the field:

Step 1,2,3 turn to the front of the field and..... no Jeff. Where did he go?

From the Old Photos thread a few weeks ago ! He was reminded of the incident and just can't bear the burden on his shoulders ! [/sarcasm]

But seriously, I wish him the best. I have never met him personally, but like many of the other older posters on this board, marched around the same time as him.

I've never been one to comment on this forum, but since this is regarding my friend and mentor, I'd like to say a few things.

Without getting into much (or any) detail, Jeff's retirement had nothing to do with the placement of the corps, the show last year, the BOD, or anything like that. Simply put, Jeff has spent 35 consecutive summers with The Cavaliers. He loves the corps so much, that he needs to remove himself, and he needs to do it right now. Again, 35 summers! I will not claim to know every detail and motive. I will say that I am confident that there is no drama, there is no secret, and there is no real surprize here if you think about it. 35 SUMMERS!

People often joke about how Jeff is a machine who eats, sleeps (one hour a week), and breaths The Cavaliers. Jeff is a human being, and one that cannot and should not be expected to be the only person in the world capable of running The Cavaliers.

So before the conspiracy theororists start coming out with their stories, I will say this: get a life guys, it's just retirement.

I have not spoken to Jeff since the announcement, so Jeff, if you're reading this, I apologize for posting here as I know your thoughts on this place. I can only hope that I accurately and tactfully shared my thoughts on this personal decision of yours.

With nothing but respect,

Zack Rodriguez

A Cavalier

1998 - 2001

Without getting into much (or any) detail, Jeff's retirement had nothing to do with the placement of the corps, the show last year, the BOD, or anything like that. Simply put, Jeff has spent 35 consecutive summers with The Cavaliers. He loves the corps so much, that he needs to remove himself, and he needs to do it right now. Again, 35 summers! I will not claim to know every detail and motive. I will say that I am confident that there is no drama, there is no secret, and there is no real surprize here if you think about it. 35 SUMMERS!

People often joke about how Jeff is a machine who eats, sleeps (one hour a week), and breaths The Cavaliers. Jeff is a human being, and one that cannot and should not be expected to be the only person in the world capable of running The Cavaliers.

So before the conspiracy theororists start coming out with their stories, I will say this: get a life guys, it's just retirement.

Amen Zach. I don't claim to know everything either but if there was some small smell of "drama", those associated closely with the corps would have got a whiff of it. In this case. nothing.

To quote Kevin Costner to James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams:

"The man has done enough. Leave him alone."

or another quote from somewhere:

"Keep moving people. There is nothing to see here"

HH

In regards to last year's show, you have to remember that the corps had a lot more new members than it has had in the past few years. The corps had a lot of age-outs in '06, which left a smaller veteran presence for the '07 season.

Hey, there's not a thing in the world wrong with us speculating on why now. It might not have had a thing in the world to do with last year. Or it might have. The fact is he decided to walk away now. It's legitimate for us to ask why now and not last year or next year. It's neither rude nor disrespectful for us to discuss why he made the decision he did at the moment he did.

Those who don't care to participate in this discussion are free to sit it out.

HH

Edited by glory