Show Etiquette

MHSmirage

We had our first show for the circuit this weekend. Several first and second year instructors are quite open about their opinions of other guards' costuming, music, design, everything. Opinions are ok. However I don't think you should be loud about it in the stands or in the pre-warm up area. So loud that parents are complaining about the directors' lack of class with eachother and students not affiliated with their programs.

How do you mentor the new crop of directors and how would you handle the situation?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an increasing problem in the circuit of which you speak. It's even a problem for the judges and I've heard a lot of personal "insight" on tapes when I was marching.

Hopefully this isn't happening to the guard you teach, if it is I would kindly remind them of what the aim of the game is. The kids don't get a choice of what they wear either and it's hard for them to hear it..

If it's not happening to your guard then I would leave it alone, a lot of people are short on class and thrive on drama and public scenes. If it's really a huge problem talk with the circuit heads and have an email sent out or it posted on the website.

email the circuit board about the behavior-- it is highly inappropriate and all directors should show respect for one another, even if they have personal issues with each other. And according to what he said this past Saturday, he really wants the organization to show support for its members and for the members to show support for one another.

email the circuit board about the behavior-- it is highly inappropriate and all directors should show respect for one another, even if they have personal issues with each other or don't like a show. And according to what the board president said this past Saturday, he really wants the organization to show support for its members and for the members to show support for one another.

I remember going to Northeast Regionals in Rochester several years ago. It was only my husband's second winter guard show; we'd gone a few years before, but it was in a different location (a high school gym) in Rochester. Anyway, during one guard's performance, that guard's two staff members were just behind us, and one of them -- the guy -- was going ballistic throughout the entire performance: yelling, overreacting to every little thing, etc. It reached a point where it was so obnoxious that nobody watching this fellow's guard could possibly enjoy their performance because he was making so much racket.

Now, I've been known to be a perfectionist, but at least I kept my opinions to myself until after my guards were done performing.

I remember going to Northeast Regionals in Rochester several years ago. It was only my husband's second winter guard show; we'd gone a few years before, but it was in a different location (a high school gym) in Rochester. Anyway, during one guard's performance, that guard's two staff members were just behind us, and one of them -- the guy -- was going ballistic throughout the entire performance: yelling, overreacting to every little thing, etc. It reached a point where it was so obnoxious that nobody watching this fellow's guard could possibly enjoy their performance because he was making so much racket.

Now, I've been known to be a perfectionist, but at least I kept my opinions to myself until after my guards were done performing.

That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. A guard staff going nuts throughout their groups show is just tacky. I can deal with them being happy, clapping and even being vocal when they hit certain ascepts of their show, but when it's a constant hoot and hollar fest that spands the entire show, there is a problem. I can remember one director clapping everytime his group transitioned sets (you don't realize how many sets there are until someone cheers for everyone of them).. . and he had one of those defcon 5 claps that could penetrate steel. Needless to say, I can't even remember their show, but I remember his annoying loud *ss clapping throughout their entire performance.

We had a problem in a circuit I was with a few years back...both with instructors being rude to other groups and also inappropriate contact with judges. We had to resort to telling people they would lose the opportunity for critique if they did not act appropriately, and after that didn't help, we had to remind them that their guard would not be allowed to perform if they could not control themselves. Sadly, some people never seem to learn......

Anyway, maybe an email to the board asking that they remind everyone of the WGI Instructors Code of Conduct?

"INSTRUCTORS CODE OF CONDUCT: The Color Guard Advisory Board feels that it is important to enforce the

Instructors’ Code of Ethics. If judges and staff are expected to adhere to a professional code of conduct, then it is

appropriate that this standard is exacted from the instructional community as well.

If undue and unfair pressure is applied to judges through inappropriate behavior, then this places the competitive

experience at risk. Examples include, but are not limited to: instructors shouting at judges in public, inappropriate

conduct of any instructor while accompanying the guard onto the contest floor, inordinate and unauthorized telephone

calls to judges. There is also a growing concern about disruptive behavior in the warm up area, and rude behavior from the performers and/or staff of one group towards another. Behavior of this type is intolerable and will result in the loss of the privilege that has been violated. For example, instructors could lose all telephone privileges with judges, they could be barred from the arena floor or contest venue, or lose the right to use the warm up venue. Addressing this important issue must be a priority for every guard.The managing administrator of the situation will determine the application of the action. The managing administrator in judging issues is the Chief Judge. The designated Contest Director is the administrator in situations pertaining to contest personnel. The Executive Board is the administrator in matters of poor sportsmanship or inter-guard issues."

Edited by justgin

I can remember one director clapping everytime his group transitioned sets (you don't realize how many sets there are until someone cheers for everyone of them).. . and he had one of those defcon 5 claps that could penetrate steel.

LOL, I'm going to have to remember that one! :wall:

Yeah, I'm with you. When I taught, I tried to keep most of my reactions to myself until after the show as over. I clapped, but like a normal person. And if I was unhappy with something . . . well, I held my tongue. No need to broadcast that to the whole world.

Sometimes I think staff members don't realize that their behavior reflects directly on their guard . . . and sometimes that's not a good thing. We need to be aware of all that we're teaching.

When I taught, I did NOT react to my guard at all. I wanted them to focus on the performance, not on my reaction.

Sounds like the directors of that circuit need some etiquette lessons!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in guards at both ends of the spectrum. My high school guard instructor was young and very immature when it came to ettiquette. She would belittle any show especially when it was in direct competition with us. We even had guard spirit cheers that belittled other guards. I then moved on to the Blue Stars drum corp where respect for every performance and group was drilled into my head. We had our 'enemies' but we only critiqued them when we were alone as a group. I then moved onto the SMSU program in Springfield, Missouri. We were taught to always be positive when around other groups or in the stands at any competition, even if we were at the event alone and not a part of an SMSU group. I may be a little more critical now but I still hold the philosophy of trying to find a positive for every negative, and I try to stay quiet until a performance has finished.