RIP, drum corps I knew

LOL! Freakin' AMAZING!!!!

I cannot believe that some of you guys have let that information lead you to believe (and spread, for that matter) that Pioneer was scored lower for being on G. Heck, he spent 2/3 or more of that post talking about the condition of the horns, much less what key they were in or what he was led to believe from the judges.

Some of you are completely ridiculous.

No, what's ridiculous is looking back 41 pages just to find THAT post! :thumbup:

Notice Donny refers to an earlier post. I couldn't find that particular post so I went with the one I could find. Yes, the horns were in various stages of good to incredibly bad condition, but Donny referred to a comment specifically regarding G vs Bb in the other thread. Wish I could find it!

What do you think of my idea of a top-6 brass line using G bugles (SSHHH! SECRET!) and the possible ramifications?

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice Donny refers to an earlier post. I couldn't find that particular post so I went with the one I could find. Yes, the horns were in various stages of good to incredibly bad condition, but Donny referred to a comment specifically regarding G vs Bb in the other thread. Wish I could find it!

Garry in Vegas

Couldn't find it either but from what I remember someone posted about Pioneer going to Bb because the horn judges were penalizing them for still being in G. After some in-fighting on "no the judges didn't say that"... "yes they did".... Donny posted that the problems were being in G, condition of the horns and having mixed manufacturers. Until he posted, the people who didn't know any better (including me) thought it was only a G/Bb problem instead of a combination of the three.

Don't know Donnys entire background but he'd probably be considered a "dinosaur" by some becauseof his long time G playing. IMO, he gave an even handed discussion of the problem(s).

No, what's ridiculous is looking back 41 pages just to find THAT post! :thumbup:

What do you think of my idea of a top-6 brass line using G bugles (SSHHH! SECRET!) and the possible ramifications?

Garry in Vegas

I say it would be cool to see a top corps with top talent going back to G for a year and seeing what happens. That would be neat.

As far as Donny's comments, I would be interested to see the other post(s). But, the fact that their G line was in obviously abismal shape, IMO, makes any other point on scoring kinda moot. In the end, those kids were playing on crappy horns, which had to play a major role in their low scores. For any of you to ignore that fact and make assumptions otherwise is just silly.

The comment about the judges saying Pioneer would remain "last in brass" until they switched can be found here.

Thanks,

Also further down on the same page Donny posted again including this gem (OK IMO gem).

"Perhaps if a top six corps stayed on G's there may have been a ray of hope"

And for the record, you are absolutely correct. No debate there. Sound changes its characteristics whether it's passed through an amp, or played through an amp, but by no means whatsoever must an overtone be stripped simply because it's electronic.

In fact, we could add overtones electronically come 2009. (Well, OK, it's against the rules, but who'll know?)

As far as Donny's comments, I would be interested to see the other post(s).

Again, it's here.

But, the fact that their G line was in obviously abismal shape, IMO, makes any other point on scoring kinda moot. In the end, those kids were playing on crappy horns, which had to play a major role in their low scores. For any of you to ignore that fact and make assumptions otherwise is just silly.

Well, that's what the judges were doing.

The comment about the judges saying Pioneer would remain "last in brass" until they switched can be found here.

That is unfortunate. It is also unfortunate that they were playing on inferior horns and probably did deserve to be in last place in brass. While those judges were out of line, Pioneer was still placing where they belonged, IMO. It would have been interesting to see where the judging community as a whole would have placed them had they been on good horns (still in G) and were deserving of a higher spot.

Again, it's here.

Well, that's what the judges were doing.

The judges were ignoring that they were playing on poor instruments? Sorry, but that does not register. Were they not placing last in brass?

The judges were ignoring that they were playing on poor instruments? Sorry, but that does not register. Were they not placing last in brass?

How would the judges know what condition anyone's horns are in? Inspection went away at DCI's inception.

Point is, the promise that Pioneer would remain "last in brass" was made without consideration to the condition of their horns, or the quality of their performances - past, present or future. That promise was made based only on one factor - use of G bugles.