2008 Ageouts and beyond

I'm so happy it didn't pass. I know that if I was given the option to march one more year, I would, even though I really shouldn't. My mind and body are going to be shot by the time I age out as it is, much less I'll be poor and probably running into some issue with school and such.Everything would tell me I shouldn't march that 7th year, but my emotions would probably get the best of me and I doubt I'd finish the season intact.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The summer of 2011 (real age out is 2010), I would already be done teaching for a year. I would find it somewhat creepy if I were eligible to march with my students. Six years of marching World Class really is enough for me.

My rookie year I actually marched with this guy who was a student teacher in the next town over, as well as the best friend of the student teacher at my school.

That's just as weird as some friends who were teched (in h.s.) by people who they were rookies with.

if some people with bonus years are allowed to march while 22, why not everyone? I understand the "youth activity" argument...but it's not as if DCI or it's corps go to lengths to "hide" 22 year olds with bonus years from the drum corps community.

Cause those with bonus years will still have bonus years, and they will be 23. To me, that is just plain silly to march at that age. So as long as there are those with bonus years - which there always will be - you can keep making this argument until there is no age out.

Cause those with bonus years will still have bonus years, and they will be 23. To me, that is just plain silly to march at that age. So as long as there are those with bonus years - which there always will be - you can keep making this argument until there is no age out.

No, they wouldn't. The rule would have gotten rid of the "bonus year" and just made the ageout 22 for everyone.

I'm happy that it didn't pass, the reasoning for the proposal was so arbitrary. Drum corps is the best thing in the world, but everyone has to move on. Plus I could see it screwing over people who made long-term decisions around their age out and thus not being properly honored by DCI and their corps.

I already had the bonus year, and I'm going to take the bonus year, so I don't really care. Kind of glad it didn't pass though because it means I'll be one of the oldest '09 ageouts (June 3rd birthday).