The sooner woodwinds are allowed in DCI, the better

me: facts facts facts facts facts

you: uh... based on my anecdotal experience, DCI is lying.

nice.

You: Pro amps, pro electronics, all for change and an antagonist of those that disagree with you

Me: Old fogie, dinosaur, against woodwinds, voice, and electronics.

you do the math....

~G~

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. I think drum corps is as strong as ever. The reason we don't have 50+ corps in world class is because the price of a tour is more expensive. The quality of programs is still the same as those in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Just because we have less corps does not necessarily mean drum corps is dying. I guess only time will tell (I'm sure more corps will fold while others get created), but I honestly think we can look forward to quality shows for years to come. :music:

If you were a new CEO taking over a company with over 100 branch offices, and retired when your company had shrunk to 20 branches, would you consider your tenure a success or failure? Actually, no need to think about it because your ### would have been fired long ago. In the wally world of DCI, though, this track record is hailed as success.

Ignoring and alienating an entire fan base doesnt seem the smartest way to try and save or expand an activity. The alumni, the purists, fogies, whatever you want to call them/us are the ones that have been the most loyal, that didnt abandon the activity after age-out, that spend the money on tickets, merchandise...etc.....

Adding woodwinds to make the activity just like band only saturates the marching arts, if I was 17 and just spent my school year in band and going to band competitions, I will surely find something else to do with my summer, considering there are many more choices out there now...supposed I wanted something different, more challenging in the marching arts arena for the summer, umm...where is it ?? It was killed and turned into the smae thing I mastered in school. Hardly sounds like a great marketing scheme to me.

~G~

Are they alienating an entire fan base? I tend to believe that audiences evolve with art forms. It is more likely that DCI is/would be alienating it's oldest fans. When you talk about alumni, purists, fogies, etc...think of the alumni who began marching when Bb was the norm. Soon these people will be the fogies, and they will expect different things than we did when we marched. As long as DCI continues on the path of implementing change over time, they will survive.

As for you comments about saturation and interest. That is not for one person to decide. I for one enjoy competing at the highest level possible regardless of saturation. High School Bands will never achieve at the level of DCI...

If you were a new CEO taking over a company with over 100 branch offices, and retired when your company had shrunk to 20 branches, would you consider your tenure a success or failure? Actually, no need to think about it because your ### would have been fired long ago. In the wally world of DCI, though, this track record is hailed as success.

This is hard to compare to business. I see your point for sure (more corps=more successful activity) and I can appreciate what you are saying. All I am saying is that as long as corps are producing quality shows, and there is enough to still cause a great competition (I think we can all agree '07 was one of the most exciting competitive seasons in history), drum corps is still very much alive.

This is hard to compare to business. I see your point for sure (more corps=more successful activity) and I can appreciate what you are saying. All I am saying is that as long as corps are producing quality shows, and there is enough to still cause a great competition (I think we can all agree '07 was one of the most exciting competitive seasons in history), drum corps is still very much alive.

DCI and each of its constituent corps depend on revenue flow. They are very much a business and need to be run as such. You can have great quality, but if you're shrinking, you're dying.

DCI and each of its constituent corps depend on revenue flow. They are very much a business and need to be run as such. You can have great quality, but if you're shrinking, you're dying.

Would you agree then that most of the contribution of the declining corps is not the progression of the activity, but because it just costs more money to tour in general (isn't it something like $1,000,000 per year?)?

Would you agree then that most of the contribution of the declining corps is not the progression of the activity, but because it just costs more money to tour in general (isn't it something like $1,000,000 per year?)?

Absolutely, which is a result of the DCI touring model. You create a model like that, you are setting up 80% of your corps to fail. In short - a flawed business model. It's the very reason I advocate a DCA junior, weekend only division.

Edited by kusankusho

Absolutely, which is a result of the DCI touring model. You create a model like that, you are setting up 80% of your corps to fail. In short - a flawed business model. It's the very reason I advocate a DCA junior, weekend only division.

I agree with you. The only thing though, is as of this summer, DCI is trying to fix this problem. The tour has been shortened by 2 weeks (starts 2 weeks later in June). Hopefully this change will help strengthen the corps we have, and offer a chance for more corps to break out. Along with the topic though, woodwinds would not be the answer. The answer is figuring out a better tour to allow more people the opportunity to get to the seats.

There will always be a difference between Marching Band and Drum Corps no matter what instruments are played on the field.

Drum Corps

Winter

Spring

Summer

Travel

Number of Shows

15,000 miles

80 days

Auditions

Cost to join

Operational costs

Non-profit

Military Marching style

Choice

Talented youth from around the world can join any corps

Age-range

Teaching Style

Attitude

Dedication

Discipline

13 hour practice days

Blisters

Injuries

De-hydration

Sun Burn

Working toward PERFECTION

Eating off food truck 4-5 times a day

Sleeping on gym floors

Sleeping in buses

Changing clothes in public

Cold Showers

Lack of sleep

No showers

No housing

Washing clothes twice in a four-week period

...and the list goes on and on.

The same reasons why we marched drum corps is why they're marching it today. But none of these things have really changed that much accept for the operational costs and the cost to join. This is what makes drum corps different from a Marching Band.

There will always be young talented people that want to do this. But from some of the things on my list above, it's hard to see why. I guess the differences are still attractive to our youth like they were to us back in the day.

I will always be a fan of DCI because of what it's done for me as a person and what it will continue to do for young people everywhere!

Good luck to all drum corps of the future. God bless and stay safe.

Edited by xbones7480

I agree with you. The only thing though, is as of this summer, DCI is trying to fix this problem. The tour has been shortened by 2 weeks (starts 2 weeks later in June). Hopefully this change will help strengthen the corps we have, and offer a chance for more corps to break out. Along with the topic though, woodwinds would not be the answer. The answer is figuring out a better tour to allow more people the opportunity to get to the seats.

I hope it helps, especially the Open class corps. I've seen first hand the good they do for the kids that participate. I'd still like to see a weekend only division somewhere. It takes a good concentration of member corps in the competetive area to make if fly, but every (formerly) div 3 corps can tell you about losing kids to jobs or summer school as the season approaches. Weekends only would give them both the job/school and the corps experience.