RIP, drum corps I knew

The DCI BoD has become a joke. They conduct "secret ballots" which doesn't flush too well with people in a democratic society. They allow instructors (literally employees) to caucus and have far too much sway over the activity. Same goes for instrument companies. Directors always talk about how expensive Drum Corps is, but every time Hoppy proposes something that will make it less affordable, they march lock step behind him and vote for it. They deserve whatever they get. Too bad that if it goes wrong, the kids will probably wind up paying the price for their ineptitude in the long term. DCA is looking better all the time lately.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DCI BoD has become a joke. They conduct "secret ballots" which doesn't flush too well with people in a democratic society.

Secret ballots? Seriously?

They are in no way required to reveal any of the information to you aside from the results of the vote, and I don't think they are that different in this from other BOD's.

I think I may have thought of a creative way to use amps.....as very large, modern-looking flower pots :tongue:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....amped brass? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Why doesn't Hoppy just go for director of Blast! and leave this activity alone already? He's done more than enough damage to the new face of marching band (what used to be known as drum corps) in the six years since I started marching. Time for him to move on....if the fan's THRILLED reaction to Boston's electronics not working at Allentown (?) in '03 isn't enough to show that this kind of "improvement" isn't wanted, I don't know what is.

STOP HOP!!!!!!!!!!

...I think I've vented enough for tonight

oh, btw, that wasn't humidity, it was a driving rainstorm. worth it though, just for the looks on the other corps faces when they realized we were actually going on in that stuff, and the looks in ours later when our instructors told us that we were the only ones until star who didn't have a fall in our show.

Hey man I was there with a big trash bag over me screaming my ### off for you guys... I know. But that hit still did impress me. It may have just been the amount of contrast with 90% of the rest of the show as low as it was... And I will give up to you for marching in that... :tongue:

i marched in '93, so i didn't get to see star at finals, but we were in 6th at semis, and i was able to sneak up to the stands and watch the top 4 shows, and came back with two major impressions of star: that they were way better than they were early in the summer, when they were still in the red unis and basically stunk the place up, and that they were easily the quietest corps i'd ever seen in the top 6. if memory serves i was around the 35 yard line (right side, if your facing the field) and about 1/2 way up the stands.

oh, btw, that wasn't humidity, it was a driving rainstorm. worth it though, just for the looks on the other corps faces when they realized we were actually going on in that stuff, and the looks in ours later when our instructors told us that we were the only ones until star who didn't have a fall in our show.

That was a hell of a rainstorm! Kudos to you guys, you brought down the house that night. We went on after you, and it was still raining quite a bit. No falls though....

OK, point taken. Even though I haven't checked the fee for Harvard, but I think it is substantially less than an auditionee for BD, Cadets, et al pays. Not to mention the cost to travel there. It only costs 1 or 2 postage stamps to send your app to Cambridge, MA.

Costs $65 to apply to Harvard. I've been helping a single mom I know asher daughter applies to college..most of the top schools she is applying to are in the $65-$75 range.

Harvard, Yale, Swarthmore, UPENN, Brown, etc...

Not sure how it applies to an audition weekend though.

However, allow me to share some anecdotal analysis to support my thoughts.

I attended 2 DCI theater events last season. I went to the Classic Countdown and also the 2007 QuarterFinals. The Classic Countdown had a good cross section of folks...all of us starving for drum corps. It was also a much smaller crowd than the QF theater broadcast.

The QF broadcast was by far a much younger crowd and they were much more "rowdy" than the Classic Crowd. If I remember correctly, the price for each event was the same $18. DCI took in more money on the evening with the younger sample audience.

And again, this was only one city, two events. But, it's as close as I can think of to a sample study.

I attended the CC, and it was nowhere near full, here in NJ.

1/4 finals were sold out in North Brunswick, so I drove to the Neshaminy mall in PA...t was sold out as well..missed it completely.

I attended the CC, and it was nowhere near full, here in NJ.

1/4 finals were sold out in North Brunswick, so I drove to the Neshaminy mall in PA...t was sold out as well..missed it completely.

Again, meaningless to the discussion at hand.

Live event, during the season vs. not live event w/ multiple repeat shows from CC offerings of the last 2 years.

Apples to hair dryers comparison.

I find it interesting that most of the people who post on here that I have seen, are alumni. Its a real shame you can't see through the changes and still support the people who still march. Who says every drum corps HAS to have all that electronic crap? No-one!

'When drum corps was drum corps... blah blah blah'

Great! Sweet! You belittle us! It is unfair to us, who wish it could be how it WAS, and tell us we can't do it, with members OUR age, as you all did!

I absolutely disagree with all the electronics, and every Hopkins decision, and I still want to march drum corps, because I know some corps will push through all the change and remain unscathed by this. So far as I know, Santa Clara hasn't been talking on the field, Phantom Regiment hasn't, Troopers hasn't, Blue Knight's hasn't!

It was awfully 'great' to see this.