RIP, drum corps I knew

But would it change your life if it was just like a high school BOA band, but w/ maybe a little more intensity (cause now corps won't have to work as hard to get a sound they want...not as hard core anymore)

If you believe amplifying a few brass players some of the time could drastically, or even minimally change someone's overall drum corps experience... I think you're letting your anger go to your head.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you believe amplifying a few brass players some of the time could drastically, or even minimally change someone's overall drum corps experience... I think you're letting your anger go to your head.

No it's of what's to come, I realized I didn't say it in my initial post but I was refering to DCI slowly becoming more like BOA so in time...

Funny - didn't see one standing concert at DCA open class. Alumni corps is a whole different thing.

I won't for a minute try to pretend that with weekend only you can do the same things you can with everydays and going on tour. But to try to write DCA off as a bunch of old farts dong symetrical drill and colour pre's shows a serious lack of knoweldge about, and respect for, what DCA corps can do. Frankly, to turn out the shows that they do in the time available is a testament to the work ethic and experience in the ranks, and I can speak to that from first hand knowledge.

I have total respect for what the DCA corps do in the time frame that they do it. I saw firsthand where they were at twenty years ago and where they are at today and it is night and day. I've seen it firsthand the past two seasons in particular (including sitting through a hurricane!) and i enjoy and appreciate it. But it is a replacement for World Class drum corps. No way. Just as the competitiveness of NASCAR is not a replacement for the techno thrills of F!.

I in no way endorse all of the changes in recent years in DCI. Not a fan of narration or in particular amped voice, but see them as annoying science projects if not legitimate artistic explorations. Amped pits work, no problem. Electronics? sounds annoying, but might be okay if used with discretion. Units should proceed at their own risk. Woodwinds would be crossing somewhere I am not sure they want to be. In the end it comes down to is there still a wall of brass sound there to raise the hair on ones neck and a wall of a battery to raise one's pulse? A bunch of crazy kids pushing the envelope on what you think can possibly be played on a football field with ever increasing musical legitimacy? As long as the cake remains the same I can tolerate some different waves in the icing.

BTW I am an old fart as well and remember standing concert numbers, color pre's, and the like. But I also attend DCI, BOA, and compete in DCA solo and ensemble. And would be on the grass in a heartbeat with the right unit. There is always something enjoyable about each so I guess I am just easily amused.

Worry not everyone, for in due time the Drum Corps Messiah, G-sus, will return to earth from the drum corps heavens.

We know not what plans the Messiah holds in store for us, but be assured that all wrongs will be set right. Whether G-sus restores drum corps to its former glory, or casts the entire activity down into the bowels of drum corps hell, the world will be a better place for it. Believe now and all will be cured. Hesitate... and your despair will be amplified in ways that not even George Hopkins himself can imagine.

My sincerest condolences for drum corps's most recent loss,

-A friend

Drum Corps is dead!? When did that happen? When is the funeral?

Seriously people, if you think drum corps is dead then bye, leave, go to the DCA board and stay there. Stop bying merchandise from the corps and stop going to shows. Stop supporting the activity and just leave us people who still like it, and still support it alone.

The one thing I do not want you to do is in any way wait until 2009 to see what the shows are like before having an opinion. Do not come into this discussion with an open mind. And by all means please do not give a benefit of the doubt to those that run the activity. They surely do not know whats going on.

Oh and one more thing, I could care less about DCA. I do not want to see old guys and girls running around in their 40s and 50s doing corps. I do not want to see shows with pre 2000s rules. If I wanted to see that, I would buy the legacy collection.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Flame away!

No flame. Just a challenge. When you age-out, just walk away. No support, no shows, no opinion. You're done. Stick a fork in you. Is this realistic for you?

Garry in Vegas

How convenient it will be for those corps to blame their lower scoring on not conforming.

What if (BIG what if!) it's true? Historically, the corps that want to be perceived as competitive feel it's necessary to use everything allowed.

I posed this question in another thread last week sometime. What if one of the top-6 corps switched to G bugles and didn't tell anyone? Would it affect their scores? Would the judges be able to tell? And if it was discovered, or revealed by the corps, would they continue to be seen as competitive?

There is a bias regarding what a corps plays, whether it's acknowledged or not. Even regarding what brand of drum or brass instrument a corps plays, people have an opinion. Are judges exempt from the same type of biases? Yes, they're supposed to be. They're also human.

Garry in Vegas

Yes, I do. However, I will not be posting it. That will be up to DCI.

There's always PM! :thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

I understand disagreeing with the changes...

But what makes any one of you that marched before these changes better than the kids that will march after them?!?! How DARE YOU?! When did YOUR drum corps experience become more valuable than anyone else's?! Wow. Talk about a bunch of cry babies.

Two way street, too.

Garry in Vegas

That is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Donny's post regarding judge comments

Fact.

Garry in Vegas

LOL! Freakin' AMAZING!!!!

I cannot believe that some of you guys have let that information lead you to believe (and spread, for that matter) that Pioneer was scored lower for being on G. Heck, he spent 2/3 or more of that post talking about the condition of the horns, much less what key they were in or what he was led to believe from the judges.

Some of you are completely ridiculous.