RIP, drum corps I knew

not conner

Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're joking. This post is honestly as wrong as a person can get. Have you ever taken a physics class? Do you know ANYTHING about acoustics, sound production, or even what an overtone is? Of course electronic instruments can produce overtones!

Oh snap. My mistake. I meant less overtones. My theory professor would freakin kill me.

Yes, seeing as how they are produced artificially, electronic instruments would produce less overtones than something made from a physical material, like a brass or woodwind instrument.

It may be a good thing if used properly. However, if you lose many tones off the series, you lose effect.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the record, you are absolutely correct. No debate there. Sound changes its characteristics whether it's passed through an amp, or played through an amp, but by no means whatsoever must an overtone be stripped simply because it's electronic.

Sorry, but there is no need to pick my opinions apart. I admitted my honest mistake, but yes, electronic music has less overtones because it is built closer to the simple tone, the theoretical computer-generated pitch with no overtones.

So, to answer the last posters question that you agreed with, yes I have taken a class in Acoustics, thank you very much.

I do not know what the whole fuss is about. If we start calling drum corps, band, then most of the general public would actually be correct instead of us correcting them all the time. I mean, aren't we always looking for a larger fan base in the drum corps world? I also have a very hard time getting drum corps shows. What was "Spin Cycle" about anyway? I hope these rule changes help simplify the activity.

Edited by ohnozkitty

Show me the man who can mix 72 individual channels of horn players, analyze their volume, velocity, direction, and location on the feild in real time while marching todays drill. And then, tell me why he'd be wasting his time playing with a drum corps.

But I suppose you do have a point; There really is nothing more to add to this conversation.

It won't be a man. It will be electronics... A computer program... Like the ones that Disney uses to coordinate their fireworks shows.

Would require electronic drum major as well. Very impractical, probably impossible.

Lets hope so...

But has the experience of working hard, living in discomfort, becoming part of a family, hurting, and loving it ever changed?

Technically, musically, soloists/small ensembles won't have to work as hard. I can remember a small ensemble in my show that they had to work so that all their musical lines were heard over the rest of the corps, now there would be no challenge.

DRUM CORPS changed my life.

But would it change your life if it was just like a high school BOA band, but w/ maybe a little more intensity (cause now corps won't have to work as hard to get a sound they want...not as hard core anymore)

But would it change your life if it was just like a high school BOA band, but w/ maybe a little more intensity (cause now corps won't have to work as hard to get a sound they want...not as hard core anymore)

Shh... don't say that too loudly, or we'll end up with "festival" ratings...

With a rating of 'Excellent', Pacific Crest... <golf clap>

Also with a rating of 'Excellent', Mandarins... <golf clap>

Also..........

Shh... don't say that too loudly, or we'll end up with "festival" ratings...

With a rating of 'Excellent', Pacific Crest... <golf clap>

Also with a rating of 'Excellent', Mandarins... <golf clap>

Also..........

Thanks drumcat, I think that's the first time I laughed during this whole forum. But it would be beyond sad if DCI did that.