How Would They Stack Up Today?

The Best of NY  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would Your Top NY Corps Be Today?

• St. Joe's
    • Magnificent Yankees
    • St. Ignatius Girls
    • Mello Dears
    • Patriots
    • Greece Cadets
    • Squires
    • Purple Lancers
    • Avant Garde
    • LI Kingsmen
    • Gauchos
    • Black Knights
    • Vestal Grenadiers
    • Syracuse Marauders
    • Imperial Regiment
    • Eagles of Verona
    • Mark Twain Cadets
    • Tri Town Cadets
    • Royal Coachmen
    • Other

If all these NY corps were still here today...who would be the top dog. Use your imagination, Think management, staff, members, etc to choose your corps.

Now I know I missed some corps from the island so you can pop those into the Other category...I APOLOGIZE to any of you who are from that area.

I am picking my first corps The Royal Coachmen. Had the director been better supported by a few parents the corps may have been successful and lasted. The director was quite a businessman who is a fund raising guru and moreso today. The staff wasn't to bad back then.

Like all the corps...woulda, coulda, shoulda...but that is my pick.

If all these NY corps were still here today...who would be the top dog. Use your imagination, Think management, staff, members, etc to choose your corps.

Now I know I missed some corps from the island so you can pop those into the Other category...I APOLOGIZE to any of you who are from that area.

Like all the corps...woulda, coulda, shoulda...but that is my pick.

First about the apology. Accepted.

From your list (which omits about 15 to 20 Drum Corps from New York City & Long Island) I picked the Mighty St. Joe's Of Bativa who I hope you meant.

They had a great organization - mind you I only saw it from the outside and as a very young 14 year old. Aside from our sister corps St. Ignatius and the Mello Dears I don't think I recognize any of the others. Even from my time at St. Joseph Patron Cadets - who I know you didn't mean when you said St. Joes.

Were those other corps around during the sixties / seventies? Or were they much later on and in the now Class "A" category?

Puppet

Greece. I forget the year, but "Superman" opener and "Home" for the closer. Loved them that year!

How would they stack up? Nobody from those days could stand up to the visual programs or the musical standards of today, but they would get you on your feet for the power and emotion.

Edited by kusankusho

I spent majority of my DC days in upstate NY as well as Ontario, PA, OH and some in MI and IL. My only "downstate" memories were the two mentioned so I am sorry. Was St. Rita's in NY?

First about the apology. Accepted.

From your list (which omits about 15 to 20 Drum Corps from New York City & Long Island) I picked the Mighty St. Joe's Of Bativa who I hope you meant.

They had a great organization - mind you I only saw it from the outside and as a very young 14 year old. Aside from our sister corps St. Ignatius and the Mello Dears I don't think I recognize any of the others. Even from my time at St. Joseph Patron Cadets - who I know you didn't mean when you said St. Joes.

Were those other corps around during the sixties / seventies? Or were they much later on and in the now Class "A" category?

Puppet

Greece. I forget the year, but "Superman" opener and "Home" for the closer. Loved them that year!

How would they stack up? Nobody from those days could stand up to the visual programs or the musical standards of today, but they would get you on your feet for the power and emotion.

1979 I think

Actually St. Rocco's and Starlighters should be one on top of the list, but I voted St. Joes, hopefully its the one from Batavia. St. Joe Patrons from NYC were a top NYState corp as were St. Catherines Queensmen...Seldon Cadets.....wow, Keith, you missed some of the really top corps from NY. You must be younger then I thought you were. :lol:

Actually St. Rocco's and Starlighters should be one on top of the list, but I voted St. Joes, hopefully its the one from Batavia. St. Joe Patrons from NYC were a top NYState corp as were St. Catherines Queensmen...Seldon Cadets.....wow, Keith, you missed some of the really top corps from NY. You must be younger then I thought you were. :lol:

And don't forget Our Lady of Loretto from Brooklyn who supplied many future Skyliners.

Edited by gsksun4

I'm not perfect!

I am surprised that no one has put Mag Yankees, Purple Lancers, Squires or Avant Garde up there.

Avant Garde had it made through their years because many NY corps folded...Squires, Purple Lancers, Yankees and Joe's were gone and the only competition they had later on were The Patriots, Renegades, Fusion and Northmen and the last three were attempts at making a "supercorps" that never worked.