CAMP! Madison Style

It just saddens me that drum players and horn players don't get the kind of financial breaks that these new guard guys are going to get. Does this sort of "bribe" occur all over drum corps now? I mean, I've heard of hardship cases before and corps "angels" being asked to sponsor a specific kid, but never has it mattered what instrument they perfom on or whether they are in the guard.

"Bribe?" It's simple economics. The price of spot, whether measured in dollars or sweat, depends on the number of guys trying out for that spot. That said, I'm sure that the guard members who make it will work just as hard, if not harder, than the other sections.

Lowering the cost for guard members also benefits guys in the brass and drum lines. It means that the overall corps ranking is likely to improve. And since visual impacts every other caption, it means that the brass and drums are more likely to see their efforts rewarded. A guard with less than 30 members just doesn't cut it these days. That's DCI, not Madison. If you want to be in the night show, you need the numbers.

Let's suppose that Madison didn't provide any extra incentive and came out with 24 guys in the guard. That would dog them all season long. Moral would decline and they would be back in the downward spiral.

It's great to see the alumni from the guard stepping up. This has been an area of concern for several years and it must be addressed for the Scouts to be competitive.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guard alumni simply decided to take pride in the continuity of that section and the corps they love by providing this opportunity. As a horn member alumni, we could do the same thing, if we choose. There are so many guard guys that have about $5,000 in dues per year for colorguard and drum corps, it IS a matter of economics. Thanks to the guys stepping forward to support our future brothers.

MYNWA,

Brent

"Bribe?" It's simple economics. The price of spot, whether measured in dollars or sweat, depends on the number of guys trying out for that spot. That said, I'm sure that the guard members who make it will work just as hard, if not harder, than the other sections.

Lowering the cost for guard members also benefits guys in the brass and drum lines. It means that the overall corps ranking is likely to improve. And since visual impacts every other caption, it means that the brass and drums are more likely to see their efforts rewarded. A guard with less than 30 members just doesn't cut it these days. That's DCI, not Madison. If you want to be in the night show, you need the numbers.

Let's suppose that Madison didn't provide any extra incentive and came out with 24 guys in the guard. That would dog them all season long. Moral would decline and they would be back in the downward spiral.

It's great to see the alumni from the guard stepping up. This has been an area of concern for several years and it must be addressed for the Scouts to be competitive.

Thanks for the kick. Already said..rethought...I was wrong.

But go ahead and kick...I KNOW how good it makes you feel.

Hm.... looks like the outline of a lizard or iguana?

Mal-iguana? :wall:

Nice one!

Or maybe they've saved a lot of money on their car (and bus) insurance?

I know that people aren't supposed to know the title/show music yet. But so many have figured clues out, I will have to divulge.

Movement 1-A-Ha-Take On Me. With the allowing of electronic keyboards, this will be an opener that will leave the audience screaming for more.

Movement 2-Charma-Chameleon-We all know the song, you saw the clue. It's also the corps colors-Red, Gold, and Green. This will be a ballad/production number.

Movement 3-Toxic by Britney Spears. It's time to bring out the Britney wonderment to the field, what better year in the world to do it. The guard is going to shave their heads during this point of the show, ala Bishop Karney's 1995 Sybil show(winterguard).

Movement 4-Mr. Roboto by Styx, again, the keyboards!

I know that this is supposed to be kept secret, but guys, I couldn't resist.

man... a few years ago some criticized the alumni for being selfish and not contributing money to the corps but only for themselves when we did the alumni project. (even though the alumni did present a check for $15,000 to the corps at the unjudged exhibition show a few days before finals in '06, and you could not participate in the project unless your alumni dues were paid in full...)

Now a group of alumni get together and get money to a place that will allow some guys to march... and THEY get criticized for doing THAT! :wall:

Danged if you do... danged if you don't.

Good grief.

Edited by GGarrett

I know that people aren't supposed to know the title/show music yet. But so many have figured clues out, I will have to divulge.

Movement 1-A-Ha-Take On Me. With the allowing of electronic keyboards, this will be an opener that will leave the audience screaming for more.

Movement 2-Charma-Chameleon-We all know the song, you saw the clue. It's also the corps colors-Red, Gold, and Green. This will be a ballad/production number.

Movement 3-Toxic by Britney Spears. It's time to bring out the Britney wonderment to the field, what better year in the world to do it. The guard is going to shave their heads during this point of the show, ala Bishop Karney's 1995 Sybil show(winterguard).

Movement 4-Mr. Roboto by Styx, again, the keyboards!

I know that this is supposed to be kept secret, but guys, I couldn't resist.

Loving it. Glam rock unis for the guard is a MUST