corps and cell phones

No thanks.

I respect the cavaliers and their policy, but some people take things overboard. Sure, people can become introverted and antisocial with technology, but there is such a thing as 'too much'. I spend 24 hours a day, for 90 days in a row, living in close quarters with the same 150 people, and now you tell me that I shouldn't be able to escape into my own music or communication for a couple of minutes?

Right.

For me there was a big difference between rehearsing next to someone for hours upon hours...and then getting to talk to them.

I enjoyed the social time that I had between rehearsing and sleeping...so maybe it is just a difference of personalities.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a cell phone both years I've been on tour, and I don't talk to anyone back home for more than five minutes, I'm usually doing something with other corps members. The only other time I use my phone is to find out where my corps friends are on free days.

This would definitely be convenient. Also finding friends from other corps after you did your show… I remember spending lots of time walking around looking for friends from other corps.

It's just a different activity today for the members and as an old fart I feel sad about it. Honestly, if I had a cell phone on tour "back in the day" I would have used it too much and it would have totally been a crutch for me. I would have called my boyfriend at home and mom when I had a bad day. The beautiful thing about not having one was that, since I had no other options, I had to find a way to manage without mom or boyfriend back home. Imagine that, I was capable enough as a young adult to get through a tiring practice where I felt like I was being picked on by my instructors without crying on mom's shoulder.

The isolation was really beneficial too for unity among members. We felt like we were sharing a foxhole and only had each other to count on. Can you imagine what would have happened if some of the misadventures we old folks talk about was shared with parents while it was happening? We could have sent video home to mom and dad of being stranded on the side of the highway or packing 50% too many people on a bus. All the free day misadventures? No decent food? Instructors screaming? I can just see parents arriving to scoop up kids or calling lawyers and shutting corps down.

I totally hear what you are saying. I was downhill skiing the other day and the kids all had cell phones talking away telling each other where they were on the hill every five minutes like they were using walky-talkies. It was amazing to me… Life is much different now…

My parents wouldn't let me go on tour unless I brought my cell phone. :/

I'd be interested in hearing from marchers who brought a phone on tour whether your used it as much in August as you did in June. Did your usage change as the summer progressed?

HH

I definitely used it more in June during spring training than I did in July/August on tour. Usage went from every other day in June to once a week in July/August.

I would find that insulting. My own parents don't think I can handle myself in a supervised youth activity without constant contact?

Unfortunately, mine are the same way.

Except it was the boring old "It's not you we don't trust. It's everyone around you." line.

So I usually gave them a call about a minute before lights out and kept it very short unless I actually had something substantial to share with them. But if ever I missed a day, they would be very worried about me the next time I called them.

Never let that get in the way of bonding with the people around me, though. One reason for going on tour was to grow up a little away from home, not to carry home around with me in the form of a small hand held electronic device.

Unfortunately, mine are the same way.

Except it was the boring old "It's not you we don't trust. It's everyone around you." line.

So I usually gave them a call about a minute before lights out and kept it very short unless I actually had something substantial to share with them. But if ever I missed a day, they would be very worried about me the next time I called them.

Never let that get in the way of bonding with the people around me, though. One reason for going on tour was to grow up a little away from home, not to carry home around with me in the form of a small hand held electronic device.

You give this old fart a sense of pride in your generation. :smile:

For me there was a big difference between rehearsing next to someone for hours upon hours...and then getting to talk to them.

I enjoyed the social time that I had between rehearsing and sleeping...so maybe it is just a difference of personalities.

Yeah, there is a pretty big difference...but, if your experience was anything like mine, half the time you just want to kill some of the people around you. I dont even mean that in a bad way, its just how it is for me. Drum corps is a very high stress, high tension environment 95% of the time. If you want to spend the other 5% of the time chilling with corpsmates - cool. If you want to talk to family and friends at home...cool. Oddly enough, the best friend I ever made in drum corps was someone i talked to every night on the phone in 2005 (they marched the next year of course)

I would find that insulting. My own parents don't think I can handle myself in a supervised youth activity without constant contact?

i don't know about your parents...but my parents loved me and wanted to hear from me once in a while-remember payphones are practically non-existent these days

it never ceases to amaze me how much this forum can really lay on the lame.

hey, you with the cellphone... put it down. the answer is yes, you can actually go 3 months without a cellphone. theres plenty of ways to contact your parents or anybody else for that matter. are you marching drumcorps or are you at summer camp?

also for those who may wonder, your parents dont have the right to contact you whenever and wherever they feel like it. what are you 12? they can deal with it for 3 months as well. if they, or you, cant handle that.... well then maybe you should stay home and continue to shelter yourself from the real world, and leave the business of winning world titles to all the kids that can think and act for themselves.

oh wait you dont want to talk to your fellow mm's? oh well thats fine, nobody's perfect and not everyone has good people skills. just get used to it, because odds are when you get a real job and a life, your going to be surrounded by idiots like me who dont care who you really are "on the inside" and who are really only interested if you can get your job done right.

toodles! :smile: