Worst Injury you marched a show with

I have no corps experience, but still have a couple of injury stories. My freshman year in high school i had to march for about 6 weeks with a full arm cast that held my right arm in an L shape the whole time. The cast came off the day of our first full uniform performance (we wore golf shirts and shorts for the first three or four games). The fact that my muscles had atrophied didnt hit me until halftime when we first popped up the horns and right arm decided to call it a night 5 seconds into the show. I woke up the next day and could barely lift my arm.

Ok one more. It was the same season and one of my friends broke his collarbone the day we left for our first ever BOA performance. He marched the entire weekend with his right arm (playing arm) hanging slightly lower than his left. He did the same thing the next friday at our last football game of the year. Just took the sling off and left it off.

I know my story is kinda soft compared to the others, but my buddy's story was pretty intense considering a good breeze can blow him away.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning:

In addition to the heroism of 1999 SCV snare player Ray completing his season after severe burns and the loss of his brother, one of the people that sticks to memory cells is the 2nd bass player from 2001 SCV. The injury escapes me at the moment (torn tendon?) but you can actually see the poor guy favoring one leg while struggling on the DVD. (check out SCV 2001 between 9:40 and 10:10 plus if you really look hard, the last few seconds in the back). He had to be really hurting near the end - and took heroic measures to complete the show.

A tip of the Aussie to you...and all the heroes of drum corps!

Mav

Edited by MAV

• 2 weeks later...

One night at about 3 am getting off of a bus, I was pulling my bag off half asleep, and it was on the bottom, and being how stupid I am, the one on top of mine fell on my big toe, ripping it open. The next day I was out because my toe was purple and the size of my fist it seemed- I could barely get it in my shoe. Then it healed, and about a week later in Virginia, my toe started to itch. It looked like a normal bug bite or something, but the pain got progressively worse and my toe started to swell up again. I ignored it for a few days, until my shoe wouldnt go on again. So I talked to out trainer, he thought it was a spider bite...i was like "all right then", then it kept getting worse and more swollen. So I thought I needed to go to the hospital because it started to explode with puss (yum), and when i got there, the doc said it was a Staph Infection...or so they thought. They tested it, and never called me with the results, but his first diagnosis was a Staph Infection. I got antibiotics and had to drain it in warm water every day (when it drained it looked like a lava lamp of blood and puss), and had to tape it. I marched i think 4 or 5 shows in excruciating pain because you know that crease your marching shoes make at the toes? Yea, that's exactly where my infection was- so the shoes would squeeze the toe each and every step. Eventually it healed, but of course, when i was about 3/4 of the way through my antibiotic...i lose it. So I dont think it ever fully healed, and sometimes when I accidentally drop things on it (yea im clumsy), it hurts for about 20 mins...so i think it's still there, but it hasnt amounted to anything so it's all good.

Sorry for the life story there, but hey, I was bored.

When my lovely bride was marching with Geneseo Knights, they had really bad lighting for their night rehearsals. One night she took a flagpole to the face...one black eye. Then it happened again...two black eyes. Earned her the nickname "Adrian." Figure it out.

Garry in Vegas

Hey Garry,

My buddy Al and I started that, when she went to PR we always gave her a shout out! Tell her "Yo Adrain" for me.

In February of '76 I had my first knee surgery. Free floating cartiledge removed, holes drilled in the bone allowing the marrow to bleed and form new stuff. Got a ring that summer.

In March of '77 I had the other knee done. Same excercise and second ring.

Based on my age, I could have marched two more years. Due to physical pain, I did not.